I-Phone or Blackberry? Which one to choose

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Here is an excellent article that I came across comparing the I-Phone to the Blackberry. This article is not about bashing one or the other but all about logically explaining the difference between the two. It will help those who are debating which one to go for and why.

I-Phone or Blackberry? Which one to choose

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Interesting article Quad :)

I've not used a BlackBerry other than testing one out in a phone shop, but I can see why they appeal. For serious business use I can't imagine the iPhone would win, but for a casual user they are fantastic devices. The most handy thing for me is the Remote Desktop client - meaning I can RDP in to my home PC or this very server to fix things.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Interesting article Quad :)

I've not used a BlackBerry other than testing one out in a phone shop, but I can see why they appeal. For serious business use I can't imagine the iPhone would win, but for a casual user they are fantastic devices. The most handy thing for me is the Remote Desktop client - meaning I can RDP in to my home PC or this very server to fix things.

Yes I too found it interesting as it gives a very good account of what each one is good for and one can easily make up thier mind which one to go for based on their needs. Your choice is based on what you want your phone to be, so it is a wise choice indeed.
nod.gif

I have come across scores of people who have made the wrong choice. Those who should be buying an I-Phone instead of a Blackberry or vice versa. That is a clear example of buyers not doing their research before buying or in the worst case scenario not knowing what they want or need the phone to do. These are the people who anyone can identify when they see them awkwardly fumbling with their phones with a look of embarrassment on their face.

I chose the Blackberry. It does what I want it to do and a bit more ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Good to know, nice link Quad.

At this moment in time I need a mobile phone to..... make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages.

I'm tempted by the i-Phone tbh, looks and feels great - but the bottom line is - I don't need it.

And with the extra battery pack it's considerably bigger than my Samsung. My Samsung has a whole heap load of other stuff as well but I never use them.

Only advantage might be that providing I remembered to bring my headphones with me, I'd always have an 'i-Pod' with a fair amount of music on it wherever I go. This is not enough justification for the expense though as I have a 30Gb video i-Pod.

It's much the same with a laptop for me, I'd love one - but I don't need one. I really really fancy the Samsung Netbook but would it benefit me in any way (apart from the feelgood factor)? One small area, seldom used, for work, and that's it, so no, not really.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

If I were asked to sum up in one sentence what these two phones are all about, I would say something like this:

Beyond being a phone, at the core, I-Phone is more of a Multimedia tool and Blackberry is more of a communicating tool.

From your post and reading between the lines, your heart is telling you to buy the I-Phone and your mind says go for the Blackberry. A tough decision indeed.:D

Ian is very smart in making the choice since it serves his purpose very well when it comes to managing PC Review. An ideal tool for him.

If you want to know more about Blackberry (since I use one) do not hesitate to ask. I will be more than happy to give my honest and unbiased opinion.
nod.gif
If you want to know more about I-Phone I suggest the Rocket Scientist.

I am very curious to find out what our Grumpy old man uses!:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My goodness, I've managed to come across completely wrong then, is my prose that oblique?

To sum up:

Both fabulous pieces of kit.
If I were to buy, I'd buy the i-Phone, functions suit me better.
I will in fact be buying neither as I honestly have no need of them.

I hope that makes my stance on the issue clear ;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
My goodness, I've managed to come across completely wrong then, is my prose that oblique?

To sum up:

Both fabulous pieces of kit.
If I were to buy, I'd buy the i-Phone, functions suit me better.
I will in fact be buying neither as I honestly have no need of them.

I hope that makes my stance on the issue clear ;)

Flops,

I read your post twice in succession and to be honest you never said that you are buying one. I guess I jumped to that conclusion. My mistake:blush:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The iPhone should be coming down in price after Christmas, as it looks like O2, Orange and Vodaphone (IIRC) are able to sell them by then. So far it's just bee O2, so there hasn't been any real competition.

My biggest disappointment on the iPhone is the camera quality. There's no flash and it's only 2MP on my version (although it could be a little higher on the new 3GS). I used the camera on my old Sony phone all the time and it came in really handy, whereas I only use the one on the iPhone as a last resort.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I use Blackberry's camera only for one thing, making copies of documents in the field. It works great and serves my purpose very well. In the insurance business that I am in I visit my clients at their home often and if I need to make copies of their existing insurance I save a lot of time, I need not visit a nearby store, and the customer is pleased that the original document remains with them.

I email the photo at my office from the phone to be printed out, perfect copy every time.

One of my customers was very intrigued by the idea put in practice right before her eyes, she said she could not imagine a phone being used as a photocopy machine.

Make sure you know the closest focusing distance your camera phone can handle, if you maintain that distance you will have perfectly legible text on an A4 size document.

Ask a Question