Reaction score
Ok can u help

I was getting an error at boot time stating that my
system file was missing or corrupt. I used the repair
console to copy the backup version of the file to my
windows directory structure. Now when I boot XP Home, I
get an lsass.exe system error stating "When trying to update a password,
this return status indicates that the value provided as
the current password is not correct." The pc then starts to re-boot again... and again..... and again

I thought that replacing the software file with the backup might sort things out
but when when I try to use the repair console, I am
prompted for the Administrator password and the only
password that I have ever set does not work. Is there
another way to enter repair console?

Thanks,

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The "console" Administrator does not have a password, unless you set one.

You should be able to use the repair console by booting to the XP CD, if you have a real one, and not a restore CD that most manufactures love to issue.

I personally do NOT suggest anyone, unless an employee of MS, even bothers to fire up the command console ... you really need to know what you are doing and its command structure is very basic.

The lsass.exe system error could be the work of a virus, I doubt this, you can replace lsass.exe from a backup.

Have you tried getting into safe mode, F8 at boot ?

An easy alternative is to do a "dirty install" this just re-installs XP and leaves your data intact, some programs may need reinstalling, but again, your data will still be there.

Good luck!

:user:

oh, welcome to the forums :thumb:

Reaction score
Perhaps I gave you to much info. My REAL problem seems to be that my pc won't boot up because of the lsass.exe system error. It just gets in a loop. This happens in safe mode and last known good configuration as well. I didn't get a windows cd's when I purchased the pc. Can I do a "dirty install" from any windows cd. I don't pretend to know how to do this install but I'm sure I can look it up on the internet.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, you can use a "friends" XP CD to reinstall your system ... just make sure you use an XP Pro disk if you have Pro, or XP Home disk if you have Home.

Boot to the CD, you may have to tell the BIOS to do that, skip the first instance of a "repair" and continue as a normal install ... you will see a second instance to repair XP, use that and it will look as though you are installing as normal.

When you restart you should have all your data & most, if not all programs, but you will need to go get all the updates from Windows Update Site.

http://bob3160.googlepages.com/restoringwindowsxp

Be sure to use YOUR Licence Key which should be on your PC somewhere.

user.gif

Ask a Question