I can't create a new user account

Reaction score
Okay... I found this problem somewhere else in the forum. In fact, after mulitple searches around google, I've found people with this same problem. The problem is that I've found tons of people with the same issue, but NO solutions. Here's the sitch...

* Using Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2
* I've never used multiple accounts because I'm the only one who uses my laptop. I decided to create one so my non-tech wife wouldn't be afraid of using my computer without "blowing everything up"
* I'm going to Control Panel/User Accounts to create a new account
* The new account is created (I can change the picture or password)
* I log out of my administrator account to log into the new 'limited access' account and recieve this error:

Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator.

DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.

* I turned on the 'Guest Account' and got the same error when I tried to get in there.
* I've noticed that there is no mention of my new account in the directory tree. In fact, here are the folders listed in C:\Documents and Settings (with hidden folders viewable): Administrator, All Users.WINDOWS, Joe (the admin account that I use all the time), Local Service (hidden), Network Service (hidden). No mention of my new user.
* I tried looking in the Microsoft Knowledge Database, and I found a similar (but not exact) issue. I tried their suggestion of using UPHClean, but it didn't work.

I've spent hours trying to get this to work. I don't know what to do. Help!

Joe

Ask a Question