Importing Web site into Front Page 2002

G

I want to import my web site (which is currently NOT in FRONT PAGE) to Front Page. When I import the files from the site, I assume that the site will STILL be active? In other words, am I removing this site from the web?

S

Steve Easton

If the site is on a server with FrontPage extensions, open the site in
FrontPage by clicking File > Open web... and entering http://yourwebname.com
when prompted enter the user name and password.
Then Select File > Publish Web... and select a location on your hard drive.
FrontPage will Publish a "Copy" back to your machine.

Note: it works better if you first create a new folder to publish it too
in: My Documents\My Webs and then point it to the new folder.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

Jan said:
I want to import my web site (which is currently NOT in FRONT PAGE) to
Front Page. When I import the files from the site, I assume that the site
will STILL be active? In other words, am I removing this site from the web?

G

I just moved my sites from Homestead (software & server) to Frontpage & Catalog.com. All my sites are now dead until I republish in Frontpage. Not a good thing since the sites are all out of whack switching to the new software. I was told this was not supposed to happen. But it has. Be careful.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

No you're not removing the site from the web, you're just making a copy to your local machine. The online site will remain the same until you make changes on your local copy then Publish it back to the online version.

| I want to import my web site (which is currently NOT in FRONT PAGE) to Front Page. When I import the files from the site, I assume that the site will STILL be active? In other words, am I removing this site from the web?

?

How are your sites dead? All you're doing is making a copy of it...wha happened?

| I just moved my sites from Homestead (software & server) to Frontpage & Catalog.com. All my sites are now dead until I republish in Frontpage. Not a good thing since the sites are all out of whack switching to the new software. I was told this was not supposed to happen. But it has. Be careful.

S

Stefan B Rusynko

PS
FP File Import will only import the files "visible" to the IE browser (it acts like an intelligent File Save in IE to navigate your
site and save htm pages and links it sees on the pages)
- it will not import _hidden or unlined files or scripts
IMHO
Use a 3rd party FTP to FTP your whole site to a folder and then open that folder in FP

--

No you're not removing the site from the web, you're just making a copy to your local machine. The online site will remain the same
until you make changes on your local copy then Publish it back to the online version.

| I want to import my web site (which is currently NOT in FRONT PAGE) to Front Page. When I import the files from the site, I
assume that the site will STILL be active? In other words, am I removing this site from the web?

?

oh no wonder...didn't know that...

| PS
| FP File Import will only import the files "visible" to the IE browser (it acts like an intelligent File Save in IE to navigate your
| site and save htm pages and links it sees on the pages)
| - it will not import _hidden or unlined files or scripts
| IMHO
| Use a 3rd party FTP to FTP your whole site to a folder and then open that folder in FP
|
| --
|
| _____________________________________________
| SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ]
| "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-;
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| _____________________________________________
|
|
| No you're not removing the site from the web, you're just making a copy to your local machine. The online site will remain the same
| until you make changes on your local copy then Publish it back to the online version.
|
|
| | I want to import my web site (which is currently NOT in FRONT PAGE) to Front Page. When I import the files from the site, I
| assume that the site will STILL be active? In other words, am I removing this site from the web?
|
|

Ask a Question