    the Multilevel list selections act this way, however.

    So, how do I get Word to automatically add the appropriate numbering as I
    enter text in a traditional outline?

    Kurt, Dec 12, 2008

  2. The multi-level list you describe is (by default) linked to Word's built-in
    heading styles, and the "Style for following paragraph" of heading styles is
    always Normal.

    You can either modify the heading styles to have the same style as the
    following style, or you can modify the multi-level list to use another
    series of styles, such as the List Number series.

    If you decide to stick with the headings, note that Headings 1-4 are also
    formatted as "Keep with next," which will cause problems when a document
    contains nothing but headings.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Dec 13, 2008

  3. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    Thanks. I see how to do this now. I assume I can change the "style for
    following" for each of the Heading styles used in that outline, and at the
    same time change the font, color, line spaciing, and all of the other
    settings that need to be changed; but is there a faster way to create an
    Outline Style? Changing all of the settings on all of the levels (or even 5
    levels) seems like a lot of work.

    Kurt, Dec 16, 2008
  4. Kurt

    grammatim Guest

    Depending on what you want to do with your formatting, you could make
    Style B "based on" Style A, and then you only have to change the
    attributes in B that you want to be different.

    I've no idea, though, whether that might interfere with the outline
    numbering setup.

    grammatim, Dec 16, 2008