IE process persistence

I am using IE 6 on a Windows 2000 machine. When I exit IE, the IEXPLORE
process keeps running, preventing me from performing any other task.
Typically, I have to use Task Manager to kill the process.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this problem.

Thanks!

Don Varnau

Hi,
This is probably being caused by another program- possibly malware- possibly
legitimate.

From Control Panel> Internet Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party
browser extensions." If that helps, you'll have to find the troublesome
program or BHO. I've heard of a case where Norton AV caused this.
Reinstalling NAV was the cure.

This (lengthy) troubleshooting process may help:
276393 - Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in
Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276393

Or. a repair or reinstall of IE may help.

Or, malware is a possibility. No one program can remove all malware. Start
by downloading and running Ad-aware and Spybot. Check for updates before
running either program.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

If unsuccessful with those programs, you may have to post a HijackThis log
for analysis. Start at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=4075 Then go to
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm Work through the preliminary cleaning
steps then post a HijackThis log to the forum at

Be patient. It's a busy forum.

HijackThis logs are also analyzed at these (and other) forums. Look for the
proper forum and an "Important- Read This First" message so that you follow
proper procedure.
http://castlecops.com/forums.html
http://tomcoyote.com/forums/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/
http://forum.iamnotageek.com/index.php
http://www.spywarewarrior.com/index.php
http://forums.maddoktor2.com/index.php

Hope this helps,
Don
[MVP- IE/OE]

"Bob Bernstein" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

D@annyBoy

any addins with IE?

While sipping a glass of wine, I read that Bob Bernstein wrote in

siljaline

Bob Bernstein said:
I am using IE 6 on a Windows 2000 machine. When I exit IE, the IEXPLORE
process keeps running, preventing me from performing any other task.
Typically, I have to use Task Manager to kill the process.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to correct this problem.

Follow previous recommendations,
If *no joy*, run HijackThis; http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip
HijackThis - Tutorial & FAQ;
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtutorial=42

Register here: http://aumha.net/profile.php?mode=register
Once you have received your registration confirmation, post your HJT
log here: *(for expert analysis)*
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

You may post your log URL back _here_ to this thread for MVP follow-up.

Silj

--
siljaline

MS - MVP Windows (IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP
Security Tools Updates
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=31

(Reply to group, as return address
is invalid - that we may all benefit)