How to make Windows see all free space?

Dmitry Kopnichev

Hello
There are only 18 GB of files and folders on my Samsung SP2514N disk, but
Windows XP SP2 shows that 120 GB are occupied. How to make Windows see all
free space? Windows showed some bad clusters on the disk during its full
disk check, but a Samsung check disk utility shows the disk is healthy.
Windows began to show that 120 GB are occupied after the full disk check by
its check capability.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Dmitry Kopnichev said:
Hello
There are only 18 GB of files and folders on my Samsung SP2514N disk, but
Windows XP SP2 shows that 120 GB are occupied. How to make Windows see all
free space? Windows showed some bad clusters on the disk during its full
disk check, but a Samsung check disk utility shows the disk is healthy.
Windows began to show that 120 GB are occupied after the full disk check by
its check capability.

It's not a question of making Windows see all free disk
space but a question of making you see what's using
up your disk space. The figure of 18 GBytes of used
space is most likely incorrect. These tools might help
you see what's going on:

DriveUse:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/index.html
Bullet Proof Folder sizes: http://www.foldersizes.com/

You should also run chkdsk.exe /f in order to turn lost
clusters into files which you can then delete.

Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks Pegasus.
TreeSize shows that files and folders occupy only 18 GB also.
Is chkdsk.exe /f - a full check? I ran a disk check in the disk properties
with the both check windows checked two times. Is the disk check the same as
chkdsk.exe /f?

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Try this:
1. Start a Command Prompt
2. Type this command: chkdsk c: /f
3. Reboot the machine.
4. Let chkdsk run.
5. Run the batch file below.
6. Examine the two log files, then report the following:
a) The output from chkdsk. It looks like this:
5662408 KB total disk space.
3495896 KB in 24581 files.
7772 KB in 2333 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
149120 KB in use by the system.
22544 KB occupied by the log file.
2009620 KB available on disk.
b) The last "file(s)" line of the "visible" file listing.
c) The last "file(s)" line of the "hidden" file listing.
d) The output from diskpart.exe. It looks like so:
Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565
Copyright
(C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: PEGASUS
Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
Partition 1 is now the selected partition.
Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 Primary 5530 MB 32 KB
Partition 2 Extended 23 GB 5530 MB
Partition 3 Logical 15 MB 5530 MB
Partition 4 Logical 502 MB 5545 MB
Partition 5 Logical 10 GB 18 GB
Partition 6 Logical 15 MB 28 GB
Leaving DiskPart...

@echo off
echo %date% %time:~0,5% Chkdsk 1>c:\space.txt 2>c:\space.err
echo ChkDsk c: 1>>c:\space.txt 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo ======================== 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

echo Visible files 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
dir c:\ /s | find /i "file(s)" 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo ======================== 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

echo Hidden files 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
dir c:\ /s /ah | find /i "file(s)" 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo ======================== 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

echo Diskpart 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo > "%temp%\script.txt" select disk 0
echo >>"%temp%\script.txt" select partition 1
echo >>"%temp%\script.txt" list partition 1
echo >>"%temp%\script.txt" exit
diskpart /s "%temp%\script.txt" 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

Doc

Check out View Folder Size Pro at
http://www.moveax.com/viewfoldersizepro/
Very handy utility - it will show all your folders sorted by size
directly in Windows Explorer. The program is fast, efficient and gives
you a lot of configurable options. The program can show you your disk
space usage as a diagram, making it easy to see. It's a slick program
for monitoring specific folders or for finding out exactly which
folders are taking up the most disk space.

Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks Pegasus,
I run the chkdsk c: /f
The check did not find anything wrong.
Where "below" is "the batch file"?
How to "run the batch file below"?

Dmitry Kopnichev

I ran the chkdsk.exe /f. The chkdsk.exe /f did not turn lost clusters into
visible files.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

The batch file is between the lines with asterisks! You do this:
1. Mark the text between the asterisked lines (excluding the
asterisked lines!).
2. Click Edit/Copy
3. Click Start / Run
4. Type this: Notepad c:\test.bat {OK}
5. Click Yes
6. Click Edit/Paste
7. Click File / Exit
8. Click Save
9. Click Start / Run
10. Type c:\test.bat {OK}
11. Wait until the job has finished
12. Click Start / run
13. Click Notepad c:\space.err {OK}
14. Report the result
15. Click File / Exit
16. Click Start / run
17. Click Notepad c:\space.txt {OK}
19. Delete the repeated "file(s)" lines, other than the last such line.
18. Report the result
20. Click File / Exit

************** Start of batch file *****************
@echo off
echo %date% %time:~0,5% Chkdsk 1>c:\space.txt 2>c:\space.err
echo ChkDsk c: 1>>c:\space.txt 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo ======================== 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

echo Visible files 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
dir c:\ /s | find /i "file(s)" 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo ======================== 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

echo Hidden files 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
dir c:\ /s /ah | find /i "file(s)" 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo ======================== 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

echo Diskpart 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err
echo > "%temp%\script.txt" select disk 0
echo >>"%temp%\script.txt" select partition 1
echo >>"%temp%\script.txt" list partition 1
echo >>"%temp%\script.txt" exit
diskpart /s "%temp%\script.txt" 1>>c:\space.txt 2>>c:\space.err

************** End of batch file *****************

Dmitry Kopnichev

Thanks Pegasus,
I will do this tonight Moscow time on my home computer.
How to zero information about bad clusters in Windows, for Windows to create
this information again? The Windows could determine clusters as bad, because
strong fragmentation existed on the disk after formatting and cloning from
old boot disk to the new one in Samsung Disk Manager.
MHDD utility shows the following amount of blocks on my HDD with times:
<3ms 1 724 317
<10ms 190 673
<50ms 293
<150ms 1
This means the disk is completely healthy?

Dmitry Kopnichev

Hello
The result of Notepad c:\space.err is blank.
The result of Notepad c:\space.txt is:
03.12.2005 2:29 Chkdsk
ChkDsk c:
========================
Visible files
648 File(s) 884,729,143 bytes
========================
Diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 5.1.3565

Copyright (C) 1999-2003 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: K

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

Partition 1 is now the selected partition.

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
* Partition 1 Primary 4110 MB 32 KB

Leaving DiskPart...
How to recover the free space?

Dmitry Kopnichev

Hello
Chkdsk shows that my disk contains 109978316 KB in bad sectors:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is DSK3_VOL1.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.

244196000 KB total disk space.
41790852 KB in 34737 files.
11192 KB in 2684 indexes.
109978316 KB in bad sectors.
69132 KB in use by the system.
23104 KB occupied by the log file.
92346508 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
61049000 total allocation units on disk.
23086627 allocation units available on disk.
How to recover the free space?

Pegasus

You have an endearing habit of answering only half of
the questions that I ask in an effort to resolve your problem.
This makes it hard to assist you. And since you decided to
start a new thread on the same subject, I will no longer
monitor this one.

David Candy

You are learning about him. He is a troll. He will never answer. He will never provide proper information. He is evil. And he'll suck you in with made up problems. You don't really think he has a major issue daily, do you? He is just a troll.

Pegasus

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You are learning about him. He is a troll. He will never answer. He will
never provide proper information. He is evil. And he'll suck you in with
made up problems. You don't really think he has a major issue daily, do you?
He is just a troll.
OK, thanks for the hint. I'm a bit slow at times.

Dmitry Kopnichev

Who are you, David Candy, then after this?