Hub to DSL modem fails

G

Recieved DSL mdem from service providor. My son ran the providors software on his Mac and conected through the modem. Iran the software on my XP and conected succesfuly through the modem. Next trip to town bought a network hub ( T base 10/100) All the Macs will conect through the hub but XP will not. I have tried every configuration XP provides with no succes except direct conection.
My conection is listed as Local area conection 3 wheter I am conected to the hub or directly to the DSL modem.
all my sons frends say that the hub sould be invisible to the modem conection and their conections work fine.

D

David Vair

You will most likely need a router with a switch built in. I am assuming you get 1 IP from the DSL,
only 1 machine can have this IP. There are many Cable/DSL residential routers which are not
expensive. You plug the DSL into the WAN port of the Router and plug the machines into LAN ports of
the Router. The router runs software which enables it to do DHCP on the internal network and allow
all machines to access the Internet. I recently got cable, am using a Motorla Wirless router that
has 4 lan ports in the back along with wireless . It was $60.00 (US) at local Walmart. Very simple
to setup.
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+
Computer Education Services Corp. (CESC)

HansMassage said:
Recieved DSL mdem from service providor. My son ran the providors software on his Mac and
conected through the modem. Iran the software on my XP and conected succesfuly through the modem.
Next trip to town bought a network hub ( T base 10/100) All the Macs will conect through the hub
but XP will not. I have tried every configuration XP provides with no succes except direct
conection.

G

I failed to make it implicitly clear that the two Macs can access the web at the same time through the switch, and the modem's DHCP server successfully assigns both the Macs, and the PC individual IPs. But the XP machine still acts as though it has no Internet connection.

The modem is called a router, and has -all- the standard router features, including based on the performance of the two Macs the ability to handle multiple connections, but only one port.

G

solution found but mystery remains
Modem has both USB and Network ports; conected XP computer to USB and Mac to Nework port.
Both work no conflict.
Network port on XP now avalable to try conecting to prtable.

Y

Yves Leclerc

You may still need a broadband router. Each PC/Mac now gets one IP each,
from the sevice provider and most service provide will only give 1-2 IPs.
Some ever charge for each IPs once the limit has been reached.

A Broadband router will only get one IP fro the ISP and will allow, usually,
up to 255 PCs/Mac to connect to the Internet at the same time. Also,
routers help with security by providing a NAT (natural address
translation??) firewall.

Ask a Question