HP A1060A modem not detected

Reaction score
I have a new (bought less than 4 months ago for me by my home contents insurer to replace an older computer that was killed by a power surge/lightning strike) HP Pavilion A1060A desktop that has a persistent hardware problem.

It fails to detect the modem that came built-in.

HP has replaced the modem 4 times so far , and the last time, replaced the motherboard and the modem.

True to form , the computer and modem ran OK for about a week before it did exactly the same thing as before (every other time before !) and stopped detecting the modem.
My fix (I believe the problem has to do how the computer stores hardware settings for the com ports) is to turn off the computer, pull the AC power plug from the back of the computer , or pull the plug from the powerboard, and then after a minute or so, replace the power plug and do a cold boot (Forcing the computer to reboot bios and reset all flags and switches).

I am getting mightily fed up with this , considering it is afterall a brand new computer and I have had nothing but problems with it. I've had desktops and laptops for over 10 years and consider myself an experienced and advanced computer user. I have never had so many problems as I have had with this machine. (I'll never , ever , buy another HP.)

Has anyone else encountered a similar problem with their HP desktop ?

Reaction score
well the amount of acronyms for HP should tell you something... :D

btw i have an hp from 3 years ago and it has never failed me. solid as a rock so i am guessing build quality has decilned in recent years... ?

Ask a Question