How to go from Vista Premium 64 to 32?

Jacob

I just ordered a quad core desktop and I opted for the Vista Premium 64-bit
OS. After doing some reading I found that an important piece of software
won't work on 64. Is there any way that I can go down to 32? will my 64
product key work for 32 as well? What is the best way to go from my OEM 64
down to 32?

Jacob

One more question...I am a university student and can purchase a Vista
Ultimate 32 upgrade disk. I know that people usually use it to upgrade from
XP but can I use this upgrade disk to go from Premium 64 to Ultimate 32?

Rick Rogers

Hi,

Obtain an OEM 32-bit disk. Your product key will work with either 64 or 32
bit, but you will need the appropriate media.

Switching between 32 and 64 bit (either direction) requires a clean
installation, there is no upgrade/downgrade process.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Mike Hall - MVP

Jacob said:
I just ordered a quad core desktop and I opted for the Vista Premium 64-bit
OS. After doing some reading I found that an important piece of software
won't work on 64. Is there any way that I can go down to 32? will my 64
product key work for 32 as well? What is the best way to go from my OEM
64
down to 32?

You can't upgrade from 64bit to 32bit. You will need to purchase a full OEM
or retail 32bit version and perform a clean install..

Note that 64bit is not an upgrade from 32bit either. They are entirely
separate platforms..

--
Mike Hall - MVP
How to construct a good post..

Jacob

Thanks for the quick replies...my friend was able to do a clean install with
his student/faculty ultimate 32 upgrade disk. Could I also do this?

Bob F.

Only if you have a valid key.

--
Regards, BobF.
Jacob said:
Thanks for the quick replies...my friend was able to do a clean install
with
his student/faculty ultimate 32 upgrade disk. Could I also do this?

Jacob

I guess that I can go ahead and buy the Ultimate 32 upgrade from my school
and then do a clean install and I should be good to go.

R. C. White

Hi, Jacob.

You posted the identical message on microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general.
Colin Barnhorst helped you solve the problem there - but readers here in
vista.general don't know that, so they are trying again to "re-invent the
wheel" for you. :>(

When you MUST post the same message to more than one newsgroup, please
crosspost, rather than multi-post. That is, put all the NGs into the
Newsgroups box of a single message. That way, it will show up in all of
them. Responses will also show up in all the newsgroups, all in a single
coherent thread. Each responder can see what has already been suggested and
tried - and will know when your problem has been solved. And you won't have
to check multiple newsgroups to see all the responses.

(Oh, I just noticed that you are using the web-based interface to these
newsgroups, also known as discussion groups or Microsoft Communities. I'm
not sure how to cross-post in that interface, but instructions are probably
in the Help file.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA