If funtion help

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in a racing league and have a page in my spreadsheet which will distribute points to a driver depending upon where he/she has finished in the race.

As an example, the driver who finishes in the 1st postion receives 21 points, 2nd position receives 17 points, etc. The list contains a total of twelve drivers. My intention was to enter the finishing position of each driver in a particular cell, and in another cell the formula will calculate the appropriate points. I have attempted to use the "If" function, as in IF(L22="1","21", If(, etc: However, a well known limitation to Excel is that you cannot "nest" more than 7 functions with this statement.

I have used the CHOOSE function, which works nicely as when the finishing position is entered, the formula will assign the driver the appropriate number of points. However, I am still running into an issue. Each cell that has the CHOOSE funtion looks like this: ######. It's onlly until I enter the finishing position for the driver that it will return the points awarded.

The last column of the spreadsheet there is a "Total Points" column which will add the total number of points for each driver throughout the race season. The cells in that column look like this: $VALUE! It is only until I enter the finishing position for the driver for every race that the Total Points column will change from $VALUE! to, say a total points of 75. I would like the Total Points column to show accumulated points after every race. With this funtion you have to finish every race in a season to show the total number of points for each driver

I have noticed on a number of websites, such as this that the VLOOKUP function may be an option, but I am uncertain on how to use this for my spreadsheet. This is probably very confusing and have worded this the best that I can being a beginner to the program. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Ask a Question