I have loaded an older game . . .

Gary

I have loaded an older game, Descent 3,and have ran into a couple of
problems. Have gone to all of the FAQ sites for this game, they have been of
no help. There are apparently many computers running this game on XP with no
problems.
Here is what I'm running into;
Install the game from CD, download the latest patch and install, try to play
and get the Error; Invalid CD-ROOM ( per the FAQ's this because XP sees a CD
drive as a removable drive and the game gives the error)
Went into game setup and added the command line option switch '-useexedir',
now the game gives the Error; Unable to set temporary directory
to:"\custom\cache". When I checked the properties for these folders they
were ( the box is light gray with a check in it) 'Read-only'. XP will not
let me un-select this switch and I think that is why the game is giving that
error.
Can that be changed? any suggestions?

Thanks

Jimmy S.

Hi Gary,

| now the game gives the Error; Unable to set temporary directory
| to:"\custom\cache". When I checked the properties for these folders they
| were ( the box is light gray with a check in it) 'Read-only'. XP will not
| let me un-select this switch and I think that is why the game is giving that

Can you rename that directory? If not, log on with Administrator rights,
and try installing / playing the game using that Administrator account.

If you can rename it however, do so, create a new folder with the original
name and then copy the contents of the renamed folder into it. HTH! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

|I have loaded an older game, Descent 3,and have ran into a couple of
| problems. Have gone to all of the FAQ sites for this game, they have been of
| no help. There are apparently many computers running this game on XP with no
| problems.
| Here is what I'm running into;
| Install the game from CD, download the latest patch and install, try to play
| and get the Error; Invalid CD-ROOM ( per the FAQ's this because XP sees a CD
| drive as a removable drive and the game gives the error)
| Went into game setup and added the command line option switch '-useexedir',
| now the game gives the Error; Unable to set temporary directory
| to:"\custom\cache". When I checked the properties for these folders they
| were ( the box is light gray with a check in it) 'Read-only'. XP will not
| let me un-select this switch and I think that is why the game is giving that
| error.
| Can that be changed? any suggestions?
|
| Thanks

Gary

Jimmy,
Thank you for the reply.
ALL of the folders on my computer are marked the same way. One person told
me that this is a default setting for folders in XP. Descent is such an old
game that apparently it did not know the difference, it only saw the
Read-only and gave the error.
Have down loaded a no CD patch and the game seems to be working just fine.
On a different note, I need to down load XP's patch #1. XP's help dose not
work. I went to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click and choose
install. It asked for the XP disk, then asked 'insert the CD with XP patch
ver 1'. When I upgraded mine, just did it from the MS page and didn't save a
copy of the patch.
Thanks,
Gary
Jimmy S. said:
Hi Gary,

| now the game gives the Error; Unable to set temporary directory
| to:"\custom\cache". When I checked the properties for these folders they
| were ( the box is light gray with a check in it) 'Read-only'. XP will not
| let me un-select this switch and I think that is why the game is giving that

Can you rename that directory? If not, log on with Administrator rights,
and try installing / playing the game using that Administrator account.

If you can rename it however, do so, create a new folder with the original
name and then copy the contents of the renamed folder into it. HTH! :)

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

|I have loaded an older game, Descent 3,and have ran into a couple of
| problems. Have gone to all of the FAQ sites for this game, they have been of
| no help. There are apparently many computers running this game on XP with no
| problems.
| Here is what I'm running into;
| Install the game from CD, download the latest patch and install, try to play
| and get the Error; Invalid CD-ROOM ( per the FAQ's this because XP sees a CD
| drive as a removable drive and the game gives the error)
| Went into game setup and added the command line option switch '-useexedir',
| now the game gives the Error; Unable to set temporary directory
| to:"\custom\cache". When I checked the properties for these folders they
| were ( the box is light gray with a check in it) 'Read-only'. XP will not
| let me un-select this switch and I think that is why the game is giving that
| error.
| Can that be changed? any suggestions?
|
| Thanks

Jimmy S.

Hi Gary,

Here's the link to SP1:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/sp1lang.asp

--
> [...]

| > | no help. There are apparently many computers running this game on XP
| with no
| > | problems.
| > | Here is what I'm running into;
| > | Install the game from CD, download the latest patch and install, try to
| play
| > | and get the Error; Invalid CD-ROOM ( per the FAQ's this because XP sees
| a CD
| > | drive as a removable drive and the game gives the error)
| > | Went into game setup and added the command line option switch
| '-useexedir',
| > | now the game gives the Error; Unable to set temporary directory
| > | to:"\custom\cache". When I checked the properties for these folders they
| > | were ( the box is light gray with a check in it) 'Read-only'. XP will
| not
| > | let me un-select this switch and I think that is why the game is giving
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > |
| > |