IF formula in Word Table

I'm trying to insert the equivalent of Excel: =IF(B5<=9,"10
days",IF(B5<=19,"15 days","20 days")) into a word table, where b5 is the
table reference containing a sum field. I've had a variety of responses,
none of which is correct. Any suggestions?

macropod

Hi Linda,

When you're using text in a formula in Word, you need a completely different
syntax from what you'd use in Excel.

There are two solutions to your problem, one that allows you to use an Excel
syntax, by not having "days" in the formula itself, and the other that does:

First solution. Construct your formula as-
{=IF(B5<=19,15,20)} days

Second solution. Construct your formula as-
{IF{=B5}<= 19 "15 days" "20 days"}

In both formulae, the '{}] are the field braces created via CTRL-F9.

Cheers

Thanks for this, but I'm still having a problem. I need to nest the IF
formulae so that if b5 = less than 9 enter 10 days, if 10 to 19 enter 15
days, if 20+ enter 20 days. It's this nesting that's really messing me up.

cheers
Linda

LindaM said:
I'm trying to insert the equivalent of Excel: =IF(B5<=9,"10
days",IF(B5<=19,"15 days","20 days")) into a word table, where b5 is the
table reference containing a sum field. I've had a variety of responses,
none of which is correct. Any suggestions?

macropod

Hi Linda,

In that case, you could use:
{=IF(B5<10,10,IF(B5<20,15,20))} days
or
{IF{=B5}< 10 "10 days" {IF{=B5}< 20 "15 days" "20 days"}}

Cheers

LindaM said:
I'm trying to insert the equivalent of Excel: =IF(B5<=9,"10
days",IF(B5<=19,"15 days","20 days")) into a word table, where b5 is the
table reference containing a sum field. I've had a variety of responses,
none of which is correct. Any suggestions?

Hey it works! Thanks for your time and expertise.

macropod said:
Hi Linda,

When you're using text in a formula in Word, you need a completely different
syntax from what you'd use in Excel.

There are two solutions to your problem, one that allows you to use an Excel
syntax, by not having "days" in the formula itself, and the other that does:

First solution. Construct your formula as-
{=IF(B5<=19,15,20)} days

Second solution. Construct your formula as-
{IF{=B5}<= 19 "15 days" "20 days"}

In both formulae, the '{}] are the field braces created via CTRL-F9.

Cheers

I'm trying to insert the equivalent of Excel: =IF(B5<=9,"10
days",IF(B5<=19,"15 days","20 days")) into a word table, where b5 is the
table reference containing a sum field. I've had a variety of responses,
none of which is correct. Any suggestions?

Joined
Jul 8, 2015
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi Macropod,

I've read your solution and i tried to write my formula as you suggest, but i think the situation is different.
I have a table in which instead of "0" i got "-" (dashes).

I would like to make a Delta column and i have to deduct two cells. One of this contains "-" the dash and the other one a value.

I wrote the formula as:

{IF{=B5-C5}= 0 "-" {=B5-C5}}

but i receive a Syntax Error from Word...
Could you help me on this?

best regards,
Riccardo Nicolai

Hi Linda,

In that case, you could use:
{=IF(B5<10,10,IF(B5<20,15,20))} days
or
{IF{=B5}< 10 "10 days" {IF{=B5}< 20 "15 days" "20 days"}}

Cheers

"LindaM" <(e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
news:(e-mail address removed)...
> Thanks for this, but I'm still having a problem. I need to nest the IF
> formulae so that if b5 = less than 9 enter 10 days, if 10 to 19 enter 15
> days, if 20+ enter 20 days. It's this nesting that's really messing me up.
>
> cheers
> Linda
>
> "macropod" wrote:
>
> > Hi Linda,

> > When you're using text in a formula in Word, you need a completely
different
> > syntax from what you'd use in Excel.
> >
> > There are two solutions to your problem, one that allows you to use an
Excel
> > syntax, by not having "days" in the formula itself, and the other that
does:

> > First solution. Construct your formula as-
> > {=IF(B5<=19,15,20)} days
> >
> > Second solution. Construct your formula as-
> > {IF{=B5}<= 19 "15 days" "20 days"}
> >
> > In both formulae, the '{}] are the field braces created via CTRL-F9.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > "LindaM" <(e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(e-mail address removed)...
> > > I'm trying to insert the equivalent of Excel: =IF(B5<=9,"10
> > > days",IF(B5<=19,"15 days","20 days")) into a word table, where b5 is
the
> > > table reference containing a sum field. I've had a variety of
> > > none of which is correct. Any suggestions?
> > > --
> > > Linda M
> >

> > ---

Last edited by a moderator: