How to play computer sound on a FM computer

**Developer**

I heard that there is a device that can be added to a computer that allows
music played on the computer to be picked up on any FM radio in the house.

Is that correct?

Any recommendations as to which model (if there are more then one) is best?

Thanks for any info

Jonny

Since your typical FM radio has no transmitter, only a receiver, doesn't
sound feasible.
There are add-in cards for TV and radio reception for PCs.

**Developer**

The added device would have to be an FM transmitter - actually that part of
the device is simple to make.

Thanks

R. McCarty

Actually there is a relatively cheap solution for that. It's a small,
compact
module that has 4 selectable FM band positions. It uses a Miniplug style
adapter and uses 2-AAA batteries. I use one on my portable music player
in the car. It's range is limited, so I doubt you could transmit to a whole
house without some loss of signal. The selectable range uses adjacent
88. points on the dial, so you should be able to find one that isn't
populated
by a local FM station. I bought mine a BestBuy, and if I remember, cost
around ~$35-40. Battery life is around 5 Hours, so it's best to keep a
spare set of AAA's ready. Works pretty well. However on long trips it
tends to have signal bleed over from "STRONG" FM stations, so you
have to change channels every now and then.

Lem

**Developer** said:
I heard that there is a device that can be added to a computer that allows
music played on the computer to be picked up on any FM radio in the house.

Is that correct?

Any recommendations as to which model (if there are more then one) is best?

Thanks for any info

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-12927/Ntk/All/Ntt/fm transmitter/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

The iPod-specific devices won't work, but some of the others will. In
particular, the Belkin F8V3080-APL uses 2 AAA batteries, while most of the
others use a cigarette lighter adapter. This sounds like the one R. McCarty
mentioned.

Ken Blake, MVP

Jonny said:
Since your typical FM radio has no transmitter, only a receiver,
doesn't sound feasible.

Since what the OP asked about would be a device which transmitted to a an FM
radio, which only needs to receive the transmitted signal, it sounds
completely feasible to me.

Whether such a device exists, I don't know, but I wouldn't be surpised to
find that there are several choices of such devices.

**Developer**

One more thing please:

What would I plug it into on my computer?

The sound board?

Thanks

**Developer**

The Belkin F8V3080-APL says it is for iPod but maybe you noticed that it
uses the headphone jack so you figured I should be able to use it.

Or maybe you actually saw the one above it: irock! Wireless FM Transmitter,
which works with most portable devices.

Any way, I'm going to keep looking. Like to find one that I can keep
activated all day. Maybe using USB.

Thanks

R. McCarty

After my first post, I went and found my unit. It's a Belkin "Tune Cast
FM Transmitter". It has a Miniplug on a "Short" cable. On my portable
music player I plug it directly into the Headphone jack. For home use
I would probably get a Male to Female mini-plug extension cable and
insert that into your line out of the sound card. That way it would be
more accessible than reaching behind the PC to insert it or change the
batteries. The selectable output signals are
88.1 Mhz
88.3 Mhz
88.5 Mhz
88.7 Mhz
This device is more geared to portable devices and if your looking for a
more permanent solution you might consider the PCI cards that someone
else posted a link to earlier today.

**Developer**

From: "R. McCarty" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: How to play computer sound on a FM computer
Date: Thursday, December 22, 2005 2:32 PM

After my first post, I went and found my unit. It's a Belkin "Tune Cast
FM Transmitter". It has a Miniplug on a "Short" cable. On my portable
music player I plug it directly into the Headphone jack. For home use
I would probably get a Male to Female mini-plug extension cable and
insert that into your line out of the sound card. That way it would be
more accessible than reaching behind the PC to insert it or change the
batteries. The selectable output signals are
88.1 Mhz
88.3 Mhz
88.5 Mhz
88.7 Mhz
This device is more geared to portable devices and if your looking for a
more permanent solution you might consider the PCI cards that someone
else posted a link to earlier today.

I can't find a post that references a PCI card, But I did find that
MobleBlackBox has a USB unit.

A PCI card would be best because it sure implies that all setting would be
via software.

Thanks

**Developer**

I was hoping someone had experience they could pass on.

For example, it occurred to me that inside the computer case is electrically
noisy. Is that really a problem with FM transmission, I have no idea.

But from the few replies I've received about using USB or PCI I'd guess
that's not very popular.

Thanks