Index # of selected embedded chart

RLang

Hi,
Probably something simple that I missed. I'd like to access the index
number (rather than text name) of the selected chart on a particular sheet.
I'd like to prompt a confirmation message to a specific action a user will
take that will affect the selected chart and I'd like to include the chart
number in the confirmation message. As I've discovered, the name loses
significance as multiple charts are created and deleted over time. There's
some other work arounds that I can do but if I can activate a chart using an
index number, I'd hope that I could read this same number somehow.
So in my code I can envision something like....

Sub ConfirmationMsg

Dim ans as integer

ans = Msgbox ("You are about to change something on Chart #" &
activechart.index & chr(10) & "Do you want to continue?",vbYesNo)

End Sub

Unfortunately, I can get any variation of *.index to work.

Thanks much.

Jim Cone

An embedded chart on a worksheet is contained within a "ChartObject"...
'---
Sub Track()
MsgBox "Index = " & ActiveChart.Parent.Index & vbCr & _
"Chart object name = " & ActiveChart.Parent.Name & vbCr & _
"Chart name = " & ActiveChart.Name
End Sub
'---
The above only works on the active (selected) chart.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"RLang" <[email protected]>