IIS & FPExtentions

JCO

Platform is W2K Professional.
I'm running IIS because it had to be loaded in order to install FrontPage
Extensions. IIS really slows my network down and all web browsing is slow.
Is there anyway to unload it when not needed yet load it when it is needed
(on the fly). Even if I can kill it from the Task Manager?

This really brings up the question as to ... do I really need it? The
server must have FP Ext., that's understandable. But why must I have
extensions and IIS running?

I'm working as the client side not the server. I update my website to a
server that has FP Extension and I want to continue business that way. I
definitly want to make use of the extension as oppose to the FTP method.
But on the client side, do I need either (or both) of these items on my
computer?

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

You don't need it unless you want to test stuff on your local machine. You can just work with disk based webs - I do because my machine is too old for new server. It's really not that inconvienent.

| Platform is W2K Professional.
| I'm running IIS because it had to be loaded in order to install FrontPage
| Extensions. IIS really slows my network down and all web browsing is slow.
| Is there anyway to unload it when not needed yet load it when it is needed
| (on the fly). Even if I can kill it from the Task Manager?
|
| This really brings up the question as to ... do I really need it? The
| server must have FP Ext., that's understandable. But why must I have
| extensions and IIS running?
|
| I'm working as the client side not the server. I update my website to a
| server that has FP Extension and I want to continue business that way. I
| definitly want to make use of the extension as oppose to the FTP method.
| But on the client side, do I need either (or both) of these items on my
| computer?

Thomas A. Rowe

JCO,

Did you see the other replies?

IIS shouldn't effect the performs of you systems.

Do you by chance have Index Server installed and running, as that can reduce performance.
Do you have Windows set to compress files, as that can reduce performance.

Other things that can effect performance is your network and the drivers that are being loaded.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

JCO

I read the replys... that I don't need it.

Index Service is disabled so that is not the problem.
I went into the Component Service and set IIS Admin Service to Manual.

Thanks

JCO

Thanks, that is the answer I was looking for.

"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message You don't need it unless you want to test stuff on your local machine. You
can just work with disk based webs - I do because my machine is too old for
new server. It's really not that inconvienent.

| Platform is W2K Professional.
| I'm running IIS because it had to be loaded in order to install FrontPage
| Extensions. IIS really slows my network down and all web browsing is
slow.
| Is there anyway to unload it when not needed yet load it when it is needed
| (on the fly). Even if I can kill it from the Task Manager?
|
| This really brings up the question as to ... do I really need it? The
| server must have FP Ext., that's understandable. But why must I have
| extensions and IIS running?
|
| I'm working as the client side not the server. I update my website to a
| server that has FP Extension and I want to continue business that way. I
| definitly want to make use of the extension as oppose to the FTP method.
| But on the client side, do I need either (or both) of these items on my
| computer?

Thomas A. Rowe

Ok, if you are not going to use IIS, but if you have worked on your web content via http://localhost
(IIS), then you need to publish the current web to c:\webname to make it a disk-based web.