How to Tell if I'm connected at USB 1.1 or 2.0 speed?

JP to the T

I've been connecting an external hard drive to the USB 1.1 ports on my
laptop, but I just bought a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card. My drive is now
connected through the card's USB ports rather than through the laptop's USB
ports. Is there a simple way of telling if I'm getting the full bandwidth
speed of 2.0 from this connection?

Thanks all,
Jean-Paul

Jim Macklin

Well, you could save a file and time the save with a
stopwatch. A file of 20 MB would take about 4 seconds [I
think} on USB 2.0 but 2-1/2 minutes on USB 1.1

| I've been connecting an external hard drive to the USB 1.1
ports on my
| laptop, but I just bought a 4-port USB 2.0 PCI card. My
drive is now
| connected through the card's USB ports rather than through
the laptop's USB
| ports. Is there a simple way of telling if I'm getting
the full bandwidth
| speed of 2.0 from this connection?
|
| Thanks all,
| Jean-Paul

Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP Windows Shell/User\)

First thing you need to check is whether or not the external hard drive is a
USB 2.0 device. If yes, I think Jim in this thread has you covered.

Lance Young

I don't know if your external hard drive has this feature, but my USB 2.0
flash drive, if it is plugged into a USB 1.1 port, will return the message
"High-Speed USB device plugged into a non-High Speed USB port".

JP to the T

I clocked three 92 MB files together, took 41 seconds, which is 6.8 MB/sec.
Sounds like 2.0 to me! I get that "High-Speed USB device plugged into a
non-High Speed USB port" also when I plug into my factory 1.1 ports, but
just wanted to confirm anyway. And yes, the drive is a 2.0 device. Thanks
dudes! JP

Jim Macklin

You're welcome.

<user@#notme.com>
2.0 speed?

| > > First thing you need to check is whether or not the
external hard drive
| is
| > > USB 2.0 device. If yes, I think Jim in this thread
has you covered.

| > > --
| > > Michael Solomon MS-MVP
| > > Windows Shell/User