HP DeskJet 656c Installation problem

G

hi! my hp deskjet 656c on usb is not recognized by xp professional. i have downloaded the latest (oct-nov 2001) device driver from the HP website. as per instruction, i disconnect first the printer from the usb port, then run the installation, until i got the instruction to make that the device is connected and turned on. i did it perfectly.

but still xp won't recognized the device. the installation software of hp can't locate my printer device though it's connected to the usb and turned on at the right timing as required. the device manager says an unknown device is connected at the usb port, sometimes it would say usb printing support with a yellow exclamation mark.

I did another approach. i remove the print device driver and software properly, and used instead the add hardware wizard. still the print device at usb port is not recognized. what i'm wondering is that there are three different usb ports presented in the hp installation software and in the add hardware wizard, they are: USBPORT, USBP, and another usb port described as a virtual port for usb

what confuses me is that using the same PC, but with either windows me or windows 2000 professional, the printer device (hp deskjet 656c) is smoothly and easily and quickly recognized at the usb port and installed without anyway problem. but with xp on the same pc, the printer device won't install at all

i hope you can help me. thanks in advance.

C

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Do a complete uninstall as per
http://www.coribright.com/Windows/Article One.htm

Download a new set of drivers from the HP website at
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwa...osoft Windows XP&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software

Install the HP software and do not connect the printer until the software
tells you to do so.

If it's still not recognized, go into the Device Manager, and uninstall your
USB Controllers.... then restart the PC. XP should redetect the USB ports
and reinstall them.

If STILL nothing, try a different cable.

Cari
www.coribright.com

Ask a Question