how to reformat C drive from command prompt

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 CMD Promt' started by Doctor Joe, Jun 13, 2004.

  1. Doctor Joe

    Doctor Joe Guest

    I tried to use the Windows 2000 CD to reformat my PC, but
    there was no option to re-format the drive (No
    partitions). I chose the options to do a clean install
    of the new copy of the operating system, but this did not
    reformat the drive as I intended.

    So, in Windows 2000, I went to the command prompt and
    typed: format C: "Are You Sure?" "Yes" Then I got
    the message:

    Format cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Format may run if the volume is dismounted
    first. All opned handles to this volume would then be
    invalid. Would you like to force a dismount on this
    volume?

    I answered Yes
    Then: "Cannot ... Volume is still in use"

    Question: I do I reformat my C drive, and is there an
    easier way to do this using the new Windows 2000 CD? If
    I reformat the C drive, will I need to find and install a
    driver for my hard drive, etc?

    Doctor Joe, Jun 13, 2004

  2. If you want to totally wipe your hard drive, just boot off the Windows 2000.
    When prompted to choose a partition to install to, delete the existing
    partition and create a new one in ints place. Then install to that.

    Hope this helps

    Oli

    Oli Restorick [MVP], Jun 13, 2004

  3. All operating systems, not just 2000, open and "lock" volumes
    when running. That is why you can't reformat a running instance of
    Windows.

    I reformat hard drives all the time ... off a boot floppy.
    Just create a Windows 98 (DOS7) boot floppy and
    grab a copy (legally) of gdisk.exe which runs off dos.

    Gdisk from Symantic will let you delete/create/format/label everything on
    the fly.
    Example:

    GDISK 1 /DEL /ALL /Y
    GDISK 1 /CRE /FOR /PRI /Q /Y /V:DISK_LABEL

    Then use GHOST to recreate the partition from your backup image
    (You DID create one, yes?)

    GHOST -SURE -FX -CLONE,MODE=PLOAD,SRC=F:\C_2K_1ST.GHO:1,DST=1:1

    done!

    Hope this helps

    Bill

    William Hymen, Jun 14, 2004
  4. Doctor Joe

    Joey Guest

    Use the Windows 2000 CD to boot your computer to the first Windows
    Installation screen. Choose option R to repair the computer using
    reovery console. A DOS screen will come up and ask you to log onto
    Windows. Choose your windows installtion, usually 1, you also may
    have to enter the computer's administrator password. Then hit enter.
    At the command prompt, type

    FORMAT C:
    Y - Yes

    This should work for you. Its how I always format my hard drives.
    Let me know if it works, and if it doesn't I will tell you another,
    LONGER, way.

    Joey

    Joey, Jun 14, 2004