HP4MV and XP

Reaction score
Hello All, I hope I am on the correct forum for my problem.

I cant seem to get my computer to talk to a HP4mv printer.
The printer works fine, self tests and indicates ready and online. It also prints a test page. The paralell cable is fine as it works with my Brother 1240 laser printer. I cant even print from a command prompt. I have loaded both the XP hp4mv post script drivers and the HP drivers with the same result,nada. I have removed and reinstalled the LPT1 Port. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks for the response
However, I realise that postscript drivers do not drive the printer.
But there are two different methods to communicate to a printer from a command prompt depending on whether it is post script or non postscript. I have no hardware conflicts indicated. Also , correct me if I am wrong, I do not believe the HP 4MV circa 1997 is plug and play and as such Windows XP may not detect it. As I indicated I have tried both the XP drivers and the updated drivers from HP. Is not a command prompt the most basic and minimal level of communication to drive a printer? In the "add printer" window I see the HP4mv ( because I installed the drivers manualy).

muckshifter

Reaction score
Well I know for a fact the HP 4MV is/should be set-up automaticly by XP. Can't remember if it uses the Canon or Xerox engin, always thought it funny they didn't use their own.

Un-install all your drivers, including deleting the printer from "add printer" ... go to Device Manager and delete/uninstal LPT1 ... reboot with the printer turned on first.

Try that for me. :thumb:

Reaction score
Followed your instructions.

The LPT1 Port Reinstalled, However no printer was detected and or no drivers were installed

Reaction score
PS
I know the cable is ok as it works with the Brother 1240. As the printer self tests and posts without any error message how can I validate that the printer centronics port is working?

muckshifter

Reaction score
IanL said:
Followed your instructions.

The LPT1 Port Reinstalled, However no printer was detected and or no drivers were installed
Hmmm, sorry you got me ... I have no other ideas. :(

You ruled out the PC by using another printer ... all I can suggest is you try the printer on another PC ... no drivers, just connect it up, If you can use another PC that is.

Best I can suggest. :thumb:

Reaction score
I disconnected the cable extension and ran the 2 meter piece to my laptop and wala you were correct , the printer was detected and works fine. I am not sure if the 20 ft extension was the problem or if it is my main computer

muckshifter

Reaction score
IanL said:
I disconnected the cable extension and ran the 2 meter piece to my laptop and wala you were correct , the printer was detected and works fine. I am not sure if the 20 ft extension was the problem or if it is my main computer
Oh great, now you tell me ... yes some 'extenions' work some don't ... that would have been the first thing to have been changed.

Nevermind, you now know. :thumb:

Reaction score
As an aside, I noticed that the HP4mv has a 10/100 NIC Port. Would there be any benefit to use it as opposed the parallel port?

muckshifter

Reaction score
IanL said:
As an aside, I noticed that the HP4mv has a 10/100 NIC Port. Would there be any benefit to use it as opposed the parallel port?
If you need the distance and connecting to a Hub/Router then yes it will work ... otherwise leave it as is.

;)

Ask a Question