Windows XP IE 8 Crashes on Startup + SP 3 error

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently had to run a 'Repair' Installation of Windows Professional because I had a Virus and my AVG scanner caught it and I think it must have deleted an important file because after removing it my computer shut down and I could no longer log on to windows, had blue screen fatal system error.

Anyway after the Repair installation I can no longer open up IE 8. When I try to do so it has the following error:
_

Internet Explorer encountered a problem and needs to close

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16876 ModName: urlmon.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2900.2823 Offset: 0003d7db

The 'c1d_appcompat.txt' file was included in the report.
_

I need IE 8 because after the Repair installation I think I desperately need to run windows update, which cannot run without IE.

Also another problem, when trying to install SP 3 it stops half way through with an error and has to revert back, any ideas?

Thank you very much to anyone who can help me.

Chris

Reaction score
I tried updating ad aware and it worked but half way through it 'encountered an error and needs to close'

now whenever i try to open ad aware it encounters this error. I also tried downloading IE 7, after restarting my computer I can open IE without the immediate crash... but it starts downloading something about HP web printing... and it cant complete the process so I end up having to exit it via device manager...

Also my windows firewall keeps turning off after a restart.

I have a feeling my computer is seriously messed up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for responding,

I ran trend micro and it found some trojans and malware, removing now.

Also I have discovered a few new things that are not working,

When i try to run disk defragment it gives the following error:
'mmc cannot open the file c windows system32 dfrg.msc'

When I try to run Windows media player it gives the following error:

'Microsoft Windows Media Player Setup Utility has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
AppName: wmplayer.exe AppVer: 11.0.5721.5145 ModName: indiv01.key
ModVer: 11.0.6000.7000 Offset: 000b6524

included in reports:
87cc_appcompat.txt
7409_appcompat.txt'

EDIT: It seems that WMP works now after removing the Malware with trend micro, but the defrag still has the above problem. Along with Internet Explorer still trying to install HP web printing everytime i try and open it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Viceroy said:
Thank you for responding,

I ran trend micro and it found some trojans and malware, removing now.

'

Well fingers crossed that once trend has done its thing you are back to normal. As an extra though once trend has run I would personaly run an HJT http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ And post the results either back at Trend or at Bleepingcomputers.com for a more in depth search..

Reaction score
Thank you I will do as you say, as I said in an edit above, WMP seems to work now but Defrag and IE still have the same problems :(

Reaction score
Viceroy said:
Thank you I will do as you say, as I said in an edit above, WMP seems to work now but Defrag and IE still have the same problems :(

All these errors could be related to whatever Trend Micro found. Good suggestion aswell is once ani sort of AV or online scanner has done its job and removed any nasties it to do a repair install..Viruses etc are st out to damage your computer. Registry etc..AV's and online scanners will remove the nasties but will not repair the damage that the nasties have done..

Reaction score
Currently I am using Free AVG as my computer protection, obviously it has caused more harm than good.

Can you suggest the best computer security program?

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well for free ones I would go for Avast or Avira and for bought and pyed for AV I would go for Kaspersky or ESET. Don't bother with Macrapee or Norton, they are rubbish in my opinion.

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Madx,

Fixed IE problem by installing latest HP updates via their website and rebooting, fixed defram problem by downloading latest MMC.

Butive noticed something not important but rerally annoying, the cursor blinker keeps apparing wherever I click... even outside of chat boxes... do you know how i can stop this its driving me mad?

Last edited:

Ask a Question