I'm a new to laptops.......can I replace the graphics card??

Reaction score
I'm a PC user and I'm considering buying a laptop off of a friend.

It's a fujitsu siemens and the spec is excellent.......except for one thing. The graphics card is only a 64MB ATI radeon 9000.

I work alot with 3D graphics, so this graphics card isn't good enough. Is it possible to change it easily?

I wanted at least a 128MB GeForce FX Go5700.....or something like that.

Does anyone know what I should do?? I have no idea whether it's possible to change graphics cards on laptops........and if I can where do I buy them?

Any help and advice much appreciated!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It is almost impossible to upgrade them I'm afraid, as they are often soldered onto the motherboard :( The ATI 9000 isn't too bad, but not the best!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I've kind of changed my mind about buying it now.

It was a 3.06Ghz, L2 cache 512KB, 512RAM, 60GB HDD, DVD RW +CD RW, 15" screen, ATI 64MB RADEON 9000.

She wanted just £600 for it........but what's the point if you can't upgrade anything? Right?

Maybe I'll just stick with my trusty desktop PC for now.

Reaction score
Nooooooooo!

Buy a laptop, they are great!

It looks like it is worth buying, i wanted to upgrade the graphics on mine, look further down this forum, once i asked if there was a "USB Graphics Card" !!!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
If you have questions about laptops ask KGB...

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anywhere would actually change the graphics card for me? Like the manufacturer of the laptop, so it's covered by the warranty.

I don't want to start messing about with soldering bits of laptop together.....it's all bound to go horribly wrong!!

Reaction score
Thanks Alf,

I don't know off hand mojouk, but ill find out for you!

They are fiddly, so small buisinesses would not do it, what make is it?

KGB

Reaction score
OK, done my reaserch,

It does not look good, it may in years to come:

http://news.com.com/2100-1006-992407.html

How much money do you want to spend, because there are some reiews that say you can replace the MOBO with a better card.

I have read one person saying that you cannot replace the graphics card, but you can add more memory to it, ill just check this out, i don't know whether it is true.

KGB

Reaction score
Hi.

I don't want to spend much....I just want a 128MB good brand graphics card. 64MB is too slow for doing 3D graphics programs......but maybe I should just get a laptop with the graphics card already in it. I just really wanted to know if they are as easy to change as regular desktop PC's.......

You've answered my question, they're not.

Thanks for all you're help everyone and KGB

Reaction score
You need a laptop...

don't bother with a desktop, like you say, you can just get a laptop with a bigger card in it, but it is too difficult / expensive to upgrade one that is allready in!

Have fun...

KGB

Reaction score
I believe the graphics cards in Alienware laptops can be upgraded, but the laptops cost alot. I can remember reading on their site that they can, but when i looked again i couldnt find where it said it.

http://www.alienware.co.uk/

Reaction score
kgb, although your enthusiasum for laptops is comendable, don't you think the advise you are giving is rather bias and therefore inaccurate?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I kinda agree with techy on this one, sorry KGB. Did you have some kind of horrific expereince with a desktop?

Reaction score
You could say that...

I so far have managed to kill 3 desktops withoud doing anything!!! (all of them were in need of updating)

One just blew up, smoke coming out of the back, cracking noise etc... (Dud power supply)
Two just decided not to boot alltogether!

wheras i have only partually killed 1 laptop - repaired next day

so computers just don't like me, laptops seem to like me a bit better

Sorry if i seen bias (d/t/ ), but ever since i have used laptops, i wandered how i ever lived with out them, they are small, mobile, and amazing!

KGB

Reaction score
Horses for courses imo

Laptops will never beat desktops for bleeding edge power, and upgradability. Then again, I cant sit on a 4hr train journey with my desktop in the other seat :)

Both have there advantages its just a case of deciding why you want the PC for mainly, and which best suits that scenario.

Ask a Question