how to use ide as primary to retrieve files off of corrupted sata drive

dewdew

I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
I can retrieve files. I set it up so the IDE will boot first and the SATA
will boot second. When I start the computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in
My Computer or in the Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired
plugging in to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad
or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
help!

Arno Wagner

Previously dewdew said:
I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and
will not boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another
computer to boot from so I can retrieve files. I set it up so the
IDE will boot first and the SATA will boot second. When I start the
computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in My Computer or in the
Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired plugging in
to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad or
is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for
your help!

Sounds as the filesystem is corrupted enough that your OS does
not recognize it anymore. Likely a case for professional
data recovery or restoration from backup.

Arno

Eric Gisin

Hard drives don't show up in My Computer.
If it is not in Device Manager or Disk Managment,
you need SATA drivers (or change them to compat mode in BIOS).

Jesco Lincke

dewdew said:
I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
I can retrieve files. I set it up so the IDE will boot first and the SATA
will boot second. When I start the computer the SATA drive doesn't show up in
My Computer or in the Hardware Devices, but it does show up in BIOS. I tired
plugging in to SATA0, SATA1 and SATA2, but it won't show up. Is the drive bad
or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
help!
If it's only about data recovery, try using a CD/DVD-bootable Linux.
Surprisingly, Linux often sees what Windows doesn't.

Jesco

dewdew via HWKB.com

It should show up as a drive (Like C: or F:) in my computer right? Where do I
install the drivers, the only place I can put them is on my IDE drive. Will
that work? What is "compat" mode in BIOS. I can't find anything like this.

Eric said:
Hard drives don't show up in My Computer.
If it is not in Device Manager or Disk Managment,
you need SATA drivers (or change them to compat mode in BIOS).
I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
help!

dewdew via HWKB.com

I don't have access to anything like this, though.

Jesco said:
dewdew said:
I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
help!

If it's only about data recovery, try using a CD/DVD-bootable Linux.
Surprisingly, Linux often sees what Windows doesn't.

Jesco

dewdew via HWKB.com

I tried to boot from my XP disc and it also says it cannot find any drives.
WTF? In the setup menu the drive shows up, but nowhere else. Is the setup
menu the same as BIOS?
I don't have access to anything like this, though.
[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

Jesco Lincke

Jesco said:
dewdew said:
I have a Dell 8400 and the SATA drive that is in it is corrupted and will not
boot. I tried installing an IDE drive out of another computer to boot from so
[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]
or is there something more I need to do for it to show up? Thanks for your
help!
If it's only about data recovery, try using a CD/DVD-bootable Linux.
Surprisingly, Linux often sees what Windows doesn't.

Jesco
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

If you can't get the CD/DVD done yourself, have a friend do it for you...

dewdew via HWKB.com

I can't get anything to recognize the bad S-ATA drive. It does try to boot
from it when it is the only thing in there (but doesn't make it all the way,)
but can't get it to show up as a second drive when I boot off of another
drive. What's the deal?

Jesco said:
dewdew said:
I don't have access to anything like this, though.
[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

If you can't get the CD/DVD done yourself, have a friend do it for you...

Folkert Rienstra

dewdew via HWKB.com wrote in news:7a0ec37e6e990@uwe
I can't get anything to recognize the bad S-ATA drive. It does try to boot
from it when it is the only thing in there (but doesn't make it all the way,)
but can't get it to show up as a second drive when I boot off of another
drive.
What's the deal?

What exactly did you not understand in the answers given to you?