Include existing ActiveX Dll without including it in the setup

Discussion in 'Microsoft VB .NET' started by Manfred, May 22, 2007.

  1. Manfred

    Manfred Guest

    Hello

    I have created an application which uses an ActiveX DLL from another
    vendor. I'm not permited to redistribute the DLL and need to access it
    from the location where it is installed (the path may change from one
    system to another).

    If I set the reference to the DLL it will add it to my application
    directory automatically. If I remove it from the setup, the application
    will fail.

    Creating the setup was a pain in the a** up to now (I'm new in VB.Net)

    How can I set the reference to the mentioned component. Is there any
    solution?

    Thanks for any help

    Regards

    Manfred

    Manfred, May 22, 2007

  2. Manfred

    Duracel Guest

    Manfred,

    If the control is registered, then you can reference it and just ship the
    interop library. The registry should know where it is so you don't need to
    store a path to it.

    Robin

    Duracel, May 22, 2007

  3. Manfred

    Manfred Guest

    Robin

    Thank you for your reply.

    I'm unsure if the dll is registered. How can I check it. I tried to
    check it in VB6 References. It shows up there. I'm unsure because I have
    referenced it before in VB.Net.

    Another question is the interop.dll

    Does this file not contain any parts of the DLL itself? How about
    licensing if I distributing such an interop file?

    Regards

    Manfred

    Manfred, May 22, 2007
  4. Manfred

    Spam Catcher Guest

    Manfred <> wrote in news::

    > Does this file not contain any parts of the DLL itself? How about
    > licensing if I distributing such an interop file?

    I don't believe the interop contains any DLL code. It's really an interface
    file.

    Spam Catcher, May 22, 2007
  5. Manfred

    Manfred Guest

    Spam Catcher wrote:

    > Manfred <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Does this file not contain any parts of the DLL itself? How about
    > > licensing if I distributing such an interop file?

    > I don't believe the interop contains any DLL code. It's really an interface
    > file.

    Thank you.

    Good to know. I will run a test and include only the interop files.

    There are two of them interop.dllname and AXinterop.dllname

    I'm also unsure why there are two?

    Regards

    Manfred

    Manfred, May 22, 2007
  6. Manfred

    Robin Tucker Guest

    One of them is the interface wrapper, the other the control wrapper. If you
    just referenced a COM type library for example, you would only get the one.

    Robin Tucker, May 22, 2007