I cannot save items in my Outlook Calendar

Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

what happens when you try? and what version of outlook is this?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

My calendar will not allow me to add any items to it. This recently
started.

Michele

I get a message that says "can't save item". I am using Outlook 2003. Do I
need to upgrade ? Do you think that will solve the problem ? Thank you

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

No, upgrading won't help. The following might fix it. Try them in the
order listed.

Help, Detect and Repair.

Deleting the forms cache
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/formscache.htm

Resetting the view
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/resetview.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Milly Staples said:
what happens when you try? and what version of outlook is this?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

My calendar will not allow me to add any items to it. This recently
started.

Kaikfryk

--I have done all the suggestions below and still cannot save items in my
calendar. any more suggestions? I get a message saying "Cannot save item."
Kai

Milly Staples said:
what happens when you try? and what version of outlook is this?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

My calendar will not allow me to add any items to it. This recently
started.

Diane Poremsky [MVP]

How many items are in the calendar? Are you using a pst created in an older
version of Outlook?

--

Diane Poremsky said:
No, upgrading won't help. The following might fix it. Try them in the
order listed.

Help, Detect and Repair.

Deleting the forms cache
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/formscache.htm

Resetting the view
http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/resetview.htm

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

(e-mail address removed)

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx or point
your

:

what happens when you try? and what version of outlook is this?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

My calendar will not allow me to add any items to it. This recently
started.

Kaikfryk

Sorry, how can I know how many items are in the calendar? I got a new
computer in June, 2008 and installed outlook 2003 then so there cant be that
many. Also, what is pst?
--
Kai

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

Kaikfryk wrote on Mon, 29 December 2008 21:30
Sorry, how can I know how many items are in the calendar? I got a new
computer in June, 2008 and installed outlook 2003 then so there cant be that
many. Also, what is pst?
--

The pst is the file the calendar, contacts, mail etc are stored in.

If you got a new computer and created the profile in outlook and did not move the pst from another machine, you are using a Unicode pst and it can hold an unlimited number of calendar items, so the problem isn't a "full" folder. The status bar should show the # of items in the currently open folder - show it from the View menu.

Did you use cleanviews switch to reset the view or just reset the curent view?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:[email protected]

mailto:[email protected]

Kaikfryk

Diane, I just reset the current view. I have Vista and cannot find "run" to
get to Outlook.exe/cleanview.
--
Kai

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

in vista you can type run in the Start Search field to bring up the Run
command - or just type outlook.exe /cleanviews in the start search field.

Also, make sure you have a space between outlook.exe and /cleanviews.

--

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

--I get nothing when I do a search for outlook.exe /cleanviews. When
searching for "run", then typing in outlook.exe /cleanviews it takes me back
to outlook. I also cannot open an item by doubleclicking on it in the
calendar, or by going through "new."
Kai

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

Bob I

Colose Outlook.

Hold down the Window Key, and press R. then type in

outlook.exe /cleanviews

press enter
[...]

That's odd. It should come up at the top of the start menu, like this:
http://www.xsolive.com/Outlook Screen shots/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=69
Wait for outlook is display, then type the switch - it comes up here as fast
as I can type, but I do this often enough that its cached.

Before using the switch, you need to close outlook. Verify it is closed by
looking at the processes tab in Task Manager.

--

Kaikfryk said:
[...]

Thank you very much!! I did the above several times and each time it simply
opened up outlook. the last time a message came up saying outlook must close
due to an error. When I opened it again the calendar worked! Very strange
but at least it works. Thank you so much for your help.
--
Kai

Diane Poremsky said:
[...]

Joined
Sep 17, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello - I am having the same problem. But I am running windows XP and not Vista. I am doing the RUN command and typing "outlook.exe /cleanviews" and each time it just opens Outlook.

Diane Poremsky [MVP] said:
That's odd. It should come up at the top of the start menu, like this:
http://www.xsolive.com/Outlook Screen shots/Forms/DispForm.aspx?ID=69
Wait for outlook is display, then type the switch - it comes up here as fast
as I can type, but I do this often enough that its cached.

Before using the switch, you need to close outlook. Verify it is closed by
looking at the processes tab in Task Manager.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
(e-mail address removed)