in need of help quickly.

Reaction score
i suspect i have a virus on my computer.

im currently using AVG free version, and no adware... neither of them have found anything.

i was told theres a particular virus i might have and theres only one or 2 programmes which may find, but untill i find a new job i cant afford them.... anybody know of any free ones which might do the job???

none of my shortcuts will work on my desk top or in my start menu, and i cant send files over msn.

it might be damage left from a virus i got rid of recently but i doubt it as its only started today.

Reaction score
doing that now.

i just realised, my noadware is un-registered :( and that has found 50+ infections all with a risk level of dangerous or severe... AVG hasnt detected one of these.... im scanning now with that link(thanks by the way) also will this allow me to get rid of the infections or just say what ive got?

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
If I remember right, it will tell you what you got and help you clean your pc.

Reaction score
Ya might not have what ya think.
Trojans are more common to get nowdays. If it seem that your PC has a mind of its own and doing funny stuff ya might be remotely controlled by a hacker.
The new trojans can do things to ya while not connected to the Internet. almost unpluged, ect.
Desktops going away sounds like it. Programs not connecting, CD going in and out, finding stuff installed that you didnt, ect.
Do you have any Anti-trojan scanners intalled?
Most Anti-virus can only find about 15% of the trojans.

You can verify been hacked by using a TCP/IP logger, and do WHOIS on the IP addresses that it records, and using Ant-trojan scanners.

Oh spyware isnt a Trojan so AD-AWARE will only work on a few.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i did a reboot and my desktop shortcuts worked again and my start-up ones did.

but noadware detected a whole load of infections, but avg didnt and its looking like this scan isnt detecting any either.

TECH... could you possibly advise me to some free software like you mentioned that would be of use to me for this problem

thanks

Reaction score
AGV will find a lot of trojans but thats not what its for.

freeware A2 requires registration- email

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/

Ewido free beta, free with automatic updates diabled.

http://www.ewido.net/en/why/

PestPatrol cost around $30 but worth it.

It better to have more than one trojan scanner cause each will find trojans differently, but dont put more than one antivirus on cause it will conflict.

These anti spy will find a lot of trojans also:
Google

MirosoftAntispy

Disspy

Reaction score
OH if a hacker does damage to your OS anti-trojan wont fix that it only removes the trojan.

ladypcer

The Linux Lady
Reaction score
Keep in mind that spyware, trojans and virus's are all different things, and most programs only deal with one and not the others, so you will need to use a program for each.

Of course, you could just use Linux and not have to worry about all the above. ;)

Reaction score
Oh here is a TCP logger with WHOIS.

Ya can see every IP address that connects to your PC with this like your service provider, websites, spyware, and hackers.

Click on Netstat hope ya enjoy it.

http://www.inetquery.com/

Reaction score
Yes Linux is very good againt the hackers, but its not difficult to steath Windows to make it better.

Most people just need a little help with doing it, and thats why I joined the forum to do a little help.

Sometimes freeware can do it all. Linux is one that can.

Reaction score
excellent thanks very much, ewido has found a few and deleted them, just waiting for the scan to finish, and im going to try find linux now and try that... cheers all for the help its extremely appreciated, and i will let you know if all the help has worked in saving my computer lol

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
excellent, thanks alot mate.. i will try these now.. much appreciated
You NEED added and extra protection.

You NEED to install, update and run, if using XP, ALL the following ...

SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware SE or SpyBotSearch&Destroy, Microsoft Anti-Spyware AND a good anti-virus program ... and you NEED to use a Firewall, XPs own firewall is better than no firewall ... yes, all of them. :rolleyes:

Once infected with some of the more newer "nasties" may result in a clean install ... prevention is better than the cure.

As for using Linux ... well, lets just say that it has exceedingly better protection BUT, it is not an operating system for everyone. ;)

Reaction score
Hi there, after testing most of the spywares and adwares eliminators, i found that the perfect ones that found and remove the most dangerous spywares are spysweeper from www.webroot.com and pest patrol from computer associates www.ca.com.

Try them.You'll be happy.

Reaction score
i use norton firewall, i need to re-install my ad-aware SE and ill find the other 2 mentioned, cheers

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
leey2ki said:
excellent thanks very much, ewido has found a few and deleted them, just waiting for the scan to finish, and im going to try find linux now and try that... cheers all for the help its extremely appreciated, and i will let you know if all the help has worked in saving my computer lol
Leey2ki,

Linux is an Operating system ... it will not run your Microsoft programs without some help, it will not run any of your games ... You will have to learn how it works, and that cannot be learned in a few weeks.

However, don't let me stop you from at least 'having a look' and see for yourself ... Linux has its benefits, and its pitfalls.

Those of us here support one another in its use, if you trip over my rantings on Linux, remember, they are my rantings and nothing more. ;)

Reaction score
lol thanks alot mate, ive been concidering linux for a while now, but being a windows user for so long, its a programme a OS i know n feel comfortable with, but ill definately look into linux abit more and see if it will benefit me using it

Reaction score
wow.. spybot and AVG between them only found like 60 infections on 2 hard drives between them.. i just scanned with ewido and found nearly 7000

Ask a Question