Increase the performance and lifespan of your SSD

John Doe

Any usefulness this thing's speculation might have had is passé,
replaced with opinions from people who are much smarter and more
experienced.

John Doe

My speculation was no better than those who had never considered
the possibility that (pagefile.sys) might be treated differently
by SSD wear leveling.

I reposted under a different subject because the prior thread was
filled almost entirely with idiots and/or trolls that completely
missed the point. Talking about half-literate nym-shifting trolls
like this thing, that should read my original post and notice the
question mark in the first paragraph...

Gene E. Bloch

Any usefulness this thing's speculation might have had is passé,
replaced with opinions from people who are much smarter and more
experienced.

This poster needs to learn how to post. He put his whole reply after his
sig delimiter, which is why it was automatically greyed out in my
newsreader and also why it automatically disappeared in my reply. He
also seems to have changed fonts to something pretty much unreadable,
but I fixed that.

I also followed ZB's lead in limiting the crossposting.

As for this poster's opinion, I smile wryly :)

John Doe

This poster needs to learn how to post.

Says a complete newbie.
He put his whole reply after his sig delimiter,

Wrong. I put this thing's whole reply after my signature
delimiter.
which is why it was automatically greyed out in my newsreader
and also why it automatically disappeared in my reply.

It wasn't worth reading.
He also seems to have changed fonts to something pretty much
unreadable, but I fixed that.

That's just naïve. Nobody with any experience using a computer on
the Internet would suggest that. Your client determines your font.
Something like that might have to do with encoding, but it has
nothing to do with me.

If you need help with posting, or help with understanding other
people's posts, ask in an appropriate group.

Gene E. Bloch

Says a complete newbie.

Wrong. I put this thing's whole reply after my signature
delimiter.

It wasn't worth reading.

That's just naîµ¥. Nobody with any experience using a computer on
the Internet would suggest that. Your client determines your font.
Something like that might have to do with encoding, but it has
nothing to do with me.

If you need help with posting, or help with understanding other
people's posts, ask in an appropriate group.

My earlier impressions of you in this NG were not totally positive.
Finally, though, things have changed.

Nil

I think we can stop kicking a dead horse already.

Oh, my God - did he really say that, after what he himself said earlier
in this very thread??
Don't post something as if you knew, when in fact
yours was pure speculation.

Oh, my God - did he really say that, after what he himself said earlier
in this very thread??

Nil

My earlier impressions of you in this NG were not totally positive.
Finally, though, things have changed.

What took you so long? I think most people realized it months or years
ago.

John Doe

Nil said:
What took you so long?

Not that it matters, but... Now your impressions of me are totally
positive, Nildo?
I think most people realized it months or years ago.

Realized that you are a regular troll, Nildo.

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Subject: Re: Increase the performance and lifespan of your SSD
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:36:22 -0500
References: <kd9dje$i8m$1 dont-email.me> <caidnUDv9eUFz2XNnZ2dnUVZ8jGdnZ2d brightview.co.uk> <kd9nqe$u0b$2 dont-email.me> <MPG.2b62333ef08288969897fc news.eternal-september.org> <kd9s8q$rje$1 dont-email.me> <MPG.2b632636b92f15399897fd news.eternal-september.org> <31dmfk94gnsz$.dlg stumbler1907.invalid> <kdcp31$lp4$1 dont-email.me> <1fu9l48p7iimd$.dlg stumbler1907.invalid> <kdcu63$bov$1 dont-email.me> <zqcefyi605ao$.dlg stumbler1907.invalid>

John Doe

Looks like a Nildo is on a drunken trolling spree...

--

Changed the follow-up groups
From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 21:35:52 -0500

I think we can stop kicking a dead horse already.

Oh, my God - did he really say that, after what he himself said earlier
in this very thread??
Don't post something as if you knew, when in fact
yours was pure speculation.

Oh, my God - did he really say that, after what he himself said earlier
in this very thread??

John Doe

Zaphod Beeblebrox said:
Get a clue, man. Google SSD wear leveling *without* throwing in
your precious pagefile.sys term and read, and learn.

Or maybe you should get a clue, and realize that I already have a
clue, by searching the UseNet archive for my e-mail ID and (SSD
"wear leveling"). Hindsight is 20-20. Some of the speculators can
pretend that they knew it all, bolstered by looking at the more
intelligent and experienced posters' replies. My research of wear
leveling shows that at one point it was done above the firmware
level. So stop pretending that you know it all.

Robin Bignall

What took you so long? I think most people realized it months or years
ago.

I pointed out to him months ago, politely, that "John Doe" was not a
wise choice of pseudonym because it was being caught by my kill filter
along with all of the other troll and idiot "John Doe"s across groups.
The advice was not appreciated so he remains there.

Gene E. Bloch

What took you so long? I think most people realized it months or years
ago.

I only became aware of him recently, but mostly, I was having fun
wording my remark that way :)

Now I get to read his reply to the above. I can wait. Oops. I meant
*hardly* wait.

Yousuf Khan

Anybody else consider the possibility that periodically moving the
swap file on an SSD might help prolong its life while reaping the
benefit of an SSD swapfile?

No, it's of no consequence.
In other words... Instead of putting the swap file on a conventional
drive, keep it on your SSD. Every once in a while, but just the swap
file so that Windows moves it to another location. You can do that
easily enough by deleting the swap file and then copying files to
intrude on that former swap file space. Then you have Windows make
another swapfile in a different location.

Absolutely no need. Though I agree there is no problem keeping the
swapfile on the SSD. But there is absolutely no need for you to "move"
the swapfile around, it's done automatically by the SSD itself whenever
a write happens on any portion of it. SSD's do not ever write to the
same cell consecutively. Cells that are marked dirty get put into a
reserve pool, where they are then reset in the background, ready to be
reused somewhere else at some point in the future.

Yousuf Khan

Yousuf Khan

Anybody who's done any reading about SSDs knows about wear
leveling. But as any technically inclined user knows, an algorithm
doesn't always cover every base. The (pagefile.sys) is different
from practically every other file in Windows. I have searched
hard, but not found anything conclusive or authoritative about an
SSD handling (pagefile.sys).

So the fact that there's no one else that's asking this question,
doesn't that clue you in that there's no issue here? You have convinced
yourself about the special "nature" of this one particular file, and
won't accept any answers that contradict your preconceived notions?

There is nothing special about the pagefile.sys below the OS level. At
the SSD hardware level this is just some more data, like anything else,
it doesn't treat it specially, in fact it doesn't even know how to treat
any files specially, that's too high-level for it to understand.

Yousuf Khan

John Doe

Drunk? Otherwise it might have noticed several of my posts already
acknowledging the opinions of more knowledgeable and experienced
posters...

Rodney Pont

At
the SSD hardware level this is just some more data, like anything else,
it doesn't treat it specially, in fact it doesn't even know how to treat
any files specially, that's too high-level for it to understand.

To put the above slightly differently:
The SSD doesn't even know it's a file, it's just data that has to be
stored and retrieved when requested. It's no different to data
describing directories to the SSD.

Yousuf Khan

I don't see why you are so confident that the SSD wear leveling
algorithm would treat (pagefile.sys) like any ordinary file.
Obviously it doesn't, considering a reboot is required whenever
that file is changed.

Oh my god, did you just say that?!? You're obviously one of those who
only has enough information to hang yourself by. Windows, the operating
system, is the one that requires a reboot, Windows is the one that
treats pagefile.sys specially! It's not the SSD that cares, it's Windows!

The SSD itself has a layer of abstraction below the interface that
Windows or any other operating system isn't even aware of. This is
actually no different than the case with hard disks, because they too
used to have layers of abstraction below the OS which they used to
replace bad sectors with good ones, etc. But the SSD takes this several
steps further.

In the meantime, you've used nothing but bellicosity and ill-manners to
insult every person in this thread that tried to help you. All to cover
up your obvious lack of knowledge. What was the purpose of that?
As far as I know, the operating system addresses the swap file
differently than other files. That's why it is unmovable on the
drive. Seems to me it would be addressing the actual locations on
the drive, instead of working its way through drive software.
Unless you're an engineer, I'm very sure you don't know better.

Yes, "as far as you know", which you've demonstrated is not much. It's
Windows that makes it unmoveable, so any utility, like a defragger will
not be allowed to touch it, because Windows will prevent it. However,
Windows has no control over its location below the SATA interface level.
The SSD move it all over the place as it likes, whenever it is
necessary, but it doesn't tell Windows about any of it. That's because
Windows doesn't need to know, and it doesn't care how it's organized at
the physical level. At the logical level, Windows does care, but Windows
deals with the logical level, the SSD deals with it at the physical level.

Yousuf Khan