HTTP 404

hello....
I am working on a computer with windows 98 SE on it....
everything is working great now....that I have deleted the 5 viruses that
were on the system...

However, since the deletion of the viruses,,,,i can't view anything on-line...
I can get online via my isp....'I know because I have used telnet'
so...I know I am really online...
but when I start Internet Explorer...
I get 'Page Cannot be found'
HTTP 404 error
What is this????
I noticed on my bar at the bottom...when I click refresh...it shows
res//C:\Windows\System\SHDOCLC.DLL/http_404.htm
I have gone into the registry and deleted this line....
and restarted the browser...it works on the initial start page until you
try to browser...then back to the same....

Help would be greatly appreciated...
Thanks,
John

Ivan Kobrinsky

John J:
However, since the deletion of the viruses,,,,

ERROR. You have to flatten down and rebuild system now.
Receive actual patches before going online, in future dont take IÄ
anymore. BTW: throw away OE within. Use Mozilla, Firefox or Opera.
HTTP 404 error
What is this????

mascot of M$.

Flaten Down and rebuild the system??? What do you mean....???
Can I simply Format the Drive and reinstall Win98SE???
Will this work??
I don't care about losing files...simply want to fix the online issue...
thanks

Ivan Kobrinsky

John J:
Flaten Down and rebuild the system??? What do you mean....???

'Cleaning a Compromised System'

| "The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and
| rebuild."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

Can I simply Format the Drive and reinstall Win98SE???

1. Save required data.
2. Delete your Win98SE partition (fdisc). Create a new one.
3. Take Recovery CD to rebuild system.
4. Download and install actual patches before going online.
(Patches - always be up to date!)
5. Realize more security settings than before (using an internet
browser that's more reliable than IE, push away OE. Alternatively
use mozilla (includes email-service), firefox, thunderbird mail...)
http://www.mozilla.org/
6. Take care of your online and E-Mail handling, don't infect to
clickeritis.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Yes, a format/reinstall of the OS will fix this. But, did you try the advice
posted by Jon Kennedy?

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]