How to remote access Windows XP Pro computer?

kathy

I guess this question has been asked many times. But when I search the
web, I can not find the solution for me.

I want to connect 2 computers, both are Windows XP pro.

One is the work PC on company's LAN which I set it to use the static
IP: 192.168.40.119, etc by copy the "ipconfig / all" output. Another
Windows XP pro PC at home using DSL to connect to the internet(a
firewall is sitting between the DSL and my home PC.

I have checked both PC system property=>remote=>Allow users to connect
remotely to this computer. I can use the remote desktop in this way
for 2 Windows XP pro PC at LAN (both are on the same LAN). But my home
PC can not connect to work PC and work PC can not connect home PC.

I try to use the UltraVNC. But I still can not connect to each other.
Maybe I do not setup the VNC correctly? But how to set it correctly?

Also, I want to connect to my friend's PC which is also Windows XP pro
and connect to internet via DSL. How to set it up?

Can anyone give me a detail steps? Does the LAN administrator or the
DSL service provider has to been involved to change the router
setting, etc?

I am new to remote access.

Thanks for your help.

[...]

By the way, how to check if the company's router or DSL provider
router's port 3389 / 5900 is open? I know my administrator can access
my work PC using the UltraVNC ( Our department and the headquater are
located in different location )

kathy

By the way, how to check if the company's router or DSL provider
router's port 3389 / 5900 is open? I know my administrator can access
my work PC using the UltraVNC ( Our department and the headquater are
located in different location )- Hide quoted text -

I just read from web said port forwarding is needed for both remote
desktop and UltraVNC. I am wondering is it the DSL provider's policy
to close these ports for security reason? How to test if it is OPEN?
If it is closed, what I need to do? To ask the DSL provider to open
it?

Sooner Al [MVP]

kathy said:
I just read from web said port forwarding is needed for both remote
desktop and UltraVNC. I am wondering is it the DSL provider's policy
to close these ports for security reason? How to test if it is OPEN?
If it is closed, what I need to do? To ask the DSL provider to open
it?

See this page for help...

For Remote Desktop you only need TCP Port 3389 open on any firewall or
router the work PC is behind. You don't need the web based port forwarding
at all unless you choose to go that way.

To check is TCP Port 3389 is open at work and forwarded to your work PC you
can go to the http://www.canyouseeme.org site while logged on your work PC.

Make sure you check with your work network administrators about doing all of
this. There may be company policies against connecting an untrusted system
(your home PC and/or LAN) to the trusted work network and PC.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

kathy

See this page for help...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/RemoteDesktop/RemoteDesktopSetu...

For Remote Desktop you only need TCP Port 3389 open on any firewall or
router the work PC is behind. You don't need the web based port forwarding
at all unless you choose to go that way.

To check is TCP Port 3389 is open at work and forwarded to your work PC you
can go to thehttp://www.canyouseeme.orgsite while logged on your work PC.

Make sure you check with your work network administrators about doing all of
this. There may be company policies against connecting an untrusted system
(your home PC and/or LAN) to the trusted work network and PC.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
The MS-MVP Program -http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
rights...
How to ask a questionhttp://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375- Hide quoted text -

I have tested the port and unfortunately, the port 3389 is closed due
to the company's policy. In this case, does that means I can not
access work pc from home pc? even using the UltraVNC?

How about work pc to access home pc?

How about my home PC access to access my friend PC?

kathy

I have tested the port and unfortunately, the port 3389 is closed due
to the company's policy. In this case, does that means I can not
access work pc from home pc? even using the UltraVNC?

How about work pc to access home pc?

How about my home PC access to access my friend PC?- Hide quoted text -

I do need access my work pc sometime at home. It is convenient.
Otherwise, I have to stay at company late. any other way?

Vince

Forgot about all that hassel use logmein.com. It is free and you do not have
to worry about port forwarding or anything like that.

The only drawback is you can not copy files from one machine to another on
the free version. I use this for my remote stores and it works just fine.
You can even reboot the system from the remote unit.

This just requires a small program be installed in each computer you want to
access and both can be accessed from the same account. The main account will
have one password to access it and a second password for each computer.

Signing up is easy you only need to give your email address for your account
name and nothing else. Takes about 5 minutes to set this up.

Been using this for well over a year and no issues. I have three other
people setup with this system too.

Vince

kathy

Forgot about all that hassel use logmein.com. It is free and you do not have
to worry about port forwarding or anything like that.

The only drawback is you can not copy files from one machine to another on
the free version. I use this for my remote stores and it works just fine.
You can even reboot the system from the remote unit.

This just requires a small program be installed in each computer you want to
access and both can be accessed from the same account. The main account will
have one password to access it and a second password for each computer.

Signing up is easy you only need to give your email address for your account
name and nothing else. Takes about 5 minutes to set this up.

Been using this for well over a year and no issues. I have three other
people setup with this system too.

Is this secure? I remember some poster say it might not be secure (I
forgot where I saw the post).

Anyway, Someway is better than no way if I can not find better way to
connect PC.

Vince

Yes it is secure, I have used the service for over a year and no issues. The
reason it is free is because they want you to get to like it and then
purchase some extra features such as the Pro version for I think 12.99 a
month which gives you file transfer capabilities and chat abilities and
more. I do also have a pro account so when I have to access my central main
system I can transfer files back and forth.

The reason I am sure it is secure enough is because I do not work for a
small company. The company I work for has several thousand locations even
though I am only responsible for a hand full. This program is recommended by
them.

Also Logmeinoffers many more products than the Free and Pro Versions they
have things like IT Reach and and Rescue. Rescue is cool because the support
person puts a program in their machine and the person they want to access
does not need any software installed they just have to follow a link for the
remote person to access their system. The person that uses this service pays
$99.00 a month. Nobody would pay $99.00 a month for a service that was not
secure, and you know the company wants to make money.

I understand your hesitation because of the price of free, believe me it
took me a full year before my boss could talk me into installing this thing
on all of our computers. I tried one as a test for awhile first.

Here is a quote from there FAQ Page.
"Is LogMeIn secure and what is SSL?

Yes. To prevent unauthorized access, LogMeIn requires you to enter separate
passwords to access both your LogMeIn account and your Target PC's Windows
login. LogMeIn uses 128- to 256-bit encryption to protect your passwords and
data. It also includes such active defense features as IP filtering and
lockout.

SSL, or Secure Sockets Layer, is a protocol used to encrypt data transmitted
over the Internet. The SSL protocol is used by web sites that request
confidential data such as credit card numbers or other private information.
Web sites that use the SSL protocol have URLs that begin with https: rather
than the standard http:. LogMeIn uses SSL to protect the data you transmit
when accessing your computers remotely, as indicated by the padlock icon
that appears when you visit the LogMeIn web site"

One last bit of information, one day for some reason my brain was not
operating correctly and I could not get into my log me in account. After I
think it was 3 tries with a wrong password they blocked my IP address for
several hours from accessing my account even though I had the correct
password. Just another security item. You can also look at the logs and see
when and who what IP address has been accessing your systems.

Vince

Sooner Al [MVP]

kathy said:
Is this secure? I remember some poster say it might not be secure (I
forgot where I saw the post).

Anyway, Someway is better than no way if I can not find better way to
connect PC.

If you need access to your work PC from home for work reasons then by all
means consult the work network administrators for help. If it is a
legitimate work related requirement they may either...

1. Setup Remote Desktop access to your work PC, ie. open TCP Port 3389
2. Setup a Virtual Private Network connection which you could then use to
access your PC with Remote Desktop.

I have to stress again that any solution, ie. Remote Desktop, LogMeIn, etc,
without the permission of your work network admins may put your job at
jeopardy.

Good Luck...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Vince

Edited to just the point of this post.

I agree totally with "Sooner Al" for your work computers if you do not own
the company IE it is not your personal business be sure to contact you
network admisistrators for permission to install anything not just this
program I mean anything. Not doing so could get you fired. The company may
have another system they use or may set up the current system to do what you
want or may forbid it all together.

My suggestion to use the logmein is strictly for people that have authority
at their jobs to install this type of program or for personal use on your
own machines at home of family and friends that have given you permission to
access there systems.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message

Vince

Kathy just one last thing. If you should choose to use this service and if
you happen to use Norton Internet Security please read the following link.
Norton warns you that there is a program installed in your computer that
allows remote access. Norton is the only one as far as I know that does this
for this program.

They are giving this warning in case you your self did not install the
program. This way you know someone else has been tampering with the
computer. The link tells you how to let Norton know you that you know the
program is there and want to allow it to run.

http://tinyurl.com/yr3t6c

kathy

Edited to just the point of this post.

I agree totally with "Sooner Al" for your work computers if you do not own
the company IE it is not your personal business be sure to contact you
network admisistrators for permission to install anything not just this
program I mean anything. Not doing so could get you fired. The company may
have another system they use or may set up the current system to do what you
want or may forbid it all together.

My suggestion to use the logmein is strictly for people that have authority
at their jobs to install this type of program or for personal use on your
own machines at home of family and friends that have given you permission to
access there systems.

"Sooner Al [MVP]" wrote in message

Thanks to both of you.

I will talk to my administrator about it.

Now, lets talking about my PC connect to my friend's PC - legitimate.
We agree to connect to each other.

Is there any other way existed? (except the LogMeIn which I will
definitely try it) I want to evaluate which way is better.

Sooner Al [MVP]

kathy said:
Thanks to both of you.

I will talk to my administrator about it.

Now, lets talking about my PC connect to my friend's PC - legitimate.
We agree to connect to each other.

Is there any other way existed? (except the LogMeIn which I will
definitely try it) I want to evaluate which way is better.

If your friends PC is running XP Pro/MCE or Vista Ultimate/Business then
Remote Desktop will work. Also they can connect to you. If your friend has a
Vista Ultimate/Business PC then make sure the Vista host and XP client are
configured like this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/XP/RDP6-XPClienttoVistaServerConfig.jpg
http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/ScreenShots/XP/RDP6-XPClientSettings.jpg

If your friends PC is running XP Home or Vista Home Premium/Basic then
UltraVNC is an alternative as is LogMeIn.

It really all depends on what you want to accomplish, ie. remote
access/control of their/your PC or simple but secure file access or a remote
help desk function. A VPN or Secure Shell (SSH) tunnel is appropriate for
secure file access. Remote Assistance is appropriate for the latter.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Vince

There are other ways, there is a lot of software out there that can do this,
I think you mentioned VNC and I do know of others but they do require much
more setup. Like remote desktop you will probably have to set ports in the
computers and even if not, one other programs I know about and tested you
simply email a file to your friend so you can access the system, however you
have to reconfigure that file every time your router reboots and you get a
new IP Address from your internet provider. That program is also not free
unless it is for personal use only then it states that in big word on your
screen when you are logged in.

Another program such as logmein where you do not have to do a lot is called
gotomypc but this is not free. So if your friend agrees to allow logmein I
would try it first as I have found it to be very easy to use and during my
busy season I use it at my home ofter to do everthing at work I need. Sure
saves me a lot of time because some of my offices are as far as 50 miles
from my home. I use to have to drive all the way to a store to see a problem
the user could not describe only to get there and find out I could fix the
problem in 2 minutes was not happy after driving that far for such a simple
fix. Now I do that from home and only go to the location if needed.

kathy

As I said my friend also has XP Pro at home. Both are home PC
connected to internet via DSL.
Can I use the Remote Desktop?

I checked my home PC by using http://www.canyouseeme.org, the Ip is
not my pc ip and port 3389 is closed.

In this case, can I still use the Remote Desktop?

Also, how to use the UltraVNC for 2 home pcs (my pc and my friend pc).
Can you give me the details?

I want to remote access/control of the other PC, if possible, also
secure file access.

kathy

As I said my friend also has XP Pro at home. Both are home PC
connected to internet via DSL.
Can I use the Remote Desktop?

I checked my home PC by usinghttp://www.canyouseeme.org, the Ip is
not my pc ip and port 3389 is closed.

In this case, can I still use the Remote Desktop?

Also, how to use the UltraVNC for 2 home pcs (my pc and my friend pc).
Can you give me the details?

I want to remote access/control of the other PC, if possible, also
secure file access.

by the way, I like freeware like UltraVNC / OpenVNC / logmein. I do
not have budget for this connection. Also, the port 5900 also
closed(can not see).

Vince

Ok one last thing I can tell you about that I did look at. It is basically a
VNC front end. The thing is free for personal use but is pricey if you use
it for business.

You can take a look here. http://www.remotesupportsystem.com/

The main page and pricing does not mention the free version of the program
however when you click the download menu button you will notice a link to
download a non-commercial version from download.com

Good luck what ever you do.
Vince

Sooner Al [MVP]

kathy said:
As I said my friend also has XP Pro at home. Both are home PC
connected to internet via DSL.
Can I use the Remote Desktop?

I checked my home PC by using http://www.canyouseeme.org, the Ip is
not my pc ip and port 3389 is closed.

In this case, can I still use the Remote Desktop?

Also, how to use the UltraVNC for 2 home pcs (my pc and my friend pc).
Can you give me the details?

I want to remote access/control of the other PC, if possible, also
secure file access.

For help with Remote Desktop see this page which I pointed you to earlier...

For UltraVNC help see their forums...

http://forum.ultravnc.info/

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

kathy

Ok one last thing I can tell you about that I did look at. It is basically a
VNC front end. The thing is free for personal use but is pricey if you use
it for business.

You can take a look here.http://www.remotesupportsystem.com/

The main page and pricing does not mention the free version of the program
however when you click the download menu button you will notice a link to
download a non-commercial version from download.com

Good luck what ever you do.

Thanks, Vince.