i cant set affinities

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
i got an amd 64 x2 3800+ processor about a month ago and i rread that i can set it so that i can set which programs run on which core of the processor by setting the affinities, i searched how to do this but it wont let me do what i have been told. What shoudl i do??

thanks in advance

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
yes but i did not seem to have any replies and i didnt think that the thread was really asking the question

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
chelseafc2005 said:
i searched how to do this but it wont let me do what i have been told. What shoudl i do??
What instructions have you got Chelsea? I've got affinity running on the spec below and its easy, but I wonder which method you are trying to use.

Let us know what you got and we can have a look.

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok what i have been told is that my bios is up to date
im new to this whole dual core thing so i am sorta clueless
but what i have been told is that what i do is open task manager right click the program and there should be a set affinity button (which ther is not when i do that)

my spec is
amd 64 x2 3800+
512 mb ram
asus a8v mb
80gb hd
40gb hd
xp pro

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
OK Chelsea

I think you are on the right track, but you need to look at the Processes tab of the Task Manager, not the Applications.

Find the process you want, then right-click, and at the bottom of the list you should see an option to Set Affinity.

Have a look and let me know.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
IIRC you only had one core showing up in task manager, if that has been fixed and both cores are showing then do what CITech said and it should work

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
it doesnt show both cores in task manager how can i fix that??is there something wrong with the chip??

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
you need to check what BIOS revision you have to see if it will support dual core CPU's, if it doesn't you need to update it to one that does and XP should do the rest

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
ok i believe that i need to update my bios but i have a slight problem, my floppy drive is not working atm and i dont know what is wrong with it and i do not have the disk that came with the mb so i dont have the utilities that came on the disk how should i update the bios??

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
what motherboard you got ?

Edit: just read the old thread and your BIOS version should be fine, is it reported corectly in the BIOS ?

Last edited:

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
give this a try, im not entirely sure how this will go so i'd back up before trying it :thumb:

open device manager > exoand 'computer' right click whats listed (should only be one thing) > update driver > no to search windows update > instal from list specific location > dont searc, i'll choose .... > then you should see 'ACPI multiprocessor PC'

select that one and install it, reeboot and you should have two cores showing in task manager

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
thanks for that. I tried it last night and wehn i rebooted the computer there was no change i also noticed that on the processor tab in the hardwre tab it says that they are using the amd k8 driver or something along the lines of that and there is one more option and that is a standard or general processor is it on the right settings??

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
ok here it is, there is a bios version that is more recent than the one i have but as i said earlier my floppy drive aint working and i dont have the original disk from the mb box how can i update the bios??

here is the screen shot

Attachments

• pic.GIF
    pic.GIF
    9.4 KB · Views: 71

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
your BIOS version is ok because its reporting the CPU model correctly, the problem lies in XP

the CPU is a K8 architecture so if its not using that driver make it, just make sure you back up :thumb:

chelseafc2005

Crunchtastic
Reaction score
im using the k8 architecture on both processors. hmm this is confusing so is xp blocking the dual core features?? or are there some settings in the bios that are preventing this?

thanks for all your help so far

Ask a Question