I need a television for university

Reaction score
I need a television for University ...

I dont need anything to big, I'm thinking 22" will be fine.

I will be running my xbox 360 off of it, as well as watching TV (So would prefer one with freeview built in)

Ive had a look around, and I have seen a really nice one for £210, here is the link if you would like to have a look

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139180

All of the reviews (45 of them) are really positive! There is one negative I keep seeing people talking about, and that is the sound quality. Would it be easy to buy a set of 2.1 speakers and connect them to that TV? If so could you please tell me (and maybe link me;) ) what I would need

I think it would also be able to run my xbox 360 in 1080p, so it looks the business!

Thanks, and i'm looking forward to your suggestions

G~MAN

PS: I am now officially on a students budget, so nothing to deer people! :D

Reaction score
Mhmm, reading the reviews people are saying they are playing at 1080p.

Unless I linked the wrong TV!

Could you suggest me a good TV with 1080p, cheers!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah they probably getting confused, a crt monitor will display a video thats in 1080p but you won't be watching it in 1080p if that makes any sense.

Reaction score
Ermmmm kinda, would you be tempted to get that TV or would you be looking at another model?

Can you get 22 inch LCD's that support 1080p?

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah if i was after a large monitor for a cheap price then yeah i would get it, i was looking at it for my pc, but am gonna go with an 22" Asus as the contrast is better.

Yeah i think a 20" is the smallest with the resolution capable of 1080p, look for 1920 x 1080 or 1920 x 1200.

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
I need a television for University ...

I dont need anything to big, I'm thinking 22" will be fine.

I will be running my xbox 360 off of it, as well as watching TV (So would prefer one with freeview built in)

All this plus the Mac you want..Does anybody go to Uni to study anymore...When I went I hardly had time to shower let alone watch TV and play xBox..

Reaction score
In my free time, I doubt i will be studying 24/7, il need a break from time to time!

The mac is for work, bring to lectures and stuff not for liesure ;)

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah just google 1080p and look for the wiki link it will tell you the requirements needed.

Just about anything will display a 1080p file but you won't actually be watching it in 1080p, it will be downscaled.

So not really false advertising but it can be quite confusing.

Reaction score
Im going to study Construction Management at Brighton University.

Reason being, i fancy a more hands on job in the future rather than being office based all day.

Im actually in the middle of a 3 month work experience stint with a big construction firm in London, just building up my knowledge of the industry before I start my degree in October.

I can't wait, I think im gonna have a good time over in Brighton. Just got an email about my halls of residence, I got my first choice so I am pretty happy about that :D

Reaction score
Always good to have a degree which will offer you more scope in the future.
Good luck G~Man.:thumb:

Reaction score
murdoch said:
Always good to have a degree which will offer you more scope in the future.
Good luck G~Man.:thumb:

Mmmmm debatable that... degree in Psyhcology and Mechanical Engineering and I fix other peoples laptops for a living now..Some scope that is...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
G-Man, it really isn't worth worrying about 1080 res on any TV that's 32" and under as it won't be noticeable.

The TV you linked to in the first post of this thread looks fine to me and is a good price :thumb:

I started my working life as a local newspaper reporter but after four years decided it wasn't the career for me, despite all the freebies :D

I wanted to do something more hands on, more technical, so changed course.

Don't listen to what all these busybodys are saying ;) Uni should be a combination of work and pleasure, many look back on their Uni days as the best in their life.

My POV - and it's mine only - is that money will be tight so the more toys you have the more tolerable your situation will be. A TV and X-Box will save you loads of money in the long run by keeping you out of the Uni bar and all the local pubs. And Brighton has a lot of Pubs & Clubs.

Brighton is a great place, I've spent time there and seen loads of bands there as well, have been in just about every music venue in that town.

It does have a seamy underside but there again so do most cities and towns. And I don't know if you're aware but it's generally known as the Gay capital of the UK, the females of that persuasion numbering many in that locale. Which, in my experience, means it's actually quite a peaceful place.

Getting back to the TV, if you want an alternative to the LG model, consider Samsung.

Good luck with your career, imo it's a wise choice, lots of money in the construction industry.

Reaction score
Many thanks people,

"A TV and X-Box will save you loads of money in the long run by keeping you out of the Uni bar and all the local pubs. And Brighton has a lot of Pubs & Clubs."

Thats a good way of seeing it Floppy!

I am aware it is known as the gay capital of the UK, i'm not to fussed. Im sure there are many single ladies craving attention!

My term starts in a month, kinda daunting when I think about it! I'll love it though, I only know one person from my school that is going so I shall be meeting a loada new friends, maybe I can impress them with my new TV! :D

I may have some part to play in the Olympics, the company that are sponsoring me are building the Velodrome :O

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Many thanks people,

"A TV and X-Box will save you loads of money in the long run by keeping you out of the Uni bar and all the local pubs. And Brighton has a lot of Pubs & Clubs."

Thats a good way of seeing it Floppy!

I am aware it is known as the gay capital of the UK, i'm not to fussed. Im sure there are many single ladies craving attention!

My term starts in a month, kinda daunting when I think about it! I'll love it though, I only know one person from my school that is going so I shall be meeting a loada new friends, maybe I can impress them with my new TV! :D

I may have some part to play in the Olympics, the company that are sponsoring me are building the Velodrome :O

Save loads of money...? I've yet to meet any students that have ever got any, anyway...It might be the gay capital of the U.K but there are many arse friendly pubs in Brighton...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Save loads of money...? I've yet to meet any students that have ever got any, anyway...It might be the gay capital of the U.K but there are many arse friendly pubs in Brighton...

Both my daughters are at Uni at the moment, both starting their second year shortly.

They have money. Not a great deal, but they have money.

How do they get that money? They work. Quite simple really.

All this summer holidays they've been working six or seven day weeks in their current home town of Glastonbury. One as a waitress in Ye Olde Tea Shoppe and the other as a barmaid. One even runs a car, a Clio.

And they work all other Uni Holidays as well.

A person can usually do anything they put their mind to, if they really want to. But I really do think they take after their mother cos basically I'm just a lazy git :D

Hey Mr Mad, lighten up and don't be such a cynic ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hey Mr Mad, lighten up and don't be such a cynic ;)

lol Flopps, it's called taking the ****...I know not all students plead poverty and there are those that work their arses off for their money..Just seems that there are those that seem to think their grants are their only income...

Ask a Question