Immediate window for debugging

Wapiti

Ok, I'm new to .net, but getting there (I think)...

When I run my vb.net application in the emulator and have a break point in
my code - how am I able to print out diagnostics in the immediate window
(command window?) like we did in VB6?

such as

Print myVar

To have it show my variable contents?

Also, I'm not able to modify my code after pausing execution.

Is this because its running in an emulator??

Thanks!

Mike

You cannot call 'Print' from with in your code. You will have to set a watch
or type the variable in the immediate window.

You cannot modify code when debugging. If you modify code you will have to
restart your debug session.

Wapiti

Is this just for the compact framework, or in all .net? I haven't even
played in the non-CF environment.

I tried typing the variable in the immediate window - nothing happens.

There's no way to debug.print from w/in the code anymore? Are there
reasons for that?

-m

Wapiti

Ok, I think I found it:
Imports System.Diagnostics
Debug.WriteLine("Test this message to the immediate window")
Now, how does one quickly learn all these changes from VB6 to VB.net. I'm
willing to read and explore, but there must be a good reference or tutorial
available? I'm finding myself spinning my wheels on such simple tasks - is
there a better way?

Wapiti

I jumped too soon ... debug.writeline looked too promising as a viable
solution. It doesn't output to the immediate window - that I've seen
anyway..... ?????

Chris Tacke, eMVP

Debug.Writeline outputs to the Console if you have one. PPCs don't though
many CE devices do.

There is currently no mechanism to write back to Studio from the App.

-Chris