How to save a graphic image to database?

Hi all,
I have a VB6 form which uses a .mdb file as its database to save some
textual data. The users want to be able to draw some graphic shapes in a
picturebox on the VB form and save the drawing with the entered textual data
in order to be reviewed from another computer at workplace.
Is it possible to save the content of a picturebox in Access in order to
keep both textual data and graphics in one database?
Thank you very much for any comments in advance.
DORI

BTIS Jeff

Dori,

Yes you can store both text and graphics in the database.
One way is to store coordinates of the graphics so that
you could later reproduce. This will take up much less
space than trying to store the graphic as an image. Then
of course you could also store the text. You might have
a separate record for each graphic and for each text object,
with some Graphic ID identifying the overall image they
all belong to.

As an alternative approach - if you are open to using
an existing commercial OCX component to simplify your
project you may want to look at our MetaDraw control.
MetaDraw is designed for image creation / drawing and
will allow you to put your users into edit modes for drawing
shapes and text and even moving / resizing shapes and text
once drawn ( even after save and reload ) .
You can also give users UnDo / ReDo ability.
MetaDraw has direct built in support for saving / reloading
the entire layout to a database field in a compact vector
format ( WMF, EMF or our own MDP format ).
Lot's more.
If this sounds interesting let me know and I'll be happy to
answer any questions you may have and to get you started
with evaluation - be sure to include a copy of this e-mail with your
reply

* * Please reply so I know you received my message

* * Please include a copy of this message with your reply

-----

Jeff Bennett
Jeff @ Bennet-Tec.Com

* Bennet-Tec Information Systems, Inc
* 50 Jericho Tpk, Jericho, NY 11753
* Phone 516 997 5596, Fax - 5597
* RELIABLE Components Make You Look Sharp!
* TList/Pro * ALLText HT/Pro * MetaDraw *
* Custom Software Development Services Too.
* WWW.Bennet-Tec.Com

=================== ===================

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
From: DORI <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:34:00 -0700
Subject: How to save a graphic image to database?

Hi all,

I have a VB6 form which uses a .mdb file as its database to save some
textual data. The users want to be able to draw some graphic shapes in
picturebox on the VB form and save the drawing with the entered
textual data
in order to be reviewed from another computer at workplace.
Is it possible to save the content of a picturebox in Access in order
keep both textual data and graphics in one database?
Thank you very much for any comments in advance.
DORI

Hi BTIS Jeff,
Thanks for the information.
I will be interersted to try out your MetaDraw to see if it does what we are
after.
Where can I download the trial version?
Thanks,
DORI

BTIS Jeff

You can download MetaDraw 3 OCX installation kit from

www.Bennet-Tec.com

=> Go to Downloads
=> Click on button for Installation kit
for MetaDraw 3 OCX / ActiveX

Quick tips to get you started

a) Initialize the drawing area size
This can be larger or smaller than the size of MetaDraw
control. Set OrigWidth, OrigHeight, PicWidth and PicHeight
properties. See sample code for various options in help
file -
Contents
Chapter 4
Initializing new picture

b) To allow end-user to draw
put buttons or menu on your form
for user to specify desired shape
and then set
MetaDraw.EditMode = ( desired mode )
1 = line
2 = rectangle
3 = Rounded corner Rect
4 = Ellipse
8 = Polyline ( see editFlags property to control
9 = Polygon how polygon/polyline is terminated )
10 = text

c) To allow user to select, drag, resize already
drawn shapes, set the EditMode property to 11
Further modification of this setting can be
controlled through EditFlags - for instance
to allow selection but not resizing

d) To allow user to UnDo / ReDo
First initialize UnDoLevels property
and then call Undo or ReDo methods

e) To save to / reload from database
call the SavePicture / LoadPicture methods
The first parameter should point at the database field
The second parameter should be PIC_PICTURE
The third parameter should be PICTYPE_INTERNAL

f) To Print - Set Current property to OBJ_CONT_MAIN
and then set ExportDC property to
-1 ( prints to default printer
-2 ( prints to user's choice of printers )

Any questions or just general feedback
- write to me or post directly to the support page
of the Bennet-Tec web site.

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted

From: DORI <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 23:34:00 -0700

Hi all,

I have a VB6 form which uses a .mdb file as its database to save some
textual data. The users want to be able to draw some graphic shapes
in a picturebox on the VB form and save the drawing with the entered
textual data in order to be reviewed from another computer at
workplace.
Is it possible to save the content of a picturebox in Access in order
to keep both textual data and graphics in one database?
Thank you very much for any comments in advance.
DORI

This message was sent to you by Bennet-Tec Support System