How View Folder Size in Explorer?

Nehmo Sergheyev

In WinXP Home (SP1)

In Windows Explorer, in the Details view, I see the folders and the
files okay, but the size of the folders isn't listed while the size of
the files is. When I mouseover any particular folder, I get the tooltip
yellow box that *does* show the folder size. Is there any way to get the
size of the folders listed in the same manner as the file sizes, that
is, in the same column?

John

I use ExplorerXP, a freeware utility. From their home
page:

"ExplorerXP is a very fast, small, compact and
innovative FREEWARE (for non-commercial use) file manager
for Windows 2000/XP. Unlike the regular Windows Explorer,
it displays the total size of each folder and allows you
to browse multiple folders from a tabbed interface."

Find it at explorerxp.com.

Ramesh [MVP]

Nehmo,

Get this dirsize.dll plugin from Mark Dormer, MVP:
http://markd.mvps.org/

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

In WinXP Home (SP1)

In Windows Explorer, in the Details view, I see the folders and the
files okay, but the size of the folders isn't listed while the size of
the files is. When I mouseover any particular folder, I get the tooltip
yellow box that *does* show the folder size. Is there any way to get the
size of the folders listed in the same manner as the file sizes, that
is, in the same column?

Chuck

In WinXP Home (SP1)

In Windows Explorer, in the Details view, I see the folders and the
files okay, but the size of the folders isn't listed while the size of
the files is. When I mouseover any particular folder, I get the tooltip
yellow box that *does* show the folder size. Is there any way to get the
size of the folders listed in the same manner as the file sizes, that
is, in the same column?

Nehmo,

If you only want a total of all files and folders in any folder, right click on
the folder name and choose Properties.

If you want any further information, or any easier solution, there are many
third party utilities. Two which I use:
TreeSize <http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/index.shtml>
SequioaView <http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/>

Cheers,
Chuck

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
In WinXP Home (SP1)
In Windows Explorer, in the Details view, I see the folders and the
files okay, but the size of the folders isn't listed while the size of
the files is. When I mouseover any particular folder, I get the tooltip
yellow box that *does* show the folder size. Is there any way to get the
size of the folders listed in the same manner as the file sizes, that
is, in the same column?

- Ramesh [MVP]-
Get this dirsize.dll plugin from Mark Dormer, MVP:
http://markd.mvps.org/

- Nehmo -
It didn't work.
I placed the dll in the system directory as directed and registered
the dll. I even also tried using regsvr32
c:\windows\system32\dirsize.dll with quotes like regsvr32
"c:\windows\system32\dirsize.dll". I restarted too.

So while we're on the subject, how do you unregister a dll? If
something doesn't work, I might as well get rid of it. Do I use /u ?
I'm not sure I understand what's on
http://www.ss64.com/nt/regsvr32.html . It says use /u to unregister a
server. Would a dll be called a server?

Dr. Indera

hi john,

thank you for posting a link for explorerxp.
i have had a problem right clicking on a folder and selecting properties and
nothing happened.
this tool has the exact view i was looking for.
i don't think i'll be using windows explorer much, anymore.

is there a way to have the folders sorted by size, by default?

thanks again.
--
Indera
* * * * * * * * * *

:
[...]
: >
: >--
: > *********************
: > * Nehmo Sergheyev *
: > *********************
: >
: >
: >.
: >

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Ramesh [MVP]- wrote in message
View > Choose Details. Put a checkmark on "Folder Size". It will then
show up in the Detailed view of the folder

- Nehmo -
In Win Explorer > View > Choose Details > check the box for > Folder
Size > Show button > OK.

But still nothing happens. I still don't see the folder size in the
size column.

Ramesh [MVP]

Nehmo,

It works fine for me and others. Perhaps the DLL was not registered correctly?

1. Re-register the DLL file and see if you get a confirmation prompt.
2. Apply this fix:

Increase Folder View Options Limit: (Line 2):

3. Again enable "Folder Size" column in Detail View.

--

Nehmo Sergheyev said:
View > Choose Details. Put a checkmark on "Folder Size". It will then
show up in the Detailed view of the folder

- Nehmo -
In Win Explorer > View > Choose Details > check the box for > Folder
Size > Show button > OK.

But still nothing happens. I still don't see the folder size in the
size column.

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
- Ramesh [MVP]-
- Nehmo -
It didn't work.
I placed the dll in the system directory as directed and registered
the dll. I even also tried using regsvr32
c:\windows\system32\dirsize.dll with quotes like regsvr32
"c:\windows\system32\dirsize.dll". I restarted too.

So while we're on the subject, how do you unregister a dll? If
something doesn't work, I might as well get rid of it. Do I use /u ?
I'm not sure I understand what's on
http://www.ss64.com/nt/regsvr32.html . It says use /u to unregister a
server. Would a dll be called a server?

I was wrong. The plugin on http://markd.mvps.org/ _does_ work, and
with it, you can see folder size in Explorer.

After registering the plugin, a dll, you must: in Win Explorer > View
Choose Details… > Check the box for Folder Size > Show button > OK.

Except when I first tired it, I didn't realize the folder size column
was displayed all the way on the right and was beyond my view; I would
have needed to scroll. In the Choose Details window you can "move up"
an item, or, of course, in Explorer, you can adjust the width of the
columns to see what you want.

SequioaView http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ wasn't was I was after
when I made the original post, but it's cool. Everybody, should get
it.

*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *
*********************

Mark Dormer

It works on mine.

Possibly I haven't been clear enough in the instructions on the page.

You have to turn the column on, Go to View > Choose Details. Put a checkmark
on "Folder Size".
and it will be over at the far right of the window, often of screen.

Regards
Mark Dormer

Rock

Mark said:
It works on mine.

Possibly I haven't been clear enough in the instructions on the page.

You have to turn the column on, Go to View > Choose Details. Put a checkmark
on "Folder Size".
and it will be over at the far right of the window, often of screen.

Regards
Mark Dormer

Thanks Mark, that did it.