How to go from Power Together Business X86 to X64

Rick Rogers

Hi Gary,

Where did you get the x86 version from? You're right in that your key should
work with either version.

The retail disks aren't out yet. When they are, purchasers will be able to
order the x64 bits (save for Ultimate which I understand will come with both
disks). Those with MSDN or Technet subscriptions have a download available.
Those that get it via their workplace or academia should consult with their
network/admin people.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Chad Harris

Good question, because the order doesn't have the ridiculously conceived
option to make people mail for 64 bit DVDs since I don't see a whole lot of
new computers that are X86 lol. Once again, MSFT is comporting with the
times after Jim Allchin has written repeatedly about the 64 bit world and
migration to it. Possibly this is an X86 bit offer only, but if you can get
to the right place, I imagine MSFT would send you a DVD if that's the way
forward for MSFT --making people who buy their Windows operating system
snail mail to get to X 64.

Here's what I've seen people do and I predict it is going to happen in a
wide spread way b ecause of MSFT's dumb did I say consummately stupid idea
of making people who buy their OS mail for an X64 DVD.

***People have been using their friend's Vista X64 DVD, putting in their
product key, and selecting X64. That is one alternative besides snail
mailing MSFT and having them snail mail the X64 DVD.***

You can do this while you're trying to contact Catalysis or MSFT.

Since MSFT says they are going to sell Vista via download, that is one more
alternative to the "buy our OS then mail and requist an X64 DVD".

It is one of the dumbest in a parade of dumb ideas that ocassionally emerge
from the Redmond campus --to have to mail for a 64 bit OS DVD when all the
new hardware MSFT has been pushing with their ridiculously inacurrate rating
system and their ridiculously inacurrate Upgrade Advisor.

Maybe my stores are off the planet but I don't see a helluva lot of new pcs
that are X86 and not duo core or more core.

If you want to go the very slow way and get the X64 DVD

See if you can get them to answer you:

https://microsoft.order-7.com/windowsvistaofficew-9/
https://microsoft.order-7.com/windowsvistaofficew-9/ContactUs.aspx
Windows Vista/Office 2007 W-9 Data Submission Admin:
(e-mail address removed)

https://microsoft.order-7.com/windowsvistaofficew-9/ContactUs.aspx

https://microsoft.order-7.com/windowsvistaofficew-9/ContactUs.aspx

http://catalysis.com/contactus.htm
Catalysis Corporation
1601 East John
Seattle, WA 98112

(t) :: 206.826.8000
(f) :: 206.826.8888

Best of luck,

CH

Chad Harris

He said it but you weren't familiar with it Rick. He got it from the free
promotion MSFT ran aimed predominantly at developers to watch 3 videos for
Vista and 3 videos for Office 2007 to get sent a free one.

The offer was here:

www.powertogether.com

His solution is simple. To get X64 on the box, he borrows friend's X64 DVD
and uses his key and gets the option to install X64.

In the long run, he can contact MSFT

1) via their support number and get routed to ask about requesting an 64 DVD
2) Borrow the directions from someone who buys a box of Vista that is not
Ultimate that allows him to send for a DVD so he'll have one.

But, if you have a Power Together Vista Business X86, simply borrowing
friend's DVD and using your product key will put X64 Vista Business on your
box. That's what scores of people who got the offer have been doing.

CH

Michael Cecil

Hi Gary,

Where did you get the x86 version from?

From the subject header he got it from the Power Together promotion but
they only sent the x86 disc. (Power Together was a promotion where you
watch some Vista informational videos and you get Vista or Office as a
reward.)
You're right in that your key should
work with either version.

The retail disks aren't out yet. When they are, purchasers will be able to
order the x64 bits (save for Ultimate which I understand will come with both
disks). Those with MSDN or Technet subscriptions have a download available.
Those that get it via their workplace or academia should consult with their
network/admin people.

Do you happen to have an URL where the x64 discs can be requested?

Rick Rogers

I would guess then that the program documentation should be consulted as to
whether or not x64 will be made available to those that took advantage of
the offer.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Chad Harris

You have to obtain it, and like I said what many of the Power Together
recipients have done is to obtain one from their friends who have X64.
Right now this population is a bit limited to people who got one through
Beta testing, possibly MVP Beta Testing, MSDN, Technet, possibly borrowed
one from their company, or advanced license purchase.

However, come Tuesday, Vista and its many many bugs will turn itself loose
on a lot of countries and there will be more friends with X64.

Why MSFT is having a mial for X64 DVD in any edition but Ultimate is beyond
the pale stupid.

I've heard the cost argument, but if you're selling a damn OS in a world
that is rapidly going X64 with your leader Jim Allchin evangelizing on this
very topic for the last two years, then you damn well owe it to your
customer base to put an X64 DVD in their packaging rather than to have some
goofey "mail us" if you want to have the DVD that almost every new machine
on sale is built for.

This is even more compelling when you know that MSFT has erected a framework
to intimidate the people who aren't knwolegable about the fact that their
ridiculous rating system and their false and inaccurate upgrade advisor are
designed basically to sell new hardware and intimidate people toward getting
new hardware that they don't necessarily need.

I don't think anyone can deny that the Vista marketing has been crafted to
push more people into new hardware than ever before, and I've read a few
thousand testamants with the tone that the hardware is necessary to take
advantage of Vista code and technology.

If you have a GB of RAM and a 2GHz P4 CPU, and you know how to take care of
computer hygeine for speed, than you can every conceivable feature in Vista
and run it fast.

You don't have to jump to 4GHz Dual Core or more, and if you wait, you're
going to get a helluva lot more bang for your buck in this direction.

CH

Chad Harris

Downloads are going to be available to everyone--the public will have access
to purchase Vista come January 30 through a MSFT site as has been announced
a month ago.

CH

Chad Harris

I agree.

Except, Rick, that they left this issue out of their program documentation.
One of the most thorough expositions of Power Together is on this Radio 9
thread with some input from the MSFT marketing manager/developer who
directed the program:

A pretty thorough Power Together thread is here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=270923

CH

Gary MCSE

Is there a a way to get a disk that will allow me to switch from the X86
version to X64?

CD key should work with either...but I prerfer the 64 bit version.

Where can one find the code for the 64 bit version?

Just Curious

Gary MCSE

Chad Harris

Gary--

The only links to download a 64-bit version right now are pirate links (not
legit), unless you want to pay the fee for joining Technet or MSDN or get a
MSFT Partner subscription (Action Pack) that includes software. MSFT has
said they will *sell via download from their sales site on Tuesday. That's
not what you want. MSFT has given you the OS--you just need a 64 bit DVD
and you're home free. Borrow one or ask them to send you one.

As I said

1) Either call MSFT and ask them if they'll send you a 64 bit DVD. You have
the key from the Power Together mailing.

2) Find someone on your block, at work, or on your campus whatever who has
a 64 bit Vista DVD and then use your key when it asks for a key and select
64 bit. Badda Bing.

3) Tuesday they roll out Vista. Go into a store or get one of your friends
who bought any edition besides ultimate to give you the address for sending
a 64 bit DVD.

It's going to be posted on here when someone gets hold of that address I
guarantee you.

Good luck,

CH

Gary MCSE

I received the "Power Together" copy for sitting through the webcasts by
Microsoft.
It is the Business Edition, which is fine but only X86 was sent.

Perhaps someone could send me a link to D/L the X64 version?

Thanks for all the replies.

Gary

Robert Firth

Yeah, but you would be downloading it from pirated sources. It could have
been tampered with.

--
/* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* Robert Firth *

dirty old man

FROM: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=270923

The link that was given to order 64 bit media is the following
one:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia

However as of today the site hasn't been put online yet; I'd
suggest trying Monday and Tuesday to see if it's available to
order from there by then.

I'm rather shocked that the "common retail versions" of
VISTA won't include 64 bit media; I have to assume that
very few "average consumers" are going to have the
knowledge, motivation, take the time to, and incur the expense
of jumping through an extra hurdle to get a 64 bit vista
version and then go through a painful 32 -> 64 upgrade.

Because of that I have to assume that the market penetration
will remain quite low of 64 bit installs on 64 bit
capable systems (almost anything sold as a relatively mid to
high end PC for the past couple of years). That's actually
quite regrettable since the lower consumer adoption rate
will cause "negative feedback" leading to lower degrees of
support by application / hardware / device driver vendors
which will lead to less compatibility, quality, and performance,
which in turn will fuel the "Who needs 64 bit?" perception.

All in all it's a shame since given the price of main memory
and the size of memory space needed for many graphics
cards (512M - 1GB) it's really very difficult to have even
3GB or more of system RAM and not have severe limitations
on the benefit or usability of it. I've already been experiencing
the problem, and lack of 64 bit is the thing that's kept me
from using 4GB RAM for two years already, hoping that
it'd be improved with VISTA but so far it seems problematic.

| Yeah, but you would be downloading it from pirated sources. It could have
| been tampered with.
|
| --
| /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
| * Robert Firth *
| * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
| * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
| * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
|
| | >I already have the cd-key, so I would not be downloading for the sake of
| >pirating the software...I just need the code is all.
| >
| > I would only join MSDN to get a cd-key...Understand My Point?
| >
| > Gary
| >
| > "Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
| > | >>
| >> Gary--
| >>
| >> The only links to download a 64-bit version right now are pirate links
| >> (not legit), unless you want to pay the fee for joining Technet or MSDN
| >> or get a MSFT Partner subscription (Action Pack) that includes software.
| >> MSFT has said they will *sell via download from their sales site on
| >> Tuesday. That's not what you want. MSFT has given you the OS--you just
| >> need a 64 bit DVD and you're home free. Borrow one or ask them to send
| >> you one.
| >>
| >> As I said
| >>
| >> 1) Either call MSFT and ask them if they'll send you a 64 bit DVD. You
| >> have the key from the Power Together mailing.
| >>
| >> 2) Find someone on your block, at work, or on your campus whatever who
| >> has a 64 bit Vista DVD and then use your key when it asks for a key and
| >> select 64 bit. Badda Bing.
| >>
| >> 3) Tuesday they roll out Vista. Go into a store or get one of your
| >> friends who bought any edition besides ultimate to give you the address
| >> for sending a 64 bit DVD.
| >>
| >> It's going to be posted on here when someone gets hold of that address I
| >> guarantee you.
| >>
| >> Good luck,
| >>
| >> CH

Gary MCSE

I already have the cd-key, so I would not be downloading for the sake of
pirating the software...I just need the code is all.

I would only join MSDN to get a cd-key...Understand My Point?

Gary

Chad Harris

I find it puzzling that they wouldn't just include the 64 bit DVD in all
editions. I don't know what the 64 bit migration graph will look like in 12
months, and 24 months out. We'll all see, but MSFT has been writing now
that it would happen faster rather than slower and it just seems odd they
wouldn't facilitate it. They have also geared their Windows server road
map towards that end. I guess they'll have the website to get the order
going, and I know they will also market Vista on a downloadable website for
purchase, but most people will want a DVD from MSFT in their hands for their
money I suspect.

Your points on 64 bit are well taken.

CH

dirty old man

Chad,

Sorry, I shouldn't have posted the whole quote. Those were the ideas
of the original poster.

Since DVDs only cost a few cents to produce and the boxes also obviously
have room to include the 64-bit disks, I think their motivation was that the
majority of purchasers would simply have no idea what the difference was.

And to avoid hysterical calls to retailers from frantic users, they just decided
that since Ultimate is so expensive and would probably mostly be purchased
by enthusiasts, they decided that not including both disks would make it easier
to avoid angry tech support calls and software returns.

I will purchase the full Ultimate edition Tuesday so I'm ok at least.

dom

"Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
|I find it puzzling that they wouldn't just include the 64 bit DVD in all
| editions. I don't know what the 64 bit migration graph will look like in 12
| months, and 24 months out. We'll all see, but MSFT has been writing now
| that it would happen faster rather than slower and it just seems odd they
| wouldn't facilitate it. They have also geared their Windows server road
| map towards that end. I guess they'll have the website to get the order
| going, and I know they will also market Vista on a downloadable website for
| purchase, but most people will want a DVD from MSFT in their hands for their
| money I suspect.
|
| Your points on 64 bit are well taken.
|
| CH
|

| | > FROM: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=270923
| >
| > The link that was given to order 64 bit media is the following
| > one:
| >
| > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia
| >
| > However as of today the site hasn't been put online yet; I'd
| > suggest trying Monday and Tuesday to see if it's available to
| > order from there by then.
| >
| > I'm rather shocked that the "common retail versions" of
| > VISTA won't include 64 bit media; I have to assume that
| > very few "average consumers" are going to have the
| > knowledge, motivation, take the time to, and incur the expense
| > of jumping through an extra hurdle to get a 64 bit vista
| > version and then go through a painful 32 -> 64 upgrade.
| >
| > Because of that I have to assume that the market penetration
| > will remain quite low of 64 bit installs on 64 bit
| > capable systems (almost anything sold as a relatively mid to
| > high end PC for the past couple of years). That's actually
| > quite regrettable since the lower consumer adoption rate
| > will cause "negative feedback" leading to lower degrees of
| > support by application / hardware / device driver vendors
| > which will lead to less compatibility, quality, and performance,
| > which in turn will fuel the "Who needs 64 bit?" perception.
| >
| > All in all it's a shame since given the price of main memory
| > and the size of memory space needed for many graphics
| > cards (512M - 1GB) it's really very difficult to have even
| > 3GB or more of system RAM and not have severe limitations
| > on the benefit or usability of it. I've already been experiencing
| > the problem, and lack of 64 bit is the thing that's kept me
| > from using 4GB RAM for two years already, hoping that
| > it'd be improved with VISTA but so far it seems problematic.

| > have
| > | been tampered with.
| > |
| > | --
| > | /* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
| > | * Robert Firth *
| > | * Windows Vista x86 RTM *
| > | * http://www.WinVistaInfo.org *
| > | * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
| > |
| > of

| > links
| > MSDN
| > software.
| > just
| > send

| > You

| > who
| > and

| > address

| > address I

| > by

| > Together
| > X64.

| > itself
| > X64.

| > is

| > damn
| > packaging
| > DVD

| > inaccurate

| > crafted
| > read a
| > necessary to

| > of

| > the

| > version.

| > |

Chad Harris

That line of reasoning could well be.

I actually feel that 64 bit migration is going to be faster than the quote
has represented, just because of the sales of 64 bit boxes and shelf space
in bricks and mortar or web sites that sell, and the simple impulse to try
out what seems to be newer and is perceived to be more capable and faster.
But maybe not.

CH

'

dirty old man

I also agree that very soon 64-bit will dominate. Now that there is a
mass market 64-bit OS available with a virtually identical familiar user
interface, there is very little price difference between a 32-bit and a 64-bit
processor, and more people demand 64-bit drivers for peripherals.

If the average user can be convinced that a 64-bit environment is faster,
can accomplish more, and is more stable, then 32-bit will go the way
of DOS.

Right now, however, when I try to explain what the difference is, my
friends get a pained look on their face and always just ask "Does
that mean it is better?"

dom

"Chad Harris" <fixvista-itneedsit.net> wrote in message
| That line of reasoning could well be.
|
| I actually feel that 64 bit migration is going to be faster than the quote
| has represented, just because of the sales of 64 bit boxes and shelf space
| in bricks and mortar or web sites that sell, and the simple impulse to try
| out what seems to be newer and is perceived to be more capable and faster.
| But maybe not.
|
| CH
|

| '
| | > Chad,
| >
| > Sorry, I shouldn't have posted the whole quote. Those were the ideas
| > of the original poster.
| >
| > Since DVDs only cost a few cents to produce and the boxes also obviously
| > have room to include the 64-bit disks, I think their motivation was that
| > the
| > majority of purchasers would simply have no idea what the difference was.
| >
| > And to avoid hysterical calls to retailers from frantic users, they just
| > decided
| > that since Ultimate is so expensive and would probably mostly be purchased
| > by enthusiasts, they decided that not including both disks would make it
| > easier
| > to avoid angry tech support calls and software returns.
| >
| > I will purchase the full Ultimate edition Tuesday so I'm ok at least.
| >
| > dom

| > | editions. I don't know what the 64 bit migration graph will look like
| > in 12
| > | months, and 24 months out. We'll all see, but MSFT has been writing
| > now
| > | that it would happen faster rather than slower and it just seems odd
| > they
| > | wouldn't facilitate it. They have also geared their Windows server
| > road
| > | map towards that end. I guess they'll have the website to get the order
| > | going, and I know they will also market Vista on a downloadable website
| > for
| > | purchase, but most people will want a DVD from MSFT in their hands for
| > their
| > | money I suspect.
| > |
| > | Your points on 64 bit are well taken.
| > |
| > | CH
| > |
| > |

| > | > |
| > | > |
| > sake

| > or
| > on
| > OS--you

| > DVD.

| > whatever
| > key

| > your

| > webcasts

| > have
| > one

| > Ultimate

| > in a
| > you
| > the

| > erected a
| > the

| > I've

| > take
| > conceivable

| > wait,
| > this

| > copy

| > from

| > | > |

| > |

Colin Barnhorst

So far as I can tell, the only machines being sold this week that are not
64bit capable are some Core Duo machines. Everything else in the big Vista
sale ads seem to have 64bit cpu's. The way is certainly clear for migration
to Vista x64 hardwarewise.

This is the first time we have had a consumer 64bit Windows so it will be
interesting to see how fast it goes. The hold back will come from
"experienced" users like us who will generally be behind the curve and
giving outdated advice on software and hardware incompatibilities.
Incompatibilities are not going to be much of an issue for these new system
buyers. It is us old timers who have all this legacy bric-a-brac clogging
up our computer spaces and causing us incompatibility issues.