    have to recreate the pivot table?

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Guest, Feb 7, 2006

    There should be no need to re-create the pivot. When you say you hid some
    rows, what exactly did you do to hide the rows?
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

    Guest, Feb 7, 2006

    I right-clicked a row in the pivot table and in the dropdown menu selected
    hide and the row disappeared.

    While I'm at it, is there a way to get the datasource of a pivot table? I
    have an excel file with some pivot tables from sql server that were created
    using Microsoft Query. Is it possible to retrieve that sql or the stored
    procedure name used? I know that the pivot table was created using either a
    plain tSql statement or a plain stored procedure (as opposed to an MDX
    query). Is there a way in VBA to retrive the sql or name of the sp?

    Guest, Feb 7, 2006

    To reverse what you have done just select the grey drop down for that
    dimension (Time, account, location,...) and scroll down. the items that you
    hid will not be chaecked. Add the check mark back and you are good to go. If
    the dimension is in the header for the pivot table to bring items back right
    click the grey drop down and select Field settings. Items highlighted are
    hidden and not included in the aggregation.

    As for your second question if you select the pivot table wizard and then
    select the back button you should be able to find the data source for your
    pivot.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

    Guest, Feb 7, 2006

    Thank you again for your reply. Your technique for finding the data source
    with the Pivot Table wizard worked out well. Easier than writing code. But
    I was not able to follow the part for unhiding hidden columns. For example:

    I have 2 data rows, 1 data column, and the data pieces. This produces a
    partial column called "Data" which is an aggregation of the row aggregations.
    If I hide this column, I can't unhide it. I think it may be because this
    column is generated dynamically? Not part of the list of fields?

    Guest, Feb 8, 2006

    If I am following you, what you have hidden are the aggregations "Subtotals"
    which are created for one of your column dimensions? If this is the case
    right click the field and select Field Setting -> Automatic (radio button
    under Subtotal)... This will put the subtotals back...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

    Guest, Feb 8, 2006