I gave them some feedback... it will probably be "lost in space"...

John Jay Smith

There are other more core problems, but at this time it would not make sense
in complaining about them,
so I sent some of the small things they can actually fix now...
While xp made things easier to understand VISTA makes everything harder...

Posted to them via this site given to me by Zack Whittaker
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/sentiments/default.mspx

1st issue: Please re-enable the folder list in windows explorer, and make
sure it stays put!

2nd: Give options to remove the lower information pane

3rd: Give an option to disable that annoying security warning dialog for
every simple action! people will hate it!

4th: Give an option to cascade the menus XP style in the start menu so you
will have 3 options, classic, XP and VISTA. Some may like the vista way, but
I truly thing its a VERY bad idea since one cannot memorize the menus that
way. You really have to study how the brain works with visual information
when you make a GUI!

5th: On the start menu you have removed the icons on the right side and
added a fading-fadeout icon on the TOP... BAD IDEA since the user action is
faster if he sees the icon along with the menu entry.

6th: On numerous actions you have made it far harder to access various spots
for configuration.. have you actually COUNTED the number of clicks one has
to go through to do a task? Isn't that something important that you should
make sure that it is as less as can be?

7th: You should be able to hide the network, sound icons THE SAME way as the
others. Why have 2 ways? There is no reason for this.

8th: The colors of the GUI are totally depressing. Have you done a
physiological study of the impact of BLACK colors on the monitors of the
masses that work or use the computer all day? I say that depression cases
will skyrocket and no one will know why! XP's Luna was happy. You must add
variations to the THEME... don't take this lightly, as an artist (also) I
know how colors impact peoples moods.

9th: Vista is plainly too slow and too bloated. You have to improve speed
and performance GREATLY.

10th: Show the ICON as faded when you drag and drop.. you removed this..
WHY? its a bad idea!

11th: The black taskbar looks terrible when it is placed on the side, the
lighting and shading is bad and incorrect.

I have more but I will wait to see the next CTP then complain some more..

Puppy Breath

Keep at it. After you get the hang of it you'll realize you can get around
much more quickly in Vista. I groan when I have to go back to XP now because
it's harder to get around.

As to slow and bloated - what beta isn't?

John Jay Smith

what beta isn't?

Ubuntu 6.06 beta

Puppy Breath said:
Keep at it. After you get the hang of it you'll realize you can get around
much more quickly in Vista. I groan when I have to go back to XP now
because it's harder to get around.

As to slow and bloated - what beta isn't?

John Jay Smith

Puppy breath.. did you know that garbage men get used to the stench and
after some time
they cannot smell the stench? (this ties a bit with your nick too) ;-)

A humans brain can adapt to almost anything with time... however why make it
difficult?
It is not ME who I am consered about since I am an advanced user and I am
already used to Vista,
its the other 90% of the earths population who use windows that I am
conserned about.

I know very well how hard it is for a bigginer to learn some things... I
know how hard it is to give
support to someone via a phone line for example.

Let me give you an example: In XP you told the person "Go To start....."
Now in vista you have to tell him: "Go to the round orb, an orb is the round
shiny thingy in the left corner with the grafic that supposed to be a flag
but is no longer a flag.. it has 4 colors though inside"

Vista>>>> simply comlpex!

Slugsie

John Jay Smith said:
1st issue: Please re-enable the folder list in windows explorer, and make
sure it stays put!
It's there in 5365
3rd: Give an option to disable that annoying security warning dialog for
every simple action! people will hate it!
Run MSCONFIG, go to the TOOLS tab, select 'Diasble UAP',a dn click Launch.
Reboot. ;)
4th: Give an option to cascade the menus XP style in the start menu so you
will have 3 options, classic, XP and VISTA. Some may like the vista way,
but I truly thing its a VERY bad idea since one cannot memorize the menus
that way. You really have to study how the brain works with visual
information when you make a GUI!
Yeah, it would be nice to have that option. Remember however that you can
type the start of a program name and it will display any matches for you to
select.
6th: On numerous actions you have made it far harder to access various
spots for configuration.. have you actually COUNTED the number of clicks
one has to go through to do a task? Isn't that something important that
you should make sure that it is as less as can be?
Yup, some thins are just a bit more convoluted than XP. :(
8th: The colors of the GUI are totally depressing. Have you done a
physiological study of the impact of BLACK colors on the monitors of the
masses that work or use the computer all day? I say that depression cases
will skyrocket and no one will know why! XP's Luna was happy. You must add
variations to the THEME... don't take this lightly, as an artist (also) I
know how colors impact peoples moods.
Assuming you are running Aero Glass, you can change the tint that is applied
to Windows.
9th: Vista is plainly too slow and too bloated. You have to improve speed
and performance GREATLY.
It's still beta, so yes it's slow. 5365 is a big step forward here though.
:)

Hope this helps you a bit.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Sc=F8tt_Lovegrove_=5BScottIsAFoo

Also, the second issue (the information bar) can also be removed, but
off the top of my head, I can't remember where exactly it is. I will be
reinstalling Vista tonight anyway so will see if I can find it again,
but I know it's in one of the options when in explorer.

Scøtt
Live Messenger FAQs - http://wlm.scottisafool.co.uk/

Robert Robinson

I couldn't agree more.
The "security warnings" are extremely annoying and are probably a
complete waste of time. The main security risk has to do with
connections to the outside world, typically by Wi-Fi or Internet. The
emphasis should be on improving the Internet browser and using a good
hardware firewall.
IE 7 is certainly no improvement over IE 6. One of the first steps we
took was to install Firefox which runs fine on Vista and is far superior
to IE.
The new Windows Explorer is very poorly designed and is awkward to use.
I know that it always takes some time to get used to a new UI, but there
seem to be many very cumbersome operations.
The new ProgressBar looks like a modulated blur. It is a bad, annoying
visual display.
One has to wonder what the Microsoft engineers are thinking about when
it comes to a user interface. Vista displays remind me of the paper
clip, Bob, and other past visual interface horrors.

Robbie

Jabez Gan [MVP]

Hi John,

Please rest assured that all feedbacks submitted from the sentiments site
are read by MS. However they will not reply you due to the amount of
feedback they receive.