IE 6 Web Page Printing Problems

P

Pete B

I am having a problem printing web pages from the IE 6 browser window in WinXP Pro SP 2. There are two aspects of the problem:

1 - I have set the page L/R margins to the minimum (0.25, they will not go to 0), but the browser still does not print the whole page width on a page with frames. For example, it may cut off a part of the header frame at the right side. I found the MSKB article 260642, which basically says to reduce the margins, or use Landscape mode as a workaround. Well, nope, does not work completely.

2 - The second suggested method is to use the Print/Options/Print All Frames Individually option, but unfortunately this option seems to be permanently disabled. It definitely does not appear enabled on any page I have visited.

This does not appear to be a printer problem, I have two printers and Adobe PDF, all are the same. Anybody have any suggestions? It prints almost all of the page, but definitely omits the extreme right side print area of a web page. I can live with it if I have to, but it should work correctly

P

Pete B

That Fixed Width Util sounds like just the tool I need, Alan. Only one little problem: the link you provide describes the util, for sure, but clicking on the software title to download it just redirects you to a page that annonces your relocation of your weblog. Is there something I am missing here?

:=)

P

Pete B

All the other download links appear to work fine, it is just that one tool. Neither the title URL nor the link in the file description work, they just send me to the redirected page.

A

Alan Edwards

Yes, you are missing something. You have it installed if you allowed
it.
Use the Fit-Width Print button (which you have to add in
View-Toolbars-Customize)
For a print preview hold the CTRL key while clicking Fit-Width Print.

....Alan

P

Pete B

Aha! Success! And it works perfectly. Just out of curiousity, was it
there all along, or did it somehow install itself when I visted the website?
Is it part of IE 6 and I just never knew it was there?

Anyway, thanks, that fixes the problem.

A

Alan Edwards

No, it wasn't there all along.
No, it isn't part of IE6.
It installed itself when you went to the site.

....Alan

J

Jon Kennedy

If the control installed itself just by going to the web site, then the OP
has a problem with his security settings and could be open to all sorts of
malware, wouldn't you say? He should get a security warning at least....

A

Alan Edwards

Hi Jon

I thought when I went there myself to install it, I had some sort of
warning. I should remove it and go there again to refresh my memory as
to exactly what happens.

....Alan

Ask a Question