    now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)

    I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.

    Thanks

    occam, Oct 31, 2009

  2. occam

    philo Guest

    occam wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive D:)
    > to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB of RAM.
    >
    > My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    > now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >
    > I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.
    >
    > Thanks

    just delete the folder win98 is installed in

    then run msconfig

    and have it check for the boot path and let it remove the invalid entry

    philo, Oct 31, 2009

  3. occam

    Roy Smith Guest

    occam wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive D:)
    > to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB of RAM.
    >
    > My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    > now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >
    > I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.

    Ok, since you said that WinXP is on D: but you didn't go into more
    detail on how this is set up. Is this two separate drive units with a
    C: partition on one and the D partition on the other, or one drive unit
    with both the C: and D: partitions on it?

    Before we can give more specific details of what's involved, it's
    necessary that we know this. Also since this is posted in the Windows
    XP basic newsgroup, it could be above your technical abilities.

    Roy Smith, Nov 1, 2009
  4. occam

    occam Guest

    Roy Smith wrote:
    > occam wrote:

    > Ok, since you said that WinXP is on D: but you didn't go into more
    > detail on how this is set up. Is this two separate drive units with a
    > C: partition on one and the D partition on the other, or one drive unit
    > with both the C: and D: partitions on it?

    Roy

    Win XP is installed on the same drive, with two partitions C: and D:

    > Before we can give more specific details of what's involved, it's
    > necessary that we know this. Also since this is posted in the Windows
    > XP basic newsgroup, it could be above your technical abilities.

    Try me. Windows basic NG is just a statting point. Where is the best NG
    to post this to? (As this is a 'throw-away' portable I am working with,
    I am not afraid of doing anything catastrophic with it.)

    Thanks

    occam, Nov 1, 2009
  5. occam

    occam Guest

    philo wrote:
    > occam wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive
    >> D:) to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB
    >> of RAM.
    >>
    >> My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    >> now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >>
    >> I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > just delete the folder win98 is installed in
    >
    > then run msconfig
    >
    > and have it check for the boot path and let it remove the invalid entry

    Philo

    I am assuming you mean when logged into the XP partition? Deleting the
    C: drive (where Win 98 is) was not allowed. The message was something
    like 'MS system files -- deletion not allowed'. (This is effectively
    the same message I get when I try and re-format this (Fat32) partition
    as NTFS space, for use by the XP system.

    occam, Nov 1, 2009
  6. occam wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive D:)
    > to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB of RAM.
    >
    > My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    > now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >
    > I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.

    You will not be able to remove or format the C: drive, in NT terminology
    this C: drive is refered to as the System Partition. This partition is
    flagged as the 'Active Partition', it is the partition that is used to
    boot the computer and it contains files necessary to boot Windows XP.

    You can remove all of the files on the C: partition *except* the
    following which are necessary to boot Windows XP:

    Boot.ini
    NTDETECT.COM
    ntldr
    NTBOOTDD.SYS (if present, which I doubt, used for SCSI Controllers
    without a SCSI BIOS)

    John

    John John - MVP, Nov 1, 2009
  7. occam

    Jose Guest

    On Oct 31, 6:15 pm, occam <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive D:)
    > to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB of RAM.
    >
    > My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    > now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >
    > I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have a bootable XP installation CD that you used to install XP
    and do not want W98 (ever), before you get too far along, whack
    (reformat) that disk and reinstall XP onto the C drive. If you want a
    D partition for storage or programs, create one. I would do it while
    you can before you wish you had done it later - and have a big mess.

    That way, you will be more in line with most "regular" type of XP
    installations which will make discussions a lot easier later.

    You will never have to say something like:

    Well... everybody else's XP is installed on C, but my XP is installed
    on D and some of my stuff is on C and some on D and now I'm all mixed
    up. BTW, I also have Win98 installed on C, could that be my problem
    with XP?

    Jose, Nov 1, 2009
  8. occam

    occam Guest

    John John - MVP wrote:
    > occam wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive
    >> D:) to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB
    >> of RAM.
    >>
    >> My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    >> now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >>
    >> I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.

    > You will not be able to remove or format the C: drive, in NT terminology
    > this C: drive is refered to as the System Partition. This partition is
    > flagged as the 'Active Partition', it is the partition that is used to
    > boot the computer and it contains files necessary to boot Windows XP.
    >
    > You can remove all of the files on the C: partition *except* the
    > following which are necessary to boot Windows XP:
    >
    > Boot.ini
    > NTDETECT.COM
    > ntldr
    > NTBOOTDD.SYS (if present, which I doubt, used for SCSI Controllers
    > without a SCSI BIOS)
    >
    > John

    Hi John

    Thanks for that info. If I understand correctly therefore, then the
    better option is to re-install XP over Win 98 (in Drive C:) and
    re-format the Drive D (initial XP install)?
    (I believ this is what Jose, in the next message, is also telling me.)

    Thanks

    occam, Nov 1, 2009
  9. occam

    occam Guest

    Jose wrote:
    > On Oct 31, 6:15 pm, occam <> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive D:)
    >> to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB of RAM.
    >>
    >> My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    >> now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >>
    >> I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > If you have a bootable XP installation CD that you used to install XP
    > and do not want W98 (ever), before you get too far along, whack
    > (reformat) that disk and reinstall XP onto the C drive. If you want a
    > D partition for storage or programs, create one. I would do it while
    > you can before you wish you had done it later - and have a big mess.
    >
    > That way, you will be more in line with most "regular" type of XP
    > installations which will make discussions a lot easier later.

    Thanks Jose, I will try that. I am hoping that by doing so, I will not
    have any problems uninstalling (re-formatting) the first copy of Win XP
    (on D)

    occam, Nov 1, 2009
  10. occam

    philo Guest

    occam wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >> occam wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive
    >>> D:) to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB
    >>> of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    >>> now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >> just delete the folder win98 is installed in
    >>
    >> then run msconfig
    >>
    >> and have it check for the boot path and let it remove the invalid entry

    > Philo
    >
    > I am assuming you mean when logged into the XP partition? Deleting the
    > C: drive (where Win 98 is) was not allowed. The message was something
    > like 'MS system files -- deletion not allowed'. (This is effectively
    > the same message I get when I try and re-format this (Fat32) partition
    > as NTFS space, for use by the XP system.

    I did *NOT* tell you to delete the C: drive

    I told you to simply delete the folder that Win98 is installed in.

    If Win98 is on C: and XP is on D: (for example)

    you can delete all the data there except for boot.ini ntdetect.com and ntldr

    philo, Nov 1, 2009
  11. occam wrote:
    > John John - MVP wrote:
    >> occam wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive
    >>> D:) to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB
    >>> of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    >>> now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >>>
    >>> I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.

    >> You will not be able to remove or format the C: drive, in NT terminology
    >> this C: drive is refered to as the System Partition. This partition is
    >> flagged as the 'Active Partition', it is the partition that is used to
    >> boot the computer and it contains files necessary to boot Windows XP.
    >>
    >> You can remove all of the files on the C: partition *except* the
    >> following which are necessary to boot Windows XP:
    >>
    >> Boot.ini
    >> NTDETECT.COM
    >> ntldr
    >> NTBOOTDD.SYS (if present, which I doubt, used for SCSI Controllers
    >> without a SCSI BIOS)
    >>
    >> John

    > Hi John
    >
    > Thanks for that info. If I understand correctly therefore, then the
    > better option is to re-install XP over Win 98 (in Drive C:) and
    > re-format the Drive D (initial XP install)?

    No, I think that you can leave it as it is, getting rid of all the files
    except the ones noted above and use the rest of the disk as a storage
    area. Or you can simply make the D: partition active and then *copy*
    the above mentioned system files to the newly made active D: partition.

    If you decide to make D: the active partition you will have to edit the
    boot.ini file to change the partition number, the active partition is
    usually enumerated as partition 1 on the disk. As it is now C: is
    enumerated as partition 1 and D: is enumerated as partition 2, you are
    most likely booting Windows XP on partition 2. When you mark D: as the
    active partition it should be enumerated before the other partitions.

    If you want to try this *copy* above mentioned system files to the D:
    drive and then replace the boot.ini file (on both drives) with this one:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP partition(1)"
    /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP partition(2)"
    /fastdetect

    Place this boot.ini file in the root folder of each drive. Before you
    change the active flag on the partition you may want to reboot the
    computer to test the new boot.ini file.

    Use the built-in Disk Management tool (diskmgmt.msc) to "Mark" D: as
    Active and then reboot the computer. One of the options in the above
    boot.ini file should boot Windows. If Windows fails to boot then you
    will have to toggle the active partition flag and make C: the active
    partition again, you can use Fdisk on a Windows 98 Startup diskette to
    toggle the active partition.

    A safe way of going about this would be to create an NT floppy boot
    diskette, see here: http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/ntboot/

    Of course if all of this utterly fails all you have to do is boot the
    machine with the Windows XP installation disk and when at the
    disk/partition selection screen delete all the partitions and then
    create a new one and format it NTFS for the new Windows XP installation.
    To avoid potential drive letter assignment mix ups reboot the computer
    and restart the Windows XP setup program

    John

    John John - MVP, Nov 1, 2009
  12. occam

    occam Guest

    [THANKS]: How to make a dual boot PC into single boot?

    occam wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I found an old Win98 PC, and decided to install Win XP on it (Drive D:)
    > to see if it would be too slow. It was not, even with 196 (!) MB of RAM.
    >
    > My question - how can I keep the Win XP and uninstall Win 98? (Right
    > now, on boot up, I get offered to boot up in either.)
    >
    > I have tried to reformat C: drive, but the system will not allow it.
    >
    > Thanks

    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and advice. I have now managed
    to install XP on the C: partition and clear out the D: partition for data.

    occam, Nov 2, 2009