David H. Lipman

From: "Dan Flan said:
Got a virus, Norton didn't catch it. Couldn't get rid of it. Saved
data (to DVDs). Reinstalled Windows 7. Loaded data and got the virus
again.

Once again I've reinstalled Windows 7. I haven't reloaded my backup
data yet for fear of getting the virus again.

How can I reload my data without getting the virus?

What "virus" ?

Please be specific as to the name of the "virus".

Dan Flan

What "virus" ?

Please be specific as to the name of the "virus".

Norton never actually detected it. But after stupidly clicking on a
questionable 'plugin' my browsers were routinely hijacked, etc.

RayLopez99

Got a virus, Norton didn't catch it.  Couldn't get rid of it.  Saved
data (to DVDs). Reinstalled Windows 7.  Loaded data and got the virus
again.

Once again I've reinstalled Windows 7.  I haven't reloaded my backup
data yet for fear of getting the virus again.

How can I reload my data without getting the virus?

Could be a hardware problem. Often that's mistaken as a virus. For
instance, I installed memory, it did not seat correctly, and I got all
kinds of 'virus-like' symptoms. Thus a virus with no name. But once
I reseated the memory the 'virus' went away.

RL

David H. Lipman

From: "Dan Flan said:
Norton never actually detected it. But after stupidly clicking on a
questionable 'plugin' my browsers were routinely hijacked, etc.

That does NOT sound like a virus and if you saved data to DVD media then it is truely
doubtful that that it was a plugin on said data disk.

To help resolve this issue, we need to start from the beginning with all facts surrounding
the event(s) with no preconceptions of a "virus" as your intial post indicates.

Dan Flan

I do not have the plug-in anymore. I reinstalled Windows

I believe it is a virus because when I clicked in a search engine I am
often rerouted to a BS website. Popups happen regularly. All started
IMMEDIATELY after installing the "plug-in."

David H. Lipman

From: "Dan Flan said:
I do not have the plug-in anymore. I reinstalled Windows

I believe it is a virus because when I clicked in a search engine I am
often rerouted to a BS website. Popups happen regularly. All started
IMMEDIATELY after installing the "plug-in."

That is STILL not evidence of a virus. That is a preconcieved notion.

All viruses are malware but NOT all malware are viruses. Viruses arfe a distinct class of
malware that self replicates which means it spreads by itself unlike trojans which need
assistance. If you TRULY had a virus that you would be at risk or re-infection and very
easily at that. The fact that Norton/Symantec did not detect also is an indication that
it was not a virus as that is one class of malware that Norton/Symantec is very good at
dealing with. It is the non-viral malware that Norton/Symantec is not that good at
anymore.

You also keep saying "plug-in" but do not provide any substantiating information as to
what that "plug-in" was, what Browser it installed into (Firefox, IE, Opera ?) and where
you obtained that un-named "plug-in".

That "plug-in" may have been malicious and it may have been a trojan but I seriously doubt
it was a virus. But, we'll never know and you didn't get a chance to laern from this
event.

RayLopez99

That "plug-in" may have been malicious and it may have been a trojan but I seriously doubt
it was a virus.  But, we'll never know and you didn't get a chance to laern from this
event.

LOL with your attitude it's a wonder anybody has downloaded your
antivirus vanity-ware. You like batting zero-for-infinity don't ya?

RL

Dustin

Could be a hardware problem. Often that's mistaken as a virus. For
instance, I installed memory, it did not seat correctly, and I got all
kinds of 'virus-like' symptoms. Thus a virus with no name. But once
I reseated the memory the 'virus' went away.

What virus like symptoms? Describe them. I know what happens if ram is
bad and/or seated incorrectly and it causes errors which are not virus
like at all. Any hardware geek would know what was up pretty damn
quickly. So what did you experience? And don't lie, other pc techs roam
these halls. :)

Buffalo

RayLopez99 said:
LOL with your attitude it's a wonder anybody has downloaded your
antivirus vanity-ware. You like batting zero-for-infinity don't ya?

RL
Lopez, you've got to be kidding, or you are just uninformed.
Buffalo

David H. Lipman

From: "Dustin said:
What virus like symptoms? Describe them. I know what happens if ram is
bad and/or seated incorrectly and it causes errors which are not virus
like at all. Any hardware geek would know what was up pretty damn
quickly. So what did you experience? And don't lie, other pc techs roam
these halls. :)

;-)

FromTheRafters

Buffalo said:
Lopez, you've got to be kidding, or you are just uninformed.
Buffalo
"I've found through years of provocative posting--some wrongly call it
'trolling'--that name calling and the occasional use of CAPITAL
LETTERS and EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!--not to mention ad hominem attacks,
get your posts replied to and read more often. Sorry but that's the
way human nature works--the squeaking wheel gets the grease--as both
the existence of Madison Avenue and neon lights attest to."

RayLopez99

<8782427b-966d-46e5-b4f1-ed14d8a07852@w18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>

Nobody > (Revisited)

LOL with your attitude it's a wonder anybody has downloaded your
antivirus vanity-ware. You like batting zero-for-infinity don't ya?

RL

Usual RayLopez99 crap.
The only reason I read this post is because T-Bird doesn't do killfile
on replies.

Mr Lipman may be running his stuff as vanity-ware, but it works. I've
sent many friends his way for that, and it works.

*You* don't work. You offer absolutely nothing except flake.

--
"Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping

Nobody > (Revisited)

Lopez, you've got to be kidding, or you are just uninformed.
Buffalo

He's a flake. KF fodder.

--
"Shit this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
out of the alleyway with a baseball bat,
saying, "Remember me motherfucker?"
Jim “Dandy” Mangrum

RayLopez99

What virus like symptoms? Describe them. I know what happens if ram is
bad and/or seated incorrectly and it causes errors which are not virus
like at all.

Really? Well that's your opinion. I got stuff like USB hub would not
work. Got stuff like taking forever to load programs. And all this
after the memtest that's famous and used for testing RAM passed with
flying colors for this improperly seated memory. Seating the memory
solved the virus like false positive.

RL

RayLopez99

"I've found through years of provocative posting--some wrongly call it
'trolling'--that name calling and the occasional use of CAPITAL
LETTERS and EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!--not to mention ad hominem attacks,
get your posts replied to and read more often.  Sorry but that's the
way human nature works--the squeaking wheel gets the grease--as both
the existence of Madison Avenue and neon lights attest to."

RayLopez99

<8782427b-966d-46e5-b4f1-ed14d8a07...@w18g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>

Thanks shiite head, for confirming my point, you infirm pointy headed
basturd.

RL

RayLopez99

Usual RayLopez99 crap.
The only reason I read this post is because T-Bird doesn't do killfile
on replies.

Mr Lipman may be running his stuff as vanity-ware, but it works. I've
sent many friends his way for that, and it works.

*You* don't work. You offer absolutely nothing except flake.

Bulshit and you know it. I offer opinion--that's entertaining and
informative. "Mister" Lipman offers something that all major
antivirus houses offer for free now--that's a virus scanner. But
using Mister Lipman's shit will cause you grief: since you can get
better shit from the multi-million dollar software houses that hire
teams of programmers. Kaspersky, Norton, etc etc. So using Lipman's
shit will give a user a false sense of security. As such, it's at
best vanity-ware, at worse itself a form of social engineering malware
and facilitator of spreading virsuses.

RL

David H. Lipman

From: "RayLopez99 said:
Bulshit and you know it. I offer opinion--that's entertaining and
informative. "Mister" Lipman offers something that all major
antivirus houses offer for free now--that's a virus scanner. But
using Mister Lipman's shit will cause you grief: since you can get
better shit from the multi-million dollar software houses that hire
teams of programmers. Kaspersky, Norton, etc etc. So using Lipman's
shit will give a user a false sense of security. As such, it's at
best vanity-ware, at worse itself a form of social engineering malware
and facilitator of spreading virsuses.

Hey, ****ing moron...

My Multi-AV Scanning Tool provides the scanners of; Avira, Emsisoft, Sophos, Trend Micro
and Kaspersky.

I did not write an antivirus engine and signatures.

I wrote a kernel around vendor's command line scanners.

This includes a special license from Avira specifically provided to me for my utility's
use of their command line scanner and expressed permission and approval from Christian
Mairoll of Emsisoft for the use of his scanner.

gufus

Hello, David!

My Multi-AV Scanning Tool provides the scanners of; Avira, Emsisoft,
Sophos, Trend Micro and Kaspersky.

I'll have to look at your tool one day, David. :)

-
With best regards, gufus. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)