HP Compaq NX 7300 OR Dell Inspiron 6400

Reaction score
Hi,

I really need some sincere advise. I have shortlisted the following 2 laptops. Details are as follows:

Option 1
HP Compaq NX 7300
CPU: Core Duo 2 (T5500)
CPU Speed: 1.66 GHz.
FSB: 677 Mhz
L2 Cache: 2 MB
DDR2 RAM: 2 GB
SATA Harddisk: 80 GB
O/S: XP Pro.
Graphics: Integrated Intel GMA ( Not sure if it is 950 OR 945GM Express)
Price: USD $ 1,032/-

Option 2
Dell Inspiron 6400
CPU: Core Duo 2 (T7200)
CPU Speed: 2.0 GHz.
FSB: 677 Mhz
L2 Cache: 4 MB
DDR2 RAM: 1 GB
SATA Harddisk: 120 GB
O/S: XP Pro.
Graphics: Dedicated 128 MB Card (not sure which one)
Price: USD $ 1,210/-

Though I am tempted towards the Dell Laptop but for now Option 1 can serve my needs. There is obviously the cost aspect too (difference of USD $ 178). Is the cost difference worth it???

I do not plan to purchase another laptop for the next 2 yeas or so... Keeping all factors in mind can you please help me decide which one should I buy. I have never used a DELL machine before. Also someone told me that the Inspiron series is not good and I should only consider DELL if I go for the Latitude series.... I tell you this decision making is almost driving me crazy :( and I just want to get done with it.

I'll also appreciate if owners of the above mentioned laptops can share their views, experience, recommendations.

Many many advance thanks.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, the Dell is faster (although I would be interested to know what the graphics card is) - but if you can do everything you want on the first one then you may as well save yourself some money ;)

I suppose it really depends on what you will be using the laptop for - Is it for office work or gaming?

Either Core 2 Duo will be good enough for office work, but it might be nice to see if they offer Vista with the laptops. The $180 difference in price seems about right for the 40GB extra, faster CPU and dedicated low-end graphics card, but as I say unless you will take advantage of this by running consuming applications or downloading enough to fill the hard drive, then you may as well save the cash :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hmmm, well you may have things the wrong way around in those specs - the T7200 is 2GHz, and the T5500 is 1.66GHz - so can't really comment too much until you qualify which one has which - however the dedicated graphics card in the Dell is a definite plus-point, and there is nothing wrong with Dell Inspirons as far as I'm aware, and personally would rate them over HP.

What are you intending to use the lappy for mainly?

Edit: Ian - I think the graphics card will be the nVidia GeForce™ Go 8400M GS with 128MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Ian - I think the graphics card will be the nVidia GeForce™ Go 8400M GS with 128MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory.

Thats not too bad at all then :thumb: Much better than the onboard Intels.

Reaction score
Hi Ian and Adywebb,

Thank you for your replies. My mistake; while typing the CPU's and Adywebb's comments are correct i.e. "the T7200 is 2GHz, and the T5500 is 1.66GHz". I just noticed that I have made one more mistake. The RAM for the DELL machine is 1 GB (not 2 GB). Sorry about this.

I hardly play games will mainly be using it for running my business from home; doing some graphics work (once in a while), some software development related work, and sometimes presentations to prospective clients.

Hope the above answers the missing part.

If you had already gone through a lot of evaluation (of course keeping your budget i mind) and had ended up with these 2 as your final candidates, which one will you go for?

Thanks

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The Dell only having 1GB of RAM is a drawback, although you could upgrade to 2GB at extra cost, however I see on the US Dell site they have a free upgrade to 2GB offer on at the moment?

Personally I think its worth the extra $180 for the Dell if you can get the 2 GB free upgrade.

Have you got a link you can post for that Dell?

Reaction score
Thanks again for the reply Adywebb.

I got the quotes from a local dealer over here and am unable to make use of DELL's free upgrade offer in this part of the world...

Can you please help. I just can't decide between the two :(

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK, can you afford the extra $180?

If so go for the Dell, and you can always upgrade the RAM to 2GB in the future if you want :thumb:

Reaction score
Yes I can afford the difference. My main concern is that I probably will not be able to afford a new laptop for 2+ years and want to buy something which I don't regret later. Also becuase I am not going to be using the laptop for gaming so the dedeicated card option of DELL probably does not matter???

Ok, so given all of the facts your vote is for DELL? Right?

Reaction score
I've got a dell 6400 and had it for nearly 3 month. Its an older version to the one your looking at though.

Has a T5200 1.66ghz processor and only 80gb HD but think it has a 256mb graphics card. I'm buying a PC and would sell you the laptop at a knock down price. Dont know how i'd get you it if you live outside the UK but its something for you to ponder over.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The only thing the Dell has less than the HP is 1GB of RAM which you can upgrade yourself in the future if you want, everything else is better as far as I can see.

I would buy the Dell :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks Adywebb.

Really appreciate all the replies and help :)

Will checkout the suggested URL but I "think" (still am not 100% sure though :blush: ) I'll go for HP nx7300. Below are the reasons and would appreciate any feedback:

1. Since the FSB's are the same (667 MHz) therefore would the processor speed difference REALLY have much impact??? :confused:

2. If and when I can find a good price, I plan to replace the nx7300's harddisk with a 120GB or 160GB harddisk with one that offers 7200 RPM. In my opinion, wouldn't this will make up for the difference in CPU speeds to a significant level :rolleyes:

3. The dedicated card in DELL is of little importance since I hardly play any games and will be using Adobe Photoshop only once in a while

4. I just have this feeling that Hp's nx7300 is overall a superior and a classy machine than DELL

5. As per the reviews I've read so far, owners of HP nx7300 are VERY happy with the quality of sound. For me this point was/is important

6. I know that by going with HP, I will loose a S-Video slot, 1 USB slot (Dell has 4 whereas NX7300 has 3), and a Card reader :(

7. I have to check on this but I think that HP nx7300 has a slot for attaching it to a docking station :confused:

My God!!! This buying a selection thing has been so difficult and will probably continue to be so till I have actually bought one or the other.

Regards.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
1. Not that much, but it will be faster.

2. You can do the same with the Dell.

3. True, but its there anyway if you need it, whereas the HP isn't upgradable.

4. Hmmm, I can't comment on your feelings.

5. Can't comment, I've no idea how they compare on sound.

6. A plus for Dell again I suppose.

7. Do you need a docking station? How much are they?

You asked for advice, and its been given - what you do now is your choice :)

Reaction score
Hi Adywebb,

I am very grateful for the immediate feedback that you have provided every time. Really appreciate it. I guess I should stop it right here and just go and buy one of these otherwise the more in dive into the possibilities (regarding upgrading), the more crazier will it get :)

Thanks once again for all the feedback and suggestions.

Kind Regards.

Reaction score
Advantage of 4MB L2 Cache (over 2MB L2 Cache)?

Can someone please help me understand the advantage of a 4MB L2 Cache over a 2MB L2 Cache. Exactly what gets effected due to the extra 2MB L2 cache? Does it have anything to do with the FSB?

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Morland, I have merged your other thread containing the above post into this one as it is just another query on the same topic :)

4MB v 2MB L2 Cache

Google is your friend ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
ATI Radeon X1400(256MB) OR nVidia7300(128MB)?

Hi,

Can someone kindly advise as to which one (amongst ATI Radeon X1400 or nVidia 7300) is a better graphics card.

Though I hardly play games but and the vendor is offering me to choose between these 2 options. So I want to know which one should I go for. The difference in price is nominal and affordable.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Sorry but I don't understand your question. I guess the cards are made by the respective companies i.e. ATI and nVidia (if there are any companies by that name)??? BTW, what is a "GPU manufacturer"?

Reaction score
The cards are made by specific companys. Nvidia or Radeon supply the GPU or Graphics Processing Units. They are at present the biggest and leading manufacturers of the chipsets

Depending on who makes the cards whether it be XFX, BFG or Gigabyte can give certain advantages because certain company offer higher clock speeds and faster memory speeds. And they also allow overclocking of their cards aswell depending on the compnants used this can make all the difference,

The Vendor?

Who are you buying the computer from?

Ask a Question