How to recover a free space on my HDD?

Dmitry Kopnichev

Hello
Chkdsk shows that my disk contains 109978316 KB in bad sectors:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is DSK3_VOL1.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

244196000 KB total disk space.
41790852 KB in 34737 files.
11192 KB in 2684 indexes.
109978316 KB in bad sectors.
69132 KB in use by the system.
23104 KB occupied by the log file.
92346508 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
61049000 total allocation units on disk.
23086627 allocation units available on disk.
But MHDD shows that my disk does not contain bad blocks at all.
How to recover the free space?

Pegasus

You discussed all this in a previous post but quoted
completely different figures. What's going on?

If you think that your disk has bad clusters then you
should download and run the disk diagnostic tool
that the manufacturer of your disk makes freely available
on his web site. And if you have 109 GBytes of bad
clusters on a 244 GByte disk then it's probably time
to replace the disk. There is no point in trying to
recover them.

Pegasus

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Stop feeding the trolls.
====================
Point taken - call me a sucker.

The other thing you can do is, Run disk repair program, re-partition and
format you drive.
then you might get your space back
thanks

Richard Urban

Replace the drive!

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Dmitry Kopnichev

The disk is new. The manufacturer of my disk is Samsung. Samsung Hutil hangs
at its disclamer window. MHDD shows that my disk does not contain bad blocks
at all.

Dmitry Kopnichev

The disk does not need a repair. All utilities, including MHDD, show that
the disk is without bad bloks. The Windows XP SP2 need a repair!

Richard Urban

Then do as you please.

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)

Try a low level format (writing zeros) using the facility provided by the
hard drive manufacturer.. the process will wipe anything from the drive, but
is a far better test for a hard drive with problems.. if it makes it all of
the way through, way to go, but it probably won't..

XP does not tolerate hardware that is not working well.. while Windows 9x
would run on old bits assembled in loose formation, XP will kick back..

Dmitry Kopnichev

How to wipe out information about bad sectors in a MFT, for the chkdsk to
recreate it?

Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks, Mike, for your reply.
How to clear information about bad sectors in a MFT, for chkdsk recreate it
properly?

Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks Plato,
Chkdsk /r does not find bad clusters on my HDD on another computer with
Windows 2000 SP4.

coal_brona

Hi,

There may be corrupted unrecognizeable partitions that occupy your
space. I suppose using Active@ partition recovery soft. It worked for
me great and were able to bring back partitions I considered completely
dead.

http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks (e-mail address removed),
I replaced signed Microsoft driver for Promise Ultra100 TX2 to unsigned
driver from promise site and formatted the disk on another computer HP
dx6120 and chkdsk /r on my computer does not find any bad clusters anymore!