I remember one day ...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I remember one day ...

... as a boy, we got out of a cold 50's rail carriage at a cold station in the little town of Lucas ... it had been snowing all afternoon.

I remember ... the bright green gleaming engine that had just puffed its way up from London ... it was The Flying Scotsman.

I remember ... we had to plough our way across a field of knee deep snow to our new house, mother was grumbling something to dad and we all carrying a suitcase or two. We were cold, miserable and very tiered.

I remember ... Farther opened the door and in we all trudged surprised at how warm it felt. The neighbours had let themselves in and set a lovely coal fire going and left the best dumpling stew on the stove that I have ever tasted.

I remember that day well. :D

I remember one day ...

... as a boy, watching a 'Lighting Jet' from Tiger Squadron practising for the forthcoming air show ... boy, was he good ... barrel rolls, inverted loops, you name it ... that man could fly.

I remember ... he went very high and started 'the loop', over he went and down, and down ... he was getting very close to the ground, very close ... then he disappeared from my sight.

I remember ... I heard no sound, not a thing, it was very quiet, but saw the ugliest blackest tallest plume of smoke I had never seen the like, rising from the ground where the plain had disappeared.

I remember ... calling for my mom, and running to find her, I was upset, I have never seen anything like that before, or, since, nor do I want to.

I remember that day well. :(

Do you remember a day, in time, in your life?

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Memories

Mucks, that's really touching, thank you!!

A few memories from me....

Getting my degree when the nuns at school said I would be lucky to work in a flower shop (whatever that was supposed to mean!!).

Finding out you couldn't get pregnant from sitting on a boy's knee or a toilet seat (another nun 'myth').

Finding out I was pregnant when doctors said it was highly unlikely and first hearing my baby's heartbeat and seeing her on the scan.

Serving Elvis Costello a salad when working in a restaurant in Leeds and being scared to say too much to him!

Seeing my sister so sick with typhoid and being so scared that she would die (she didn't).

Having Nelson Mandella personally sign a copy of his autobiography and dedicate it to our youngest daughter Olivia.

Having the most wonderful whacky wedding in the world with a giant garden party, hundreds of people, children and SO much fun!!

There's many more but I'll leave it there!

Thanks for the thread Mucks !!

Love

Gabs xx

Reaction score
I remember a day as a kid in middle school getting shoved into a locker... and hearing the kids laugh
I remember a day on the bus when some kids decided to take my back pack and dump out all the content

I remember a day when I made everyones jaw drop... Even my coach... I remember this day because coach said I couldn't try.. that it would be pointless... and I remember proving him wrong... I never called that man coach again!

I remember the day my Father ACTUALLY SHOWED up for my wrestling tournament... I was warming up before the championship match... they guy must have walked in a full 10 min before my turn...and I had been there for almost 14 hours that day competeing... I remember how much anger and happiness filled me... I can remember the whistle being blown and the look of sheer terror in the eye of my opponent... he had not realised that this was one of my life long missions... did not realise that I had put in too many 'extra' hours to be defeated so easily. I remember that I had defeated him in 27 seconds... And I remember my Father left... and said that my sport was no sport at all... "nothing should be won so easily."

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I remember ... he went very high and started 'the loop', over he went and down, and down ... he was getting very close to the ground, very close ... then he disappeared from my sight.

I remember ... I heard no sound, not a thing, it was very quiet, but saw the ugliest blackest tallest plume of smoke I had never seen the like, rising from the ground where the plain had disappeared.

I remember the noise the last ever flying example of a fairey firefly (ww2 fighter) made as it nosed dived into the ground after not having enough height to complete a loop.

Duxford 2002

I remember thinking "bloody hell", fully knowing that these guys did not have ejection seats such as in later jet aircraft.

I remember the show went on.

--

I remember the day i found sarah's homework diary on one of 100 or so computer desks at college in the library, the desk i happened to sit at.

I remember finding her email address in that diary, and first getting to know her.

--

I remember the day i had my driving test. The nerves, the fright, the words "Good drive chris, you passed."

I remember the nerves and fright turning to sheer disbelief, happiness and freedom.

--

I remember the day, sitting in a pizza place in Joplin Missouri with some american friends of mine, Preston Lacy (google him) walks in. Signs a photo for me, its on my wall, and eats his lunch on the next table from mine.

I remember how i only knew what the WTC's were only after that day in 2001, yet they are un-mistakable in any photo.

--

I Don't remember what i did at the weekend

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I remember one day ...

I remember one day ...

... as a boy, watching a 'Lighting Jet' from Tiger Squadron practising for the forthcoming air show ... boy, was he good ... barrel rolls, inverted loops, you name it ... that man could fly.

Do you remember a day, in time, in your life?

I remember, one day, we were driving down to Wanaka to watch the "Warbirds over Wanaka" Biennial flying display.

I remember going around the corner, we weren't turning. The sick feeling of knowing we were going to go off the road.

I remember, trapped in the car while John tried to flag someone down on the road in the middle of nowhere.

I remember waiting, holding myself up off the seat, by the handle above the passenger door. Alone. Waiting for the ambulance to come from Ranfurly. And I remember the pain.

I remember the sound as they cut me out of the car. And the storm that struck as the helicopter was flying us back to Dunedin.

I remember the x-rays & the CT scan & the MRI's

And I remember the Dr telling me that my Back was broken in two places.

And I remember the day I walked out of the hospital.

And I remember every day how lucky I am to be alive and how easy it is to die.

Reaction score
I remember the first time I saw a shark in it's natural habitat. Then my buddy and I tried to outflank it and get as close as possible! I don't have the skills to put into words how I felt.

I remember the first time my 10 year old daughter dived in Malta, the look of extreme pleasure on her face and her inability to stop talking about it was very moving. I have underwater photos and movies of that I will treasure for ever.

I remember actually hearing the tone of an Argentinian Exocet target and obtain our ship in the Falklands. For 10 seconds I thought that was it..

I remember being on the first ship to reach the Herald of Free Enterprise after she turtle. Not a pleasant evening :(

Lots more but shan't bore you :p

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Well I'm rather ashamed to admit that I don't really have any comparable memories to share with you all, but it's quite moving to see what some of you guys have gone thru' (and maybe for once, I'm not being sarcastic)

It is nice to hear the human side of you all, in this high tech world we live in, and with precious little time for friends and family, it is a refreshing change to hear what really makes people tick.

Nice one Mucks for starting this thread.;)

Ask a Question