I am upgrading everything & upgrading to vista!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista General Discussion' started by Guest, Mar 4, 2007.

    I am very eager, as today I took my computer in to my computer store, and
    will be upgrading my hardware, only thing I'm keeping on my machine is my 120
    mb harddrive, cd writer, and dvd writer. Everything else I am upgrading,
    including my windows, and moving to windows vista home premium.

    New system will be AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
    with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same harddrive
    120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
    and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium, from
    Windows XP Home Edition.

    The hardware is being ordered and my computer guy will get it in Tuesday, so
    my tower goes over then for the replacement, and he also order my windows
    vista, thru his online order and unfortunately it will take about two weeks
    for it to come in. When it does, he will call me I will pick it up and start
    installing it on my machine.

    I said before I may wait til a service pack come out, but I decided to get
    it now. When the service packs come out, just update as before while using
    xp, right! I like Vista, and I'm moving on to it.

    Besides that, all the best technical people are here now and left xp
    newsgroups, LOL! When one needs some help you want quality and helpful,
    friendly answers.

    Take care, can't wait to join you all,
    --
    Robyn

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

    DP Guest

    > New system will be AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
    > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
    > harddrive
    > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
    > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
    > from
    > Windows XP Home Edition.

    Congratulations, Robyn.
    I find Vista to be a great OS.
    I understand that others are having problems (as did users of W95, W98, WXP,
    WXPx64), but for me it's been almost flawless, once I had all the drivers
    taken care of.
    One word of advice: I'd try to kick the RAM up to 2 gigs while you're
    shelling out money to upgrade.

    I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ with ASUS A8N-E
    motherboard and 2 gb ram. As I said, it's been just about flawless.

    DP, Mar 4, 2007

    philo Guest

    "DP" <> wrote in message

    > > New system will be AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
    > > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
    > > harddrive
    > > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months

    ago),
    > > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
    > > from
    > > Windows XP Home Edition.

    > Congratulations, Robyn.
    > I find Vista to be a great OS.
    > I understand that others are having problems (as did users of W95, W98,

    WXP,
    > WXPx64), but for me it's been almost flawless, once I had all the drivers
    > taken care of.
    > One word of advice: I'd try to kick the RAM up to 2 gigs while you're
    > shelling out money to upgrade.
    >
    > I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on Athlon 64 dual core 3800+ with ASUS A8N-E
    > motherboard and 2 gb ram. As I said, it's been just about flawless.

    The dual core CPU is a great idea for sure...
    and though I'm sure Vista will run Ok with 1 gig of RAM...
    I agree...go ahead and get 2 gigs right from the start.

    philo, Mar 4, 2007

    Ok, thanks for the advice. Currently I'm just using 512 mbs, so this is
    diffently going to be faster. Perhaps I will upgrade to 2 gbs! Getting a
    good deal on the upgrade of the hardware as well. Still cheaper to buy new
    hardware to update my computer than to buy a new computer tower.

    I read a lot on video cards to and decided my choice to be a ATI 256 mb
    video card pci express (ati radeon). I think this was a good choice.
    --
    Robyn

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

    BChat Guest

    I too would go with the 2 gig Ram

    BChat, Mar 4, 2007

    Art Guest

    "Robyn" <> wrote in message
    >I am very eager, as today I took my computer in to my computer store, and
    > will be upgrading my hardware, only thing I'm keeping on my machine is my
    > 120
    > mb harddrive, cd writer, and dvd writer. Everything else I am upgrading,
    > including my windows, and moving to windows vista home premium.
    >
    > New system will be AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor, 4200+ 2.4 GHZ,
    > with a 256 MB ATI Radeon Video Card, and 1 GB of Ram with my same
    > harddrive
    > 120 MB (purchase a few mths ago), DVD Writer (purchased a few months ago),
    > and CD Writer (came with machine), with upgrade to Windows Home Premium,
    > from
    > Windows XP Home Edition.
    >
    > The hardware is being ordered and my computer guy will get it in Tuesday,
    > so
    > my tower goes over then for the replacement, and he also order my windows
    > vista, thru his online order and unfortunately it will take about two
    > weeks
    > for it to come in. When it does, he will call me I will pick it up and
    > start
    > installing it on my machine.
    >
    > I said before I may wait til a service pack come out, but I decided to get
    > it now. When the service packs come out, just update as before while
    > using
    > xp, right! I like Vista, and I'm moving on to it.
    >
    > Besides that, all the best technical people are here now and left xp
    > newsgroups, LOL! When one needs some help you want quality and helpful,
    > friendly answers.
    >
    > Take care, can't wait to join you all,
    > --

    That's exciting. As others said, I'd definitely get the 2GB. Also, I would
    ask your guy about 2 weeks for Vista. OEM copies generally arrive within
    3-5 days. I've ordered 2 different licenses for builds (from Newegg) that
    have arrived from Newegg within 3 days standard UPS.

    Vistas been great for me and I hope you enjoy it as well.

    ARt

    Art, Mar 4, 2007

    Loopy Guest

    I'd make sure the video card is Direct X 10 capable. No sense buying a new
    card that doesn't support DX10.

    Loopy, Mar 4, 2007

    it is direct x 10 capable
    --
    Robyn

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

    He said up to 2 weeks but could be sooner! It will arrive at my door, not at
    his shop anyways!
    --
    Robyn

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

    Lang Murphy Guest

    You don't say whether you intend to "do" Vista x86 or x64... only
    observation I have right now is that x64 has more driver issues, i.e., less
    drivers, than x86.

    Lang

    Lang Murphy, Mar 4, 2007

    Loopy Guest

    Which card is it Robyn? I looked on the ATI site and couldn't find a DX10
    card. I'm looking for a new card also.

    Loopy, Mar 4, 2007

    S.SubZero Guest

    On Mar 3, 8:46 pm, Robyn <> wrote:
    > it is direct x 10 capable
    > --
    > Robyn

    ATI does not yet make a DX10-capable video card.

    In fact, there are only two cards that do DX10, only nVidia makes
    them, and they are large, potentially expensive cards with immature
    drivers.

    There are also no game titles coming out any time soon that will
    absolutely require DX10. Every title I've seen coming out in the next
    several months will have a DX9 fallback.

    S.SubZero, Mar 4, 2007

    Loopy Guest

    I think ATI might be confusing people by indicating the cards are Vista
    ready which implies support for DX10.

    Loopy, Mar 4, 2007

    I'm not sure yet if this means I can use x64 or not yet. If anyone knows let
    me know since I will have AMD Athlong 64 X2 Dual-Core. I'll have to ask my
    computer guy who is fixing up my computer. Kind of scary stuff if you say
    X64 has less drivers. Yah! Maybe I'll go with X86.

    In the future if I install X86, but have the power to go onto X64 can I
    reinstall later on when drivers are more updated to X64? Also I'm still not
    up to date on what the difference is X86 and X64?

    Guess I have some more reading to do!! Going on a search of the browsers!!

    Thanks for all the information!
    --
    Robyn

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

    I'm not sure of which ATI Video Card it is right now. All I know it's a PCI
    Express with 256 mbs, it's for sure a ATI Radeon, but which model # is
    unknown at this time til Tuesday. As I did see it in the box, but didn't
    mark it down.

    I'm really not worried if ATI has not got drivers out for Direct X10. As if
    I'm right isn't it only direct X9 right now?? As long as my computer works
    with windows vista home premium, and I get a good rating and see aero working
    right. I'll be happy. I play some games, but mainly games online. I am
    however a person who is deeply into digital pictures, and have plenty and
    take pictures all the time, of scenery and people.

    I also like uploading music and have a collection there as well.

    Thanks,

    --
    Robyn

    Guest, Mar 4, 2007

    Lang Murphy Guest

    x86 is 32 bit, x64 is 64 bit. Twice the bang for the buck, or so
    mathematical theory might lead one to believe. If you're not cognizant of
    the differences between the two, then it would probably be far easier for
    you to stick with x86 in terms of drivers. I haven't tried x64 myself, but I
    have read that some folks see a big, i.e., measurable to them, performance
    delta and some, surprise!, do not. Stick with x86 for now.

    Unless you have an application (program) that will benefit -greatly- from
    running on x64, I wouldn't concern myself too much about x86 vs. x64 at this
    point.

    Lang

    Lang Murphy, Mar 5, 2007