How to transfer a file of webpage to my computor.

NZed

I am having problems with moving a customers webpage which is in a file
format.
Eg Web 31 ....with the accompanying files under the folder web 31.

I have saved it in my Webs folder on my computor....under the name web
31...the clients original file name.

When I open it I cannot open the pages from the links
eg when I open the index page and press a link it wont open ...only when I
am online and trys to locate the website online.

Can someone suggest a procedure I should take in setting up the page and
also updating the pages to the website.

Updating isnt working either.

This is the first time I have done this and cannot find any information on a
procedure to follow.
Looking forward to your replies. Thanks

NZed

Stefan B Rusynko

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=264777
- the recommended way is to Publish it from the online web server to your PC

PS please don't cross post
(microsoft.public.frontpage is an obolete unsupported newsgroup)
--

| I am having problems with moving a customers webpage which is in a file
| format.
| Eg Web 31 ....with the accompanying files under the folder web 31.
|
| I have saved it in my Webs folder on my computor....under the name web
| 31...the clients original file name.
|
| When I open it I cannot open the pages from the links
| eg when I open the index page and press a link it wont open ...only when I
| am online and trys to locate the website online.
|
| Can someone suggest a procedure I should take in setting up the page and
| also updating the pages to the website.
|
| Updating isnt working either.
|
| This is the first time I have done this and cannot find any information on a
| procedure to follow.
| Looking forward to your replies. Thanks
|
| NZed
|

| ---

Andrew Murray

web page in a file format? all web pages are files.....

what exactly are you wanting to do 1) publish the web site to a remote server 2)
transfer files from remote server to local machine or 3) publish to local machine
running IIS?

Make sure the folder is a web folder i.e. Frontpage adds special files/folders to
that web folder.
Make sure you're opening a WEB, not just the web pages.

that is make sure you open the web by File menu > Open > Web.

NZed

Sorry I realise I may not have been clear enough

I received a folder web31 with my customers website in it.
I load it onto my computor under my c drive MY WEBS folder.
When I open the folder with the files of his website ...I click on a link
and it wont link.
If I am online it defaults to his obsolete website online.

I wish to load it on to my computor ..update it and then download it to
replace his existing webpage.

So far I cannot do both....get it to work using the links off my computor
and secondly download it to his host.

Using XP and FP 2002
Thanks
NZed

Have the customer upload his site to the host, then publish to your local system.

When I click on IMPORT to transfer my website to my Frontpage98 software on
my new computer, the transfer happens, but all the hyperlinks are broken and
the transfer does not appear to have saved common borders, etc.; all image
links are broken, too, but the image files did transfer to the Frontpage98
image folders. What am I doing wrong?

P.R.

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

You must Publish, not import in order to maintain common borders and the
like.
Publish your online Web to your local computer. Requires FP Extensions
on the Server.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.