    Rarer3 Guest

    In EXCEL 2003 I could insert a picture and format it to make it transparent.
    This was I could see the cells behind the picture. How do I do that in 2007?

    Rarer3, Jul 11, 2008

  2. Rarer3

    pdberger Guest

    Rarer --

    Click on the picture, and the 'Picture Tools - Format' ribbon will open.
    Click Recolor, and then Set Transparent Color.

    HTH

    pdberger, Jul 11, 2008

  3. Rarer3

    John S. Guest

    You missed the point...

    The OP was talking about how much better Excel 2003 vs. 2007. In Excel 2003 you could make the entire image transparent - in Excel 2007 you can only make a single color of the image transparent - not the entire image. While the latter is a welcomed addition, losing the former is a great disappointment.

    Additionally, Excel 2007 cannot batch crop multiple inserted images to a specific size, like Excel 2003 could do. The example is I have many screen shots from a webpage, I want to crop the header from all of them but keep the rest of the image. In Excel 2003 I could multi-select all the images and then crop a specific amount of pixels from one side. Excel 2007 no longer has that functionality.

    Too bad we have to lose good tools when gaining others with Microsoft products.

    John S., Oct 20, 2010
  4. Rarer3

    Clif McIrvin Guest

    Re: You missed the point...

    Please, when posting from EggHeadCafe, take the time to keep the
    original subject line. Many of us who follow the newsgroups via USENET
    and NNTP do not keep old postings, so there is no thread for "You missed
    the point..." to relate to.

    Since EggHeadCafe apparently does not provide a default subject line,
    what I'm asking does require a bit of extra attention to detail from
    those of you who post via EggHeadCafe; but I assure you, the newsgroup
    regulars will benefit from that courtesey.

    Clif

    --
    Clif McIrvin

    Change nomail.afraid.org to gmail.com to reply by email.

    Clif McIrvin, Oct 20, 2010
  5. Rarer3

    joeu2004 Guest

    Re: You missed the point...

    On Oct 20, 6:08 am, "Clif McIrvin" <>
    wrote:
    > Please, when posting from EggHeadCafe, take the time to keep the
    > original subject line.

    [....]
    > Since EggHeadCafe apparently does not provide a default subject line,
    > what I'm asking does require a bit of extra attention to detail from
    > those of you who post via EggHeadCafe; but I assure you, the newsgroup
    > regulars will benefit from that courtesey.

    Interesting. I had no idea that that might explain some of the
    subject-line changes. Google Groups and perhaps other interfaces also
    permit users to change the subject line of their posting.

    In any case, I agree with you. Besides the problem you noted,
    changing the subject line as John did completely obscures the
    description of the original topic, at least in Google Groups when
    threads are listed by last posting.

    Moreover, John, what sense does it make to respond as you did to a
    thread that is now more than 2 years old? Rhetorical question.

    joeu2004, Oct 20, 2010
  6. Rarer3

    Clif McIrvin Guest

    Re: You missed the point...

    "joeu2004" <> wrote in message
    > On Oct 20, 6:08 am, "Clif McIrvin" <>
    > wrote:
    > > Please, when posting from EggHeadCafe, take the time to keep the
    > > original subject line.

    > [....]
    >
    > Interesting. I had no idea that that might explain some of the
    > subject-line changes. Google Groups and perhaps other interfaces also
    > permit users to change the subject line of their posting.

    As of this morning, Robbe Morris at EggHeadCafe informs me that the
    subject line is now defaulted for postings from their website, although
    the user can change it if (s)he wishes.

    For the record, Outlook Express and Thunderbird allow the user to change
    the subject line. I can't speak to other, "real" newsreaders ... I
    suspect the poster can override the default behavior there, as well.

    From Robbe Morris:
    > Our NNTP implementation is really for users who don't have access to
    > the usenet groups because their blocked by their corporate firewalls.
    >
    > People are much better off using their favorite news group reader.

    A tip of the hat to Robbe and the folks at EggHeadCafe for listening,
    and responding, to our concerns!

    Clif McIrvin, Oct 20, 2010
  7. Rarer3

    Stan Brown Guest

    Re: You missed the point...

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:40:51 -0500, Clif McIrvin wrote:
    > As of this morning, Robbe Morris at EggHeadCafe informs me that the
    > subject line is now defaulted for postings from their website, although
    > the user can change it if (s)he wishes.

    Thanks, Clif, for taking point on this. These unthreaded messages
    have been really annoying.

    I hope not only the subject line but the References: header is now
    correct.

    I was getting ready to automatically killfile anything from that
    source, as I already do with Google Groups. But now I'll wait a
    couple of days.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com
    Shikata ga nai...

    Stan Brown, Oct 21, 2010
  8. Rarer3

    Clif McIrvin Guest

    Re: You missed the point...

    "Stan Brown" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 10:40:51 -0500, Clif McIrvin wrote:
    >
    > Thanks, Clif, for taking point on this. These unthreaded messages
    > have been really annoying.

    You're welcome.

    > I hope not only the subject line but the References: header is now
    > correct.

    I've never studied the headers; I have a general knowledge of what they
    do but not RFC specifics. For me (at least, the threads I checked),
    Outlook Express has properly threaded EggHeadCafe postings even with the
    changing subject lines -- when, that is, the rest of the thread is still
    available to OE.

    > I was getting ready to automatically killfile anything from that
    > source, as I already do with Google Groups. But now I'll wait a
    > couple of days.

    I can understand that ... the signal to noise ratio can be pretty bad.

    Clif McIrvin, Oct 21, 2010
  9. Re: You missed the point...

    You may set a image transparancy , but it's a little more complicated, you need first insert a shape (Rectangular for me)

    Then select the fill type and insert your Image.

    After you may set the transparancy of your shape, including your inserted image.

    I'm also disapointed of the fact that you must use a plan B to archive your goal instead of simply modifying the image transparancy.

    Dan.

    (Sorry for my typo, I'm french!)

    Daniel Berthiaume, Mar 2, 2011