    Locke

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-local-news-server-carry-news-groups-ftopict543127.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1712966

    cleako, Jun 7, 2005

  2. Cleako

    Read through this.. it will tell you how to access the Microsoft News
    server..

    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/guide/nntpnews.mspx

    It gets over the problem of trying to find relevant newsgroups on a local
    ISP server..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\), Jun 7, 2005

  3. cleako

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Cleako
    >
    > Read through this.. it will tell you how to access the Microsoft News
    > server..
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/guide/nntpnews.mspx
    >
    > It gets over the problem of trying to find relevant newsgroups on a local
    > ISP server..

    Nice, it says the same then I posted from the other reference:

    Once you have Outlook Express or another NNTP news reader installed on
    your computer, you=3Fre just one step away from being able to access our
    newsgroups. The remaining step comes when you click on a link to a
    newsgroup. At that point-if you haven=3Ft done so previously-you=3Fll be
    asked to provide configuration information. When prompted for News
    Server, specify msnews.microsoft.com.

    I only posted it because someone asked about it and I was screwing
    around and didn't remember which group - since we were talking about
    Usenet vs web in a couple groups I thought it might be worth explaining
    to lesser experienced people.

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Jun 7, 2005
  4. cleako

    Guest

    How about asking your ISP to carry them? Most should accomodate your
    request, since they are not "objectionable" groups (to most!), nor
    particularly large.

    or log into MS's free news server, as already suggested.

    , Jun 7, 2005