I'm afraid to ask......

JMac

I have an ASUS A7V133, a real work horse in my network. Tonight I added an
additional harddrive. When I plugged the power cord into the supply the LED
on the motherboard didn't light up. When I pushed the power button on the
front of the case the fans didn't spin and the computer didn't boot.

I've tried this with 2 working power supplies with the same result (the
first PS is only a week old).

Any thoughts what this problem might be?

David

Check the cable that connects to the power on button the the motherboard
(may have come loose when you put the hd in),

JMac

Check the cable that connects to the power on button the the motherboard
(may have come loose when you put the hd in),
Yep, checked that.

Even if it were loose/disconnected the LED would (should) light up on the
board.

Thanks for the suggestion.

JMac

Probably an obvious question, but did you try disconnecting the new drive?
Good thought.

I have just the main power plugged into the motherboard and nothing else,
no hardrive CD-R, floppies, nothing. If the PS were good I'd expect the
motherboard LED to light up if nothing else, even if the case switch is bad.

No power no LED light.

I'm stumped (or is it stupid?)

Ixnei

Good thought.

I have just the main power plugged into the motherboard and nothing else,
no hardrive CD-R, floppies, nothing. If the PS were good I'd expect the
motherboard LED to light up if nothing else, even if the case switch is bad.

No power no LED light.

I'm stumped (or is it stupid?)

You should have as a minimum a processor and memory in your motherboard
(as well as a video card). Perhaps you do - but it is not clear from your
post.

I've heard Athlon boards can be finnicky (sp - it is K7 correct?), and you
may need to reset your bios (either with jumper or by removing the battery
for some amount of time) - check the manual for details.

There's always the possibility that ESD damage occurred during your
"upgrade"...

Double-check that:
1. power switch jumper is properly connected to motherboard
2. atx supply is completely and correctly plugged into motherboard
3. switch on the back of power supply is set to on (1 not 0)
4. power supply is set to 115V position (if in USA)
5. power is live on your surge protector (outlet you plug into)
6. power cord plugged from surge protector to power supply...

--
We HAVE been at war with Iraq for 13 years now, bombing their
country on at least a weekly basis.

dgk

I have an ASUS A7V133, a real work horse in my network. Tonight I added an
additional harddrive. When I plugged the power cord into the supply the LED
on the motherboard didn't light up. When I pushed the power button on the
front of the case the fans didn't spin and the computer didn't boot.

I've tried this with 2 working power supplies with the same result (the
first PS is only a week old).

Any thoughts what this problem might be?
Well, it's a pita but pull it out of the case and prop it up on some
cardboard. Just MB, Video card, memory. Try a PCI video card?

BigJIm

when pulling the power plug out of the back of the PS did you inadvertently
bump the main power switch on the back of the PS

David

Also check

1) the dip switch on the power supply
2) make sure the power supply is not plugged in backwards
3) Test the power supply by shorting pins 13-14 which should case it to turn
on if its good. http://www.7volts.com/atx2.jpg for a diagram

JMac