    COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.

    Thanks,
    OCS1007

    Guest, May 8, 2005

    Jerry Guest

    Boot into Safe Mode, open Device Manager, remove all instances of COM ports
    you find, reboot, and Windows should re-detect and list however many you
    really have.

    Jerry, May 8, 2005

    Si Ballenger Guest

    >"ocs1007" <> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know how to view and remove COM ports in Windows XP? Every
    >> time
    >> bluetooth ports are added, the COM port number keep increasing. I am up to
    >> COM21 now. My Bluetooth application cannot use COM ports beyond COM8.

    The below link might be of interest. XP has a problem with USB
    serial devices causing the incrementing numbers each time the
    device is installed. I've fixed this by going to the advanced
    section of the comport propertys for the USB device and
    reassigning the device to the desired com port number. Pick a
    comport number that you know isn't being used, such as 5, and
    then assign the bluetooth device to this com port. Windows will
    say it is already in use, but ignore this and make the
    assignment. From then on the USB device should use that
    particular comport when it is installed.

    http://www.modemsite.com/56k/xptip.asp

    Si Ballenger, May 8, 2005