    other. This is getting very frustrating. The internet connection works
    great but I would really like to be able to move files and print from both
    computers.

    Chris, Feb 1, 2008

  2. Chris

    Malke Guest

    Chris wrote:
    > I have a wireless network set up and Windows Vista Home Premium on my desktop
    > and my laptop. I'm unable to get to any drives from one computer from the
    > other. This is getting very frustrating. The internet connection works
    > great but I would really like to be able to move files and print from both
    > computers.

    Since I don't know what you've tried, here are general network
    troubleshooting steps. Not everything may be applicable to your
    situation, so just take the bits that are. It may look daunting, but if
    you follow the steps at the links and suggestions below systematically
    and calmly, you will have no difficulty in setting up your sharing.

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
    files and folders:

    Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. If you aren't running a
    third-party firewall or have an antivirus with "Internet Worm
    Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a firewall, then you're
    fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually configure the LAN
    allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254.
    Obviously you would substitute your correct subnet. Do not run more than
    one firewall.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. If you
    wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
    user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
    this link work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    Malke
    --